Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2022, 06:14 AM   #1

Doghouse noise/ heat barrier?

All,
While waiting for our newly ordered Sunseeker, I have been scouring FR / SS groups since I am very curious and like to plan.
Anyhow, I saw a post on another platform saying they installed a Doghouse Dynamat, apparently to cut down on noise and heat.
Has anyone else done this? Is it necessary?
Thanks again!
Scott
scotte303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:47 AM   #2

Sure others who've done it will respond positively.

I haven't done this mod. It will primarily benefit the passenger footwell by reducing heat against the left foot and lower leg. Plus, it will reduce noise overall.

I am traveling solo these days. The driver doesn't usually feel any of the heat but I keep my insulated water bottle on the floor up against the passenger seat and it does get hot over time.

Dynaliner, also made by Dynamat, is probably the product I would choose.

Finally, I've got the V10, don't know if it's affect on the doghouse is hotter than the new V8, so you'll undoubtedly judge for yourself if it's a mod worth doing.

I don't mind hearing the V10 sing either, dw always thinks it's going to blow up, I suppose some have!

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:39 AM   #3

We have a 2021 with the 7.3 V8, and I haven't noticed any objectionable noise or heat. There's already an insulating pad inside the doghouse from the factory. I'd try it out before adding anything else.
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:56 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
We have a 2021 with the 7.3 V8, and I haven't noticed any objectionable noise or heat. There's already an insulating pad inside the doghouse from the factory. I'd try it out before adding anything else.
No objectionable noise or heat from MY co-pilot either, and I’m sure I’d hear about it. We previously had a Georgetown Class A with its engine doghouse, and that’s our comparison.

For a test…..once you’re at highway speed, WITH NO TRAFFIC BEHIND…..remove your foot from the accelerator, shift into neutral, and listen.
Most of the time….all we hear is the tires on the pavement, when we compare it to driving normally.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:27 AM   #5

In our E-450 V10, the cab is noisy but it is primarily due to the wind. Headwind vs tailwind makes a big difference. I guess this is due to both engine loading and wind on the motorhome’s large frontal area. There are suggestions on this forum as to how to dampen wind noise on the E-series. That is my next winter project, along with doghouse cover improvements.

In regards to Dynamat and doghouses, try searching for the past threads on this topic. Google “Doghouse dynamat site:forestriverforums.com” or E-450 doghouse insulation or similar search parameters. You can put the search terms in the box on the FRforums web page.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:34 PM   #6

Had the V10 and now the V8, you won’t need it with the V8, much quieter and cooler then the V10.
avengers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:28 AM   #7
Commercial Member

agree the new v8 is smaller and isn't as close to the Dog house as the old V10. Ford keeps telling us that someday they are going to make the Dog house smaller so there is more leg room. Hopefully soon.
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:08 AM   #8

Sure wish they put the 10 speed tranny in there.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise