Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2021, 02:33 PM   #1

Crappy Door locks - Beware

I have had this happen once before on my GD trailer (read that the way you want) and I guess I though the Dexter system on the Forester would be better and it’s not. - I wanted to come up and check on my 2020 Forester, run the engine, generator etc. I stepped outside and when trying to get back in, the handle-lock jammed as if were locked. My only keys within an hour drive, were in the ignition and the front cab doors were locked because I entered in via the coach. Fortunately and after some panic, I was able to use some extra mechanical encouragement to flip the handle and get in. I’m definitely upgrading that lock system. I hope Dexter is not the low bid supplier any aircraft parts...
WVrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:21 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Dexter? or Tri-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7DA3CB4-8823-4FA8-8F32-BCA2A7FA5523.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	246549  
Old 01-24-2021, 10:00 PM   #3

The door is a Dexter. I’ll take a look - I am now at the place with both sets of keys :-)
WVrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:50 AM   #4

I make it a practice that anytime I close a vehicle’s door while the only set of key(s) are still inside, I lower the window first. I never close all doors while the only set of keys are inside the vehicle, without some other option to get back inside. You just can’t 100% trust mechanical or electrically activated locks.

It’s also a good idea to hide a spare key somewhere outside the motorhome. That way if you exit the motorhome during normal camping activities, and the keys are inside, there is still another key accessible outside the RV.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:23 PM   #5

Forester door lock

I have a 2016 Forester and had problems with the door lock. I decided I was going to get a new set and decided that RV Lock had what I needed. I got an electric door lock with digital buttons on it, and remote Fob for access. I am very happy with it, had it for 3 years and never had a problem.
johnshoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, lock