Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2020, 06:29 AM   #1

Drawer latch problems

I have a 2020 Sunseeker 2400w MBS. It has 8 drawers, I have owned it since new about 6 months and have experienced 2 drawer latch failures. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0680.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	234651

[ATTACH]234Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0680.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	234651652[/ATTACH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0682.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	234652  
Geezer Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:39 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Gezzer Ray

Sorry to here you are having issues with the drawer latches. We install these latches to help keep the drawers closed in transit, but if the drawer gets a little out of alignment while traveling the latch can break when shutting the drawer. We are looking at going to a soft drawer self closing drawer glide that will keep the drawers shut without using the latches.
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #3

This style latch fails very easily. You can buy them on line at Amazon, eBay, etc. They come in different latch tensions, like 5 pound pull or 10 pound pull. Get a pack of 4 or more. Here is a sample offering that someone else had posted. https://www.amazon.com/CampN-Grabber...package_o0_img

Or else, if you search the forum you will find threads where people have substituted a better quality, different style latch that won’t break.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:04 AM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Latches

I have had issues with those latches. One on a large drawer under the dinette seat was weak and left turns popped the drawer open. One on bathroom vanity drawer was so tight that my DW was breaking finger nails trying to open it. I replaced both. The drawer under the dinette is perfect. The bathroom drawer was replaced with a standard cabinet latch since it did not need much because the drawer opens to the rear of the coach. I looked at the alignment of the drawers and they were both centered. Then I looked at the weak latch to see if there was a way to adjust the tension. I found none.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
This style latch fails very easily. You can buy them on line at Amazon, eBay, etc. They come in different latch tensions, like 5 pound pull or 10 pound pull. Get a pack of 4 or more. Here is a sample offering that someone else had posted. https://www.amazon.com/CampN-Grabber...package_o0_img

Or else, if you search the forum you will find threads where people have substituted a better quality, different style latch that won’t break.
I did not know that they had different pull tensions available. I just used the take-offs from the wardrobe drawers that I modified to doors.
Learned something new today. Domo Arigato
Old 07-24-2020, 08:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by karykatz View Post
Gezzer Ray

Sorry to here you are having issues with the drawer latches. We install these latches to help keep the drawers closed in transit, but if the drawer gets a little out of alignment while traveling the latch can break when shutting the drawer. We are looking at going to a soft drawer self closing drawer glide that will keep the drawers shut without using the latches.
This is one of the great features of the now-discontinued Windjammer line. Every drawer except the two beneath the bed in my Windjammer have the self-closing feature and I have never had a problem with them. They have never come open while on the road and the only time they don’t close all of the way on their own is when my wife crams so much stuff into them, the stuff overflows behind the drawer.

I think this should be a standard feature for every drawer on any RV. It just makes sense.

Bruce
Old 07-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Gezzer Ray

This is a great post for Geezer Ray. It's a manufacturing known issue but if you trade your brand new unit in for a newer unit you may or may not get one with updated hardware.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
This is a great post for Geezer Ray. It's a manufacturing known issue but if you trade your brand new unit in for a newer unit you may or may not get one with updated hardware.
This is exactly what I was thinking.

Bruce
Old 07-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If its under warranty, then I'm sure they will send out some replacement latches. I read this as, if you want to ensure no future latch failures, then eliminate the latch (something SS is also looking at). Those are pretty universal across the industry...we used them and some batches might have a higher fail rate. Some are just when you close the drawer and the "catch" goes in (just needs popped back out) and some are actually broken when they are not aligned and the drawer is slammed. So is it broken or just needs reset?

I know the Southco branded ones seemed to hold up the best, but even those broke from time to time.

The other option is the barrel catches (like on upper cabinets...nothing to break, but they also don't hold as well. So a drawer can pop open in transit.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Gezzer Ray

Kary,

Glad to hear that you are replacing these latches on future models. Over the 4+ years we had our 3011, I have had to replace almost half the latches.

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #11

I have had to replace quite a bunch of these on my 2016 3010DS. I started buying them in bulk from Amazon. Low and behold, last time out another one went bad. On the positive side, they are easy to change. Expensive from a dealer. Paid 12 bucks for one, Amazon, 12 bucks for four. Same brand as the ones the unit came with.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:54 PM   #12

Well to update my situation, I contacted Forest River and sent them my contact information and was told latches would be sent right out to me. So far FR's customer service is really good. If I get my latches I will be very pleased.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:28 PM   #13

Forest River Customer Service

I received latches from Forest River to replace my broken ones and some spares. Forest River Customer service is TOP NOTCH in my book with special Thank You to fellow member and Forest River hero, karykatz
Old 08-15-2020, 09:04 PM   #14

Bought a pack of four from Amazon several weeks ago, same brand that the unit came with. Just ordered another four pack a couple days ago. Every time one of mine failed was when I opened a drawer, the latch would snap closed and there was no way to get it open without breaking it.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:34 AM   #15

Plastic Latches 5 & 10 lbs

What a problem, I think all of you are correct. Been there done that. Started buying in Bulk 10 packs online. Didn’t matter if Brand Name or Generic. All Failed the same. The Spring Latch (I’ll call it the Female Part) is the same for 5 or 10 lbs. The difference is other Hooked Latch (Male Part).

What I experienced was the Spring Loaded Latch (Female Side) would get pushed in, and could Never be released (even at the Bench with a Vise too hold it correctly) without breaking. I put “backers behind the opening frame” to provide a larger surface to keep the Latch from twisting.

I solved the problem by Locating the Latch “under the drawer” out of normal site. Took a lot more measuring planning but haven’t needed to replace any since.

You might give that a try, “Quit over stuffing the drawers to keep from pushing in the pin”, which might be your start of the problem as well.

Lucas
LucasCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:28 AM   #16

I replace 2 or 3 every year. Have bulk packs in drawer for spares. I think I am going to start looking for magnetic drawer locks. Anyone made that switch?
Azzy1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #17

The first thing we do with any RV is replace all the drawer and cabinet catches. Saves me time from replacing them one at a time. I use a minimum of 15lb and I have used several magnetic types as well as catch/hook types. I don't recall ever having any of our replacements break.
If the ones you are using are breaking, use something else! There are many options out there.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:03 PM   #18

We've had our rig for 6 years - gets used a a lot. We just broke our first one this past weekend. I'll check on amazon for some replacements.

Next project is the seal on the slide that has split and failing.
jst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post

Thanks for the info. I’m having an issue with one drawer coming open when driving. I’m sure more to follow.
JWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:46 PM   #20

2020 Forester 3011DS, bought in May, very first trip last weekend, two of the drawer latches failed. The locking 'clicker' in cabinet side pops back to closed position so the drawer cannot close. it took a screwdriver to reset.
8 magnetic latches on order as we speak... the double magnet style that will hopefully hold in transit.

We'll see.
billwww3 is offline   Reply With Quote