Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2021, 05:11 PM   #1

Dinette vs Theater Seating, and outside TV question

I like the idea of theater seating, but I am not sure I would want to sacrifice the eating area/table. I am not a small guy, but I was able to fit in decently into the U shaped Dinette (snug, but it works).

What has peoples experience been with this?

Also.. does anyone actually use the outdoor tv? I am not sure I would ever actually use it.. Perhaps if I was BBQing outside and catching a game, it would be useful?? Clearly if one is 'tailgating' with the RV.. it would be useful. I just currently do not do that..

Appreciate any thoughts..
Old 07-24-2021, 05:43 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

There are alternatives if you expand your search…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB26D35C-024B-4B6A-B328-305478B54AB8.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	259757  
Old 07-25-2021, 07:17 AM   #3

You’ll need to decide for yourself on these issues. It depends on how YOU want to use the RV. The opinions of others will vary all across the spectrum.

We base our choices on many years of class C experience. If the choice is between a dinette and a sofa/theater seat, we definitely want the dinette. That is probably the opposite of most people’s choice

We would never watch an outside TV at a campground, hence we ordered our Sunseeker with no outside TV.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:30 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

With our Georgetown, I installed a really comfy reclining loveseat.
However, we still had room for a dinette so it’s not fair to say we had to make a decision which to have…..we had room for both.

We have the U-shaped dinette now in our Sunseeker. Our preference is to keep it as opposed to not having a real eating area.

And as far as an outside TV……when we used to Snowbird in Florida, I enjoyed my NASCAR races while being outside. That was the ONLY time I watched TV outdoors. We never took the 32” stand-alone with us for any other travel.

Times and purpose have changed in this phase of our RVing.
So we’ll stick with the dinette and no outside TV in our Sunseeker.

Just my little story.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
You’ll need to decide for yourself on these issues. It depends on how YOU want to use the RV. The opinions of others will vary all across the spectrum.

quite so, just looking for peoples experience.. thanks for sharing yours!
Old 07-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post

Times and purpose have changed in this phase of our RVing.
So we’ll stick with the dinette and no outside TV in our Sunseeker.

Just my little story.
Appreciated the story...
Old 07-25-2021, 01:17 PM   #7

Just us two and Stella

Our previous Trailer only had a U shaped dinette. No other seating. Fine for eating and some computer work.

But, when it came to relaxing later in the evening watching a movie. UGHHHH What made matters worse is the TV was at a terrible angle.

We tried everything to make it more comfortable. I am 6'3 230. Not happening. Well maybe on a high end RV.

Duckogram's post # 2 is a nice compromise for 2 people.

We upgraded last year to a trailer with recliners and a dinette. We are Happy Campers. Recliner wins for us every time. Especially at our advanced old fart age.

As to outside TV, in 4 years of camping used it once. Don't even bring it with us anymore.

YMMV
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:38 PM   #8

It depends a lot on where your tv is located and if you watch it while dining. In our trailer, the tv was only visible to one diner and the other one had to turn sideways to watch it from the dinette. The dinette was handy for the one person who used a computer.

In our current rig, no where in the rig is viewing the tv comfortable, so the outdoor tv is used a lot by the one person who likes watching tv a lot. If watching tv is not a priority, either theater seating or dinette seating would do. The advantage of theater seating is the the reclining feature.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #9

The best option, of course, is to have both, but you need a larger vehicle for that.

Just my opinion but if I had to choose between a dinette/dining table or any kind of recliner/theater seating, I would definitely choose the table/dinette. I don't think there is any substitute for eating a family meal all together and not scattered around at fold up tables all over the place. A table is my preferred spot for working with my laptop and also having room to make notes. A table is best for writing letters/postcards, plotting courses with a map, or even playing games. My wife and I like to play Scrabble evenings when it gets too dark outside. Kind of hard to play a good game when we could see each other's tiles if we were sitting side-by-side. Same goes for other board or card games if you have more than two people playing.
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:59 PM   #10

On our Forester it has an outside kitchen with TV. It didn't excite me seeing in the showroom, but I really like having the TV outside. I like watching the news in particular while BBQ and sometimes a special. One thing I am very careful when TV on is keeping the volume down. Hate being next to some idiots who think "their game" watching noise must replicate what they experience at a stadium.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #11

I don't think in our 10+ years, we have even brought the TV out once. I don't go camping to watch TV.
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:16 PM   #12

When we purchased our 2018 24’ Sunseeker MB’s, it had a jack-knife sofa which was very uncomfortable. Since it’s just my wife and I, we switched it out for 2 RecPro recliners which are very comfortable and recline almost horizontal. We still can use the floor mount table that was in front of the couch. Overall, an excellent switch.
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:04 PM   #13

I really like a TV outside. I bought a TV and can move it anywhere. I'd rather be outside than inside depending on the weather. I can BBQ, cook, have a glass of any beverage, watch TV games and be comfortable.
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
There are alternatives if you expand your search…
Hey Duck how wide and where did you get em. Thanks
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:05 PM   #15
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Hey Duck how wide and where did you get em. Thanks
They are 73” wide and made for a specific MBS build. My slide width is only 69” so I cannot use them.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:47 AM   #16
Have Camera will Travel

I like the idea of the dinette but the seating is so uncomfortable. Too many other projects going on now but in the future will look at changing the design of the dinette. I like the idea of the theater seating but a bit concerned about the extra weight being cantilevered out on the 30" slide.
2000 W inverter.
Koni FSD shocks and upgraded castor bushings.
Canadian Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:47 PM   #17

thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts
Old 07-27-2021, 12:07 PM   #18

Here's my post from when we switched from the dinette to theater seats:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2115429

We do miss the table, but the seats more than make up for it. The removable tables are not near as good as the original, but they are serviceable. It's a bit harder to play card/tile games, tho....

Tags
dinette, heater, question