Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #21

I flew from New York to Atlanta, Georgia and purchased my 3171DS site unseen(except for pics) from National Indoor RV. Awesome experience and would consider my next purchase through them as well. I have had minor issues but contacted them and they were able to help me resolve them. Their motto is more geared towards service and after the sale which is why I like them.
Raz6200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #22

Good questions . . . good advise

Reading all the past posts . . . you have good advise on trying to figure things out. One thing I'd suggest, find a friend that is an RV'er to do the walk through with you and make sure the dealership doesn't rush it. You need to see how everything works . . . what to do . . . what not to do. Our walk through was not great and if I was a newbie . . . would have gotten some bad advise from the local dealership. We bought a 2015 3011DS after downsizing from a 40' diesel pusher. Our Ford 450 struggles a little bit up Raton Pass . . . but 24,000 miles later, very happy with out choice . . . storage . . . need storage ! ! We have plenty ! ! Happy Trails
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #23

Parents have a Forester on an F450 chassis, so I've researched the differences. Ford chassis has a higher GVWR and higher GCVWR which translates to more payload and more towing capacity. The V10 in the Ford has more torque at lower RPM than the Chevy, but the HP numbers I think are very close from memory. Just be prepared for more gear searching and downshifting with the Chevy since it needs to rev higher to achieve peak power. Many comments about more leg room in the Chevy. Might be a little easier to find a repair shop for the GM engine should the need arise.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:26 PM   #24

I brought my 2016 forester 3051 from Camping World, and I really like it I have already put over 20000 miles without any problems. The only problems were in the add on inside nothing earth shattering. This is my 2nd Class C and my third MH. I like the Class C because it is usually just my wife and I camping but occasionally my son and his wife will go with us and they sleep up in the loft.
radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #25

The Ford chassis is best for power and capacity, but be aware of the alignment issues with the twin I beam front end. I would insist on an alignment check from a good shop that has experience with the Ford or does commercial work. Our RV dealer lied to us on this issue, and despite my knowledge of the issue we ended up having to cover the cost of getting it right ourselves after ruining tires. Most of these are out of alignment from FR (they do not check them) and you will ruin tires or worse. If they are setup correctly (and there will be new bushings required) they will perform well.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by retireearly View Post
The Ford chassis is best for power and capacity, but be aware of the alignment issues with the twin I beam front end. I would insist on an alignment check from a good shop that has experience with the Ford or does commercial work. Our RV dealer lied to us on this issue, and despite my knowledge of the issue we ended up having to cover the cost of getting it right ourselves after ruining tires. Most of these are out of alignment from FR (they do not check them) and you will ruin tires or worse. If they are setup correctly (and there will be new bushings required) they will perform well.
If they're "out of alignment" from FR, then wouldn't they have been out of alignment when they got them from Ford? I would think this would be something to take up with Ford??????
Old 09-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #27
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We are noobies and bought brand new, MBS 2400W, in 2016 because my husband fell in love with the floor plan, roominess and diesel. Had to have diesel. We thought we did enough research but we didn't. Totally taken aback by the small amt of cargo and towing capacity.

Now, I wish we bought used because
#1 we didn't really know the questions to ask and what to research
#2 there is SO much to do to make it road worthy, like tire monitoring and the EMS thing, better fans etc, it adds up to lots of money.

Or course a lot of this is personal preference. I personally would not have changed out the truck radio like dear husband did and some people never have TPMS and EMS and other stuff. And husband didn't want used anyway.

All that being said, after about 7 long weekend trips in the past year, we didn't come up with a broken something on this last outing. Maybe things are looking up.

It's a ton of fun and some work. And you meet nice people.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
If they're "out of alignment" from FR, then wouldn't they have been out of alignment when they got them from Ford? I would think this would be something to take up with Ford??????
The alignment will vary depending on loading, weight distribution, etc. I do not see how Ford or any other manufacturer could align them until they are completed at the RV manufacturer.

In addition, as the company dealing with the actual buyer, it would be incumbent on the RV dealer to insure the vehicle is within specs, and this means alignment too.

I did not think of this issue until I read this posting but if it were me, I would not sign the papers until I had the alignment checked at a reputable shop of MY choosing, at the dealer's expense. In fact, the way to do that easily is to write it into the offer, "contingent upon", that alignment check. If they want the sale, and they DO, they won't have a problem with it.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #29

Yes, they are aligned by Ford but then FR goes and stretches the frames, loads the chassis to 80-90% of capacity (more than any other cutaway application) and sends them out the door. It is a huge issue that the industry tries to ignore.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:02 PM   #30

OK. I'm not an alignment expert. But my understanding is that if the alignment is on unloaded it should be when loaded. Toe in won't change. Camber should adjust as you load- adjusts with up and down movement of the suspension, I think???? Caster shouldn't change with loading. Once again, not an expert so maybe this isn't correct????
Old 09-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #31

Maybe if the action of building the RV loaded both axles equally it would not change, but that is not the case. In extending the frame and loading the rear axle the front wheel camber does change. The twin I beam used on the Ford is particularly sensitive. Also, the loading side to side can be an issue as well. Our unit was so bad that only the outer third of the tire was making pavement contact.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by retireearly View Post
Maybe if the action of building the RV loaded both axles equally it would not change, but that is not the case. In extending the frame and loading the rear axle the front wheel camber does change. The twin I beam used on the Ford is particularly sensitive. Also, the loading side to side can be an issue as well. Our unit was so bad that only the outer third of the tire was making pavement contact.
That makes sense. That twin i beam is a pain to align as well, if I understand correctly.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #33

2014 chassis

on our 2015 Forester 3011DS, built on a 2014 Ford chassis, took it in to have alignment checked at the 2 year mark. When to an industrial truck shop with good reviews. They said one side needed adjustment. The factory front end cannot be adjusted and I had to buy one that would replace the other. After driving through New York . . . need to get another check after 6 months ! !
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #34

Forest River may well reimburse up to $250 for a front end alignment if done shortly after getting your new motorhome. They did for us and adjustments were necessary. Have the tires balanced on the rear ended, too!
Madison: Cocker Spaniel Queen of the Home
Jrcoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #35

Having just bought a Forester 2861ds, had everything we liked plus an outside kitchen. We bought brand new to preserve all the warranties. Our RV is on a Ford 450 chassis. Steer clear of the Diesel engine! Too many problems! Bought in campers Inn in Jax FL where we had free parking on site and as many walk around as we wanted! Good Luck
We were happy with the purchase
Forester1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:22 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz6200 View Post
I flew from New York to Atlanta, Georgia and purchased my 3171DS site unseen(except for pics) from National Indoor RV. Awesome experience and would consider my next purchase through them as well. I have had minor issues but contacted them and they were able to help me resolve them. Their motto is more geared towards service and after the sale which is why I like them.

We bought our 2016 3011DS from them when they were in Stone Mtn GA temporary location. They have since moved to the Lawrenceville (ATL) location about 10 min from my home. Great people and great service too! They treated us as if we had bought the most expensive Class A on their lot!
Had a problem Tues morning with LP alarm going off that we assumed was a battery/converter problem. I called my service advisor and told him what happened and his first response was “when can you bring it in?”
(Not “we have an opening in October”). I was there in 20 minutes.They had it ready Thurs morning, but I was at work until 9 that night, and we were leaving early this morning on a camping trip. No problem. My wife went up and paid the bill, and he gave us the gate code. We drove there after hours and it was waiting there for us. I’m looking out over Lake Lanier right now. Couldn’t be happier with them.
Rvrphdawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester