Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #1

Dinette modification, Sunseeker 2300

Have started another modification on my 2013 unit. Am changing out the typical dinette booth that has the fold up - fold down table. Have decided to remove the table assembly completely and replace with a half size (24in x 24in) table mounted on a removable metal pedestal.

Also I bought a square of 24in x 24in plywood at Lowe's, so I can insert this into the vacant space between the benches when needed.

I have found that I can make a nice lounge with several big pillows when I feel like napping. (Naps are my friend)

I tried napping with the full size table, but often found that I slid down under the table and it was hard to then get up. And it seems that I have much more useful space with the half size table.

While I had the cushions removed, I unscrewed the plywood seat bases to see what was down there (my unit has long pull drawers under the seats). Well, I found some extra space down there. Would make some good extra storage (sorely needed in a 2300 unit).

So I sawed the plywood seat base into two pieces where they would join over a cross-brace. Took the plywood that would cover the empty space and added two small hinges and made a lift-up seat base. Now, I can have access to that extra space.

With the smaller table installed, and with the space between bench seats covered with removable pieces of 24in wood and pillows, I can make a very useful lounge for watching TV and having snacks or coffee. And with the wood and pillows removed, I have some useful space where the long table used to be. (nice to have some space where you can sit and pull on boots, etc.).
Teaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #2

Nice.
These dinettes suck in these small units IMO- take too much space.
Pictures?
Old 04-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #3

Update on Mod

Teaman here.

Got an update on Dinette mod.

I lifted the plywood dinette seat base of the other bench seat behind the drivers seat and found a large Jenson HiFi Speaker/Amplifier box. So that is what is located there. Since I don't plan to use the big boom box HiFi, I just took it out. I needed the extra space more than any boom box HiFi. (I use headphones anyway with computer and TV set).

I then sawed the plywood seat base over the middle of the cross brace and added hinges to the smaller plywood that covered that empty space. Now got more valuable storage space under the seat cushions.

Will try to get some photos made and posted a little later.

I got the smaller 24 inch square table top mounted next to the window and it really looks nice. The extra room in the dinette area is noticeable. Gives a feeling of not being so cramped anymore.
Teaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, sunseeker