Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2015, 08:33 PM   #1

Crack, What Am I Looking At?

This is a crummy picture. For reference, this is the leading edge of the seam where the front cap wraps under and meets the trim piece.
There is about a 4" crack and I can see yellow showing. Is this just a backing material at the seam? Or am I looking at cracked fiberglass?
If it is just a lousy caulk line, I can fix that. I have had this thing home for a week and really don"t feel like toasting a vacation day to bring it back to the dealer if it is nothing major.

2015 Sunseeker 3010ds
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:34 PM   #2

Sorry, forgot to mention, 2015 Sunseeker 3010.

2015 Sunseeker 3010ds
Old 03-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #3

From the picture, it doesn't appear to be cracked. Backing material showing through would be my guess, but it sure wouldn't hurt anything to run a caulk line if it's of any concern at all. I would.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
From the picture, it doesn't appear to be cracked. Backing material showing through would be my guess, but it sure wouldn't hurt anything to run a caulk line if it's of any concern at all. I would.
Thanks for reenforcing what I was thinking. It got driven in a hard rain, apparently like this, and if I push hard on it a little moisture smashes out. I figured I would give it a few days and then caulk. Proflex? Or something else you would recommend?

2015 Sunseeker 3010ds
Old 03-01-2015, 11:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
. Proflex? Or something else you would recommend?
I would stick with the ProFlex myself. Good stuff! It will adhere to slightly damp or frozen surfaces, but if it were me, I would most definitely want all of that moisture out of there before caulking.

You 'could' patch the fiberglass, but that's much more involved, and with the location of it, caulking shouldn't detract from your rigs appearance.

Considering the location.. good catch!!!
Old 03-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #6

Why would you want to fix it??? Is this not a warranty issue???? To keep crack from spreading drill a 1/16" hole at each end of crack.......
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
Why would you want to fix it??? Is this not a warranty issue????
Sometimes you have to consider the opportunity costs. For $12-$14 he can pick up a tube of ProFlex (which he will use again on other things.. so basically $.25 of ProFlex) and 10 minutes of his time and never even have to move his rig or interrupt any 'quality time'.

Warranty work could take weeks to even get it in.. the expense of towing it to the dealer than back home again.. and the warranty repair could take weeks or months to even get done. Not even considering the major disruption in his 'quality time' schedule.

It just t'aint worth a $.25/10 minute fix.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #8

This will go on my punch list of things to keep an eye on/fix under warranty down the road. I try not to deprive myself during prime camping season. With my last couple of campers, barring a major malfunction, I fix it and add it to the list then do it all at the end of the season.

2015 Sunseeker 3010ds
Old 03-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #9
Commercial Member

I can't tell from the picture but I doubt it is a fiberglass crack in that location. There is a metal trim piece that goes over the cap seam all the way around and then a vinyl piece goes over the top of that. They probably caulked the edge and there is a crack in the caulking. That is a surface mount trim.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote