Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
Sunseeker 2500TS owner

Dealer would not do warranty work

We have a Forest River Sunseeker 2014 2500TS, bought new in May from a dealer in PA. There is a local dealer in MD, only one in MD, who we went to last Thursday. We are looking to have several options added, maybe 5k dollars in cost. Since we would be leaving the 2500TS there for that work we asked about having some minor warranty work done. Door latch bad, 1/3 led light does not work on control panel, maybe 30 minutes work. I even offered to install myself if they could get me the parts. First answer we got was they would NOT do any warranty work since we did not buy it there. Service manager then said only if we had other options added work done they would take care of the door latch and led, but they had to get FR approval first, nothing could be done in less than 4 weeks, and the kicker was if FR paid them less than their normal service charge rates, we would have to make up the difference. Needless to say we were shocked, walked out of the place, and said I would let FR know, they said go right ahead and tell FR.
So much for nationwide FR warranty service. Anybody know where I can the parts?
ejkkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #2

I cant imagine a dealer turning down an opportunity to make some $$. Someone else may be in the know more than me but I'd think that a dealer makes the same amount for warranty work on a trailer they sold and for a trailer they didnt sell. Payment comes from Forest River...right?

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
Commercial Member

You can call the coachnet number to find your closest dealer (other than the one in MD), if you want to find another possible service center.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #4

Contact Forest River directly, explain, and see if they can recommend a solution.

Also, Please consider posting this dealership's name so we all know who to stay away from. If it starts with a B then it's probably my closest authorized repair place too.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Unless warrenty work on the coach part of a class C is different than any other trailer, this behavior is in line with industry practice, which is an unfortunate reality.

I don't think its FR's fault either as the industry as a whole works with their dealers this way.

What is happening, is that the dealer is exercising their "option" to help you with the warranty work or not. You can read this in your Sunseeker brochure where the last page states that dealers are independent and do work at their discretion; especially with customers who haven't bought from them.

That dealer is really short-sighted in my option and feel free to post who they were and your experience in our Dealer Review section if you want.

Maybe someone at FR can find a service center willing to do the work.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Main service number for Sunseeker/Forester/Lexington/Solera is 574-206-7600

Old 09-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejkkj View Post
We have a Forest River Sunseeker 2014 2500TS, bought new in May from a dealer in PA. There is a local dealer in MD, only one in MD, who we went to last Thursday. We are looking to have several options added, maybe 5k dollars in cost. Since we would be leaving the 2500TS there for that work we asked about having some minor warranty work done. Door latch bad, 1/3 led light does not work on control panel, maybe 30 minutes work. I even offered to install myself if they could get me the parts. First answer we got was they would NOT do any warranty work since we did not buy it there. Service manager then said only if we had other options added work done they would take care of the door latch and led....
Pretty short-sighted on the part of the dealership to turn down $5K in customer-paid work over a couple of minor service issues that FR would pay them for, anyway.

You mention that your conversations were with the service manager. Maybe a letter directly to the owner might be in order, but even if he/she then agreed to do the warranty work, I'm not sure I'd go back and give them my money to have the options added.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
Sunseeker 2500TS owner

I felt funny about posting the dealers name since I have dealt with them before but the clue was there is only one FR Sunseeker dealer in MD, its is Leo's in Gambrills.
I knew Leo the man who started it years ago and bought a slide in pick camper from him many years ago. He has since passed on. My wife and I like to keep our business local if we can and we were not impressed with the dealer we purchased our 2500TS from. We tried to buy our 2500TS from Leo's but they sold the only one they had a couple days before were ready to buy and they told us they would not get another one in for 6 months or so if then. We have done business with a lot of local business people and we have never been treated like this before.
ejkkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
Always Learning

IMO, if Leo's doesn't want to work with you on the warranty stuff, they don't deserve your $5k in options. Walk, don't run in my opinion. That's crazy!

