Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2016, 07:16 AM   #21

Do you run your RV periodically during the winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagspe View Post
I was talking to a person at an RV park this weekend. He recommended I run my RV on the road for the tires. Is that true? Is it bad for the tires to sit in park for the winter?
My pool table bumpers were dead so I called the local shop
It was explained to be by my billiard guy that if a pool table sits and never gets played on the rubber bumpers dry rot and go dead.People buy a piece of "funiture" to fill a game room but never play and call him and say hey,the bumpers are no good
He told me that if you don't play much,monthly scatter the balls into the rails
The molecules in the rubber need to get excited to keep them pliable.
When a tire guy told me the same thing about sitting tires I thought ok that confirms what I've heard.
Couple that up with my first RV was a used model that sat for 3years and though the 5year old tires still had the nubs on them I had two blow outs (one catastrophic)
So yes that's one of the reasons I drive my unit monthly
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #22

I had a viper remote starter and alarm with phone module installed after I purchased rv. It is great for storage and I have the app on my phone set to start rv every sunday. It is also in a heated storage unit with trickle charger. Also comes in handy when traveling and want to start before you get back from a hike or to know if alarm goes off no matter where you are, like inside a restaurant. As far as tires go the tire manufacturers will tell you today's tires don't get flat spots but if you have an rv just 2 weeks parked will give you a shimmy in your front end the first 15 miles or so and them it smooths out somewhat. Sitting for a few months isn't the end of the world.
Pacostaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacostaco View Post
I had a viper remote starter and alarm with phone module installed after I purchased rv. It is great for storage and I have the app on my phone set to start rv every sunday. It is also in a heated storage unit with trickle charger. Also comes in handy when traveling and want to start before you get back from a hike or to know if alarm goes off no matter where you are, like inside a restaurant. As far as tires go the tire manufacturers will tell you today's tires don't get flat spots but if you have an rv just 2 weeks parked will give you a shimmy in your front end the first 15 miles or so and them it smooths out somewhat. Sitting for a few months isn't the end of the world.

Seems like having it auto start every Sunday when it's stored inside is a bit dangerous and will subject you to liability if it is in a common area that someone could be overcome from CO.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #24

It's stored in a huge warehouse with many other ra's and collectors cars. There is nobody else in the building. Also only runs for 15 minutes.
Pacostaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:19 PM   #25

Questions would be:
Does Ford start any new cars waiting for sale on a regular basis, some sit on lots for a year? (Would you want a new car that had hundreds of miles on it from the dealer driving it every week?)
Does Forest River start any of the new trucks on their lot waiting to be built?
Do people in the snow belt that store sports cars for the winter start or take them out on a regular basis?

I guess I don't know what is best.
caesar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #26

Read and/or join the debate re: exercising generators:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=99786

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Tags
winter