Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2019, 02:15 PM   #21

The ice chest is for the water, gator aid , and BEER. Especially when the grand kids join in on the trips. Out side for quick access! AND No electronics allowed!

Cheers David
Old 04-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #22

As mentioned, this has been discussed here many times. Briefly, some experts say there's a fire risk when in a gas station where someone near the fridge access is refueling with gasoline. I used to run with the tanks/fridge on, but started turning them off when I realized the fridge and freezer lose only about 1 degree an hour if it starts off cold and is turned off for travel. So for the last few years we turn it on the day before departure and turn it off when we hit the road. Frozen stuff stays frozen even after 6+ hours on the road in hot weather.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
As mentioned, this has been discussed here many times. Briefly, some experts say there's a fire risk when in a gas station where someone near the fridge access is refueling with gasoline. I used to run with the tanks/fridge on, but started turning them off when I realized the fridge and freezer lose only about 1 degree an hour if it starts off cold and is turned off for travel. So for the last few years we turn it on the day before departure and turn it off when we hit the road. Frozen stuff stays frozen even after 6+ hours on the road in hot weather.
Depends on how hot the weather is. Doesn't work too well for long travel days in 100+ temps.....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:36 PM   #24

Yes and refrigerator on.
boatpaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post

I see that raised as an issue at times, but I'm having a hard time seeing it being an issue. I can't see any scenario where you'd have someone within 8' or so of the fridge vent refueling. And I don't see how you'd ever have a high enough concentration of gas fumes at that distance and height from the ground to ever come close to igniting. I see a real genius every now and then actually smoking while refueling- now THAT makes me nervous!
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #26
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach428 View Post
Disregard those negative comments about doing searchs. The answer is yes, I leave my propane on all the time. Good advice about tunnels and when filling propane tanks
There is nothing negative about suggesting someone do a search of the forum.
Especially on a topic that gets contested weekly.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #27

Always. Except when they made us shut it off on the ferry from Nova Scotia to Portland last year.

2017 Rockwood 2109s Mini Lite
Campah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #28
ARLO

all the time except border crossing and tunnels.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:37 PM   #29
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campah View Post
Always. Except when they made us shut it off on the ferry from Nova Scotia to Portland last year.
Ditto. How did you like Nova Scotia? We thought it was great.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #30

In what order do you turn off your propane when you are gassing up at the station propane first then fridge, or fridge first time propane?
Old 04-23-2019, 03:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerfor2 View Post
In what order do you turn off your propane when you are gassing up at the station propane first then fridge, or fridge first time propane?
You can just turn off the fridge. The keeps the flame from coming on.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #32
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerfor2 View Post
Just turn off the gas at the tank.

Don't need to switch it off inside.

And it will fire back up when you turn the gas back on again without having to go inside, although I do go in before I hit the road just to make sure the light is orange (meaning fridge is running on LP).
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post

And it will fire back up when you turn the gas back on again without having to go inside, although I do go in before I hit the road just to make sure the light is orange (meaning fridge is running on LP).

Check the manual for your fridge, if it loses gas and tries X number of times to relight without success it may register a fault and need to be reset by turning it off/on for it to try and relight again.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #34
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Check the manual for your fridge, if it loses gas and tries X number of times to relight without success it may register a fault and need to be reset by turning it off/on for it to try and relight again.
I've never had that happen in many many years of RVing.

Mine always have fired right back up!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:42 PM   #35

I travel with mine on as well so the fridge will get/stay cold for when we reach our destination. Have never had an issue but you never know what possibly could happen.
Doug D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:42 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Yep...which is the reason you turn off the fridge. Mine will immediately fault once it tries to light it. Unfortunately, it only tries once and then sets the fault. Mine is a Dometic.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #37

And ferries.
Oltimer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #38

All the time. I run on electric several hours before loading the fridge and insure it switched to lp before departure.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #39

Just turn it on and leave it on.
Quote:
LP needs to be turned off when refueling the tow vehicle...diesel or gasoline.
Why? Gasoline fumes would have to be deep enough to knock you out for there to be any danger from a burning LP flame. Unless you refrigerator is right next to the fuel filler.

I've never seen a tunnel posted to turn off LP appliances other than the Chesapeake Bridge-Tunnel here in Virginia. The tunnels under the Hudson River may be restricted as well, but that's it. None of the tunnels in Pennsylvania are restricted. Anyway the few restrictions are prominently posted. LP restrictions for semi trailers don't apply to recreational vehicles -- and they're prominently marked as well.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post

I would be curious about how long the fridge would run after shutting at the tank. I may test it.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, propane, travel