Call the number that Brian provided above and find someone who's willing to work with you.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #10

Well the best advice is to contact Forest River as posted above. One place near me is Custom Coach, 8332 Pulaski Hwy Baltimore, MD 21237 410-687-7200. They will ask you to get FR approval 1st. A very good place.

I bought my TT from Chesaco RV 911 Pulaski Hwy, Joppa, MD 410-679-0000. They have been OK for me just not real fast. There is an RV show starting the 12th so they are booked solid for a while. The same company has dealers in Gambris, MD & Fredrick, MD.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
Site Team

unfortunately, as Triguy said, this is pretty standard behavior from RV dealers.
don't assume the RV world works like the Auto world.
the only thing they have in common is dealerships and things on wheels.

out here in Calif., the 3 dealers that sold our trailer, were 40% higher than dealers in the Midwest. i was told the same thing by all three, that if i didn't buy from them, they would NOT do the warranty work. and this was back in 2006.
i contacted FR and they found other local dealers more than willing to do the warranty work, one being in my hometown.
so we bought ours from a dealer in Chicago and never had any issues getting the warranty work done, back at home.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #12

Don't spend a dime at that place. They don't want your business, only you money.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
Average Joe

I'm watching this one closely... Since I'm buying my MH from a dealer many miles away. It's disappointing that Leo's is acting that way. I tried to get pricing from a sales kid there, but he didn't respond. Good grief...

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #14

Funny... I just posted a service review here. I purchased a distance away but finding service locally sucks. Period. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post462228

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejkkj View Post
We have a Forest River Sunseeker 2014 2500TS, bought new in May from a dealer in PA. There is a local dealer in MD, only one in MD, who we went to last Thursday. We are looking to have several options added, maybe 5k dollars in cost. Since we would be leaving the 2500TS there for that work we asked about having some minor warranty work done. Door latch bad, 1/3 led light does not work on control panel, maybe 30 minutes work. I even offered to install myself if they could get me the parts. First answer we got was they would NOT do any warranty work since we did not buy it there. Service manager then said only if we had other options added work done they would take care of the door latch and led, but they had to get FR approval first, nothing could be done in less than 4 weeks, and the kicker was if FR paid them less than their normal service charge rates, we would have to make up the difference. Needless to say we were shocked, walked out of the place, and said I would let FR know, they said go right ahead and tell FR.
So much for nationwide FR warranty service. Anybody know where I can the parts?
CALL FR they will tell you the dealer does not have to perform any warranty work and honestly for what FR reimburses for the work any dealer that is busy with paying customers will turn away a non-customer. read the back of most of the factory advertisements it spells out why they encourage local buying.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #16

In most areas there are mobile RV mechanics (independent guys, but approved by suppliers like Dometic, etc.) who will happily repair your RV.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
In most areas there are mobile RV mechanics (independent guys, but approved by suppliers like Dometic, etc.) who will happily repair your RV.
X2
I have two that I know about. One of them is a non-FR dealer who wants the service work.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #18

I guess with RV sales booming this year dealers can be picky. In general I always do my own work including warranty work. I have had decent luck with warranty work on new vehicles in convincing dealers to give me the new parts to install and I return the old ones. I assume they just charge the manufacturer as if they did the work and get 100% profit. No problem with me as I know the work was done right and nothing else got broken or damaged in the process.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #19
Commercial Member

I agree with you there. Frankly I just hate the inconvenience of it. If I take it in to a shop...I need shuttled back and forth, its a hassle. If they come out...I'm waiting around for someone to show up between the hours of 8am to 4pm.

Get me the part, I'll fix it at my leisure.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #20
Always Learning

I generally agree- but there are parts and aspects that I'm not comfortable wrenching on... ESPECIALLY if I had a driveable/MH. At the end of the day, there are a lot of times that you have to take it to someone else for them to do the work.

I think this dealer is being incredibly shortsighted in their decision. YES- it's their right and how the RV industry commonly works, but I still think it's a bad "bidness" decision.

Tags
dealer, warranty