Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
The term "wear" does not necessarily imply something negative. Much like a new engine "wears" and has to be broken in before you can drive it normally (i.e. not exceeding some speed limit) , it just means that the parts will have some minute level of metal reduction due to friction. The same can be true with some suspension components especially on older suspensions which I'd say the E450 qualifies for. The technicians also referred to E450 suspensions as being "stiff" when new and indicated that it is better to drive them a bit before completing an alignment. So my decision was strictly based on their input and knowledge of trucks. Also, in my case, the original alignment specs where within Ford's limits and I was doing the alignment to add caster as part of an overall suspension improvement strategy. If I felt the alignment was a major issue and contributing to a drive-ability issue, (i.e. severe pulling in one direction or the other) I certainly would have completed the alignment sooner than later.
Someone on here said that their front-end needed new parts from sitting for several years and had under 24000 miles. Yes it will loosen from use but not wear. Any more with the way engines are machined, there is no real need to break in as in days gone by. Most deem to be about 500 miles on the drive train.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:30 PM   #22

As stated you are having drivability issues, get the alignment done which may require a cam bushing replacement. The front end tech will know. Worry about reimbursement later.
Seek out the big truck service centers, truckstop shops, etc. these are the only guys who can/will do it. If no luck, call your local fire department, EMS services and ask them where they go to get alignment service.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:39 PM   #23

Our 2017 Forester 3051 had over 1200 miles on it when purchased. It handled terribly and we had not heard about the alignment issue until we had almost 2500 miles on it.
I read about the alignment on this forum and called Forest River. They told me to take it to a big truck alignment shop and they would reimburse me... no dealer involved.
The requirements were to have it done within 90 days of new purchase and email a scan (not a photo) of the before and after showing VIN, etc.
We were coming up on 90 days quickly so I got it done, emailed the info and got a check from FR.
Better than that, it drives like my pickup. I couldn't be happier.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
The couple of shops that I spoke too both recommended not to get an alignment until you have 2K-3K miles on the rig. The explanation was that the front end components will wear some during this period and if you get a alignment right after purchase, you may find yourself having to get another alignment soon after hitting this mileage because of that wear. Knowing this, I decided to wait to have the alignment done even though it took me past the reimbursement period from Forest River. For the $150 that it cost, this strategy was worth following just so I would not have to do it twice.

RVr

Sounds like a bunch of crock they fed you. If this was true - every single new vehicle would need an alignment after 2-3K miles.

And I've never heard of someone having alignment problems that were fixed just by driving for a couple of thousand miles If you have an alignment issue - take care of it right away. You will have the added benefit of someone looking around your suspension before taking the big trip, too.

P.S. Alignment is not forever. There is no guarantee that during your trip you won't travel down a bad road, go out of alignment and having to do it all over again when you come back.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:17 AM   #25

I'd get the alignment done now. Mine didn't wander and I waited a few thousand miles. I then noticed the front tires where feathered as a result of the tow being out.
jst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #26

We have a new FR CC Shadowback, and are now checking the wheels, because we are replacing the tires (china bombs) with higher ply tires. My husband pulled the wheels and discovered that they were not properly packed with grease. They will be, before our next trip. You can not just pump grease into the axle, those bearing must have grease force into them.
smittyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyboy View Post
We have a new FR CC Shadowback, and are now checking the wheels, because we are replacing the tires (china bombs) with higher ply tires. My husband pulled the wheels and discovered that they were not properly packed with grease. They will be, before our next trip. You can not just pump grease into the axle, those bearing must have grease force into them.
I think you put your post in the wrong thread. This is about alignment issues on a MH chassis.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, forester