Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #1

Covered Storage w/electric

I recently moved into a commercial RV storage lot with covered spaces and 20 amp electric. I like the convenience of the A/C socket for working on the rig and precooling the fridge a day before a trip, etc.
My question is am I causing any harm/extra wear of my inverter, battery charging system, computer, and the million other things that are working in the back ground that I don't even know about. I leave the coach battery switch ON now.
When I was in other storage places W/O electric I would turn off the house battery switch and my self installed engine battery switch. For long periods of time in storage.
I realize that all the systems are powered up during my 3 month winter escape to warmer areas and no harm is done. It just seems to me that eventually everything wears out don't add more time to the drop dead clock if you don't need to.
Anyone have thoughts on this?
Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:45 PM   #2

Hailey,

When mine is not in use, it has been plugged in at our house for basically 18 months ! Living here in FL, I leave the A.C on all summer ! What you should check on is the battery fluid levels, and add distilled water when needed, and for me that has been twice!

Good luck !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Hailey, I think you are overthinking things a bit.

Is it a good idea to check on the battery(ies) if the rig is left plugged in 24/7... Absolutely. You should be in a habit of checking them anyway... at all times.

Worrying about all the other things in the background having their drop dead date accelerated is simply concern not needed.

Do you go around in your home and unplug everything you are not using at that moment?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:54 PM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I wouldn't leave things like tha AC, fridge or furnace running when unattended for long periods of time.

However, leaving it plugged in to keep the battery up would be OK.

When I still had my house in Denver, my RV's were plugged in 24/7...mostly just to keep the battery charged.

Now that I live in a park model in a +55 RV resort, my 5'ver is in the back storage lot with the battery in my shed on a trickle charger...

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

Do you go around in your home and unplug everything you are not using at that moment?
Funny, here in Yuma, AZ all of our OTA TV stations come out of El Centro, CA...

And the public service messages from the CA power companies tell us to conserve energy by unplugging everything we are not using.

I'm conserving by pulling the plug on cable and/or DirecTV/Dish.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:21 PM   #6

We park our fiver beside the house when we are home. Always plugged in. Usually leave the propane on. Turn the batteries off with a disconnect when they are fully charged. We turn off the WH, water pump, and HVAC. We basically leave the fridge on permanently. Only turn it off to defrost occasionally.

Not really concerned with wearing anything out.

We use our RV frequently so it's never stored for more than a few weeks.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post

I wouldn't leave things like tha AC, fridge or furnace running when unattended for long periods of time.
I guess I should have clarified that I meant at a storage facility or lot away from home.

Tags
cover, electric, forester, storage