Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2016, 10:40 PM   #1
Chief tinkerer

Dangerous Blind Spot on Side Camera 2017 3010DS

I contacted my dealer, described the condition where the new location of the passenger side, side camera's field of vision is obstructed by the coach door hinge. This prevents you from seeing a vehicle overtaking you on the right side and gives you a false sense that it is clear to change lanes. The camera simply needs either spaced out further or a taller camera installed so it protrudes past the coach door hinge.
The reply from my dealer's warranty department was that his contact at Sunseeker said that they do not have a repair for this problem. Beware of this hazard and lack of interest and urgency in correcting it by Sunseeker.
Attached Images

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
Chief tinkerer

Just dropped it off at Three Way Campers in Marietta for them to see what they can do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1465055014474.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	110115   Click image for larger version

Name:	1465055041059.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	110116  

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 06-05-2016, 01:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Just dropped it off at Three Way Campers in Marietta for them to see what they can do.

Did they move the camera from the mirror? My 2016 3171 has the side cameras mounted in the side mirrors . No problem with side view.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Difficult problem and there doesn't seem to be much room there. They could just put a small spacer under the camera to move the lens out so that it can see beyond the hinge. relatively simple fix but hopefully it is forward enough that the door doesn't contact it when opens beyond 90 degrees. Won't take much, maybe 1/2 if an inch. A white nylon plate under the camera should do it and even allow them to nudge the camera forward to clear the door.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:51 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I contacted my dealer, described the condition where the new location of the passenger side, side camera's field of vision is obstructed by the coach door hinge. This prevents you from seeing a vehicle overtaking you on the right side and gives you a false sense that it is clear to change lanes. The camera simply needs either spaced out further or a taller camera installed so it protrudes past the coach door hinge.
The reply from my dealer's warranty department was that his contact at Sunseeker said that they do not have a repair for this problem. Beware of this hazard and lack of interest and urgency in correcting it by Sunseeker.
Is it possible for you to make a spacer to get it out past the hinge and use longer screws? Just make sure you caulk behind the spacer and the screws.
Another possible solution is move the camera to another location and add a cover to the old position.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:14 AM   #6

Here's a thought. Why not just use your mirrors, like in the old days.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:31 AM   #7
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Difficult problem and there doesn't seem to be much room there. They could just put a small spacer under the camera to move the lens out so that it can see beyond the hinge. relatively simple fix but hopefully it is forward enough that the door doesn't contact it when opens beyond 90 degrees. Won't take much, maybe 1/2 if an inch. A white nylon plate under the camera should do it and even allow them to nudge the camera forward to clear the door.
I have the same unit and the door does not contact the camera. Camera is far enough ahead of the door and door is restricted by the gas strut.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:37 AM   #8

Great. Then it is easy. small chunk of 1/2" nylon or other white plastic, some sealant and the camera will won't be blocked by the hinge.

2015 335DS
Old 06-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Red Souvine would use his mirrors but this is 2016. The spacer mentioned looks like the best option.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Wow!!! What a great idea!!! Never realized you could use em for that.
Seriously, my mirrors have both the regular and convex lenses, and I have no problem with seeing all I need to on both sides of our Lexi.
The side view camera's may be a convience, but think about what you used in the olden days...a mirror.
Next everyone will be thinking of a way to check the airpressure in the tires without using a tire pressure guage!!!
What will they think of next?
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Wow!!! What a great idea!!! Never realized you could use em for that...The side view camera's may be a convience, but think about what you used in the olden days...a mirror.
Next everyone will be thinking of a way to check the airpressure in the tires without using a tire pressure guage!!!
What will they think of next?
Grumpy
X2! Even on a 5er.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #12

Quote:
We used to do a lot of things in the old days that we don't do anymore. Like walking to school (up hill both ways). May we should abolish school busses. Vehicles at one time did not have seatbelts. Maybe we should have them removed from the vehicle along with airbags. At one time we didn't have them either.

The OP should not get chastised for wanting a piece of equipment that was paid for to work properly.

I hope the OP finds a solution to the problem.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:15 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkarper14 View Post
We used to do a lot of things in the old days that we don't do anymore. Like walking to school (up hill both ways). May we should abolish school busses. Vehicles at one time did not have seatbelts. Maybe we should have them removed from the vehicle along with airbags. At one time we didn't have them either.

The OP should not get chastised for wanting a piece of equipment that was paid for to work properly.

A simple spacer is all that is required.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkarper14 View Post

The OP used words like, hazard, urgency, false sense to address his issue and I did try to make the issue a trivial one but those cameras (side view on MH's) cannot be relied upon to accomplish what a properly adjusted set of side view mirrors are there for. If the OP is going to rely on those cameras as the only source of what he speaks of he will have trouble ahead and God forbid they go inoperative. What will he do, what will he do. At present time those cameras are not part of any safety item on my state annual vehicle safety inspection. Some of those items you speak of are safety items and some of those are required by a law. To me, right now, side mounted cameras on my MH is just a sales gimmick. They don't accomplish a thing for me that my mirrors don't and I haven't removed my mirrors yet. The sky is not falling. I'm done
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:02 PM   #15

Quote:
...I'm done
of course, everything you say is true. I use both my side mirrors as well as my side view cameras. They are nice to have and there is no reason that they shouldn't work correctly. I do agree that as long as there are side mirrors it doesn't rise to the level of a safety recall. Kinda surprised though that FR didn't see the problem and simply fix it. A $0.25 piece of plastic would have given the OP a nice clear view...from both side cameras and side mirrors.

Must admit, however, that the rear camera is another thing entirely. My coach does not have a rear view mirror...at all, even though it could have had one!!!

Something tells me that is a safety issue and somebody is looking at this so that a vehicle can be sold with no rear view whatsoever with the except of the camera system. Has to be a requirement there.

2015 335DS
Old 06-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #16
Chief tinkerer

Thanks for the comments, suggestions, advice, and other, uh, words of wisdom? Yes, the cameras moved from the mirrors to the corners after the 2016. No idea why. I agree that a short spacer would take care of it and as mentioned would still be clear of the door path. I was able to reach inside and feel the back of the mount tube and hope it is long enough to accommodate a thick enough spacer. Dealer has it and will fab up whatever is needed and who knows, maybe the folks in Indiana will eventually start slipping a chunk of plastic under it when they put it in the hole.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 06-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Yes, the cameras moved from the mirrors to the corners after the 2016. No idea why.
Apparently there was too much vibration in the mirrors so the cameras were moved. At least that is what I was told.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:22 PM   #18
Chief tinkerer

That sounds plausible. Thanks for sharing. I also believe it's possible that their engineers did a mock up of this on a model with a mid coach door and it worked great.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 06-09-2016, 04:31 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
I also believe it's possible that their engineers did a mock up of this on a model with a mid coach door and it worked great.
That could be as I don't have the issue with our mid-door GTS.

I'd expected the cameras to be on the front fenders, per the brochure, and that's where they were on our MBS. That location worked fairly well on the MBS setup.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #20
Chief tinkerer

Just a quick update if anyone is following/interested. When we arrived to pick it up yesterday, the item on the work order was signed off as shimmed per factory instructons. I was very please until I looked and there was no shim that we could see and no change to the blind spot from the coach door hinge. The Tech that did the work wasn't on duty to explain what he had done and I almost accepted it with the intent of fixing it myself but since the Jensen GPS was still crashing I left it and asked them to try again on both of these warranty items.

C'mon Forest River, Josh, this is your new design for 2017 and it's not right.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS