Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
DaLexusGuy

Drone at 2300-2500 RPM (64 to 70 mph)

Hello Forester and Sunseeker peeps!

Did'ja ever notice a consistent, loud engine/exhaust drone noise in the cabin whenever driving at speeds between 65 mph to about 70 mph? It is very closely tied to a 2300-2500 rpm range, which is why i believe it is an engine exhaust drone.

The result is that for my sanity, I either have to drive all through the fruited plains and amber waves of grain at either 63mph max., or above 70 mph. She runs along at the higher speeds just fine but of course, the MPG takes a beating.

I am not saying it's not workable (I do have some 6000-odd miles on it afterall), but it's got me curious if there are some "me too's' out there, or perhaps even a known cure.

I have the V10 Ford chassis under my 30ft Forester.

Anyone??
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:26 PM   #2

Drone

Hello, sounds like a muffler or something in the exhaust causing the drone. I don't have the same class of rv as you, but from previous experiences with cars, this sounds like an exhaust issue to me. Hope this helps
JoePK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:54 PM   #3

What about the same rpm in a different gear?

Where does the exhaust exit the vehicle? Stick a $5 chrome tip on and see if it changes.

Does cracking a window change anything?

Can you open/close a roof vent?

If you are able...crawl around under it(cool) or have someone do it. If it’s too low park over a dry shallow ditch(red neck service pit) and look for a place where the exhaust is touching metal. Make sure the shields are tight and not touching. Are all the supports insulated with rubber?

Prolly don’t want to do this...get a 16ish oz ball pein hammer and put a few dents in the muffler body. Last resort to make sure no baffling is loose(assuming it’s out of warranty)

Just a few ideas.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #4

I have a Sunseeker, I never paid attention to the sound. I'll be listening for it. I did notice it has a deep rumble, but I attribute that to the V10.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #5

Check the air cleaner housing.. make sure it is secure in position tight. Had a similar drone noise and the fellows at the dealer that did my last oil change did not secure the housing around the air cleaner..
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbonnie73 View Post
Check the air cleaner housing.. make sure it is secure in position tight. Had a similar drone noise and the fellows at the dealer that did my last oil change did not secure the housing around the air cleaner..
Good idea!!!!

Best advice on that is to NEVER let them touch the air filter UNLESS you ask them to. All that does is allow dirt in the intake hose. Don't believe me? Watch the "snatch and grab" way they check the ones with panel type filters.

I think 20,000 miles would be a minimum service on most engines. Pass vehicles in normal highway conditions(my experience) 50K is not a problem.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #7

Drone

I had the same problem a few years ago with a company issued truck. My vehicle had a terrible drone throughout at certain speed and rpm. My problem was the exhaust pipe was installed right tight to the underside of the cab. Dealer repaired under warranty with a new exhaust system and got rid of the drone.
Hoogeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:28 PM   #8

It's a matter of harmonics. Solutions are often simple. Add another exhaust pipe hangar bracket on one of the longer unsupported pieces of exhaust pipe.

Another simple method is to merely get some large exhaust pipe clamps and attach a heavy piece of bar stock to the pipe.

Anything that changes the resonant frequency of the exhaust system.

Don't overlook the fact that it may also be something inside the vehicle that is resonating at that exhaust frequency. Might take the addition of some weight or more firmly securing a panel.

I have a similar issue with one of my small ceramic space heaters. If I set it in a particular spot on the floor it resonates badly in the sleeping area. Move it a foot or two or put it on a square of thick plywood and it's silent.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #9

Instead of possibly expensive guessing, find a knowledgeable mechanic who has a tool called a "chassis ear" (there are likely other brands), this tool has multiple microphones which you can mount in the suspect places and then drive the vehicle; as you drive you can switch between the microphones and see which is hearing the noise the loudest,, from there you may need to move the mic's and try to further isolate the noise.
2004 Silverado 2500HD diesel
transmission_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:18 PM   #10
Jack of All Trades

Easiest and cheapest fix:

Turn the radio volume up and set the bass all the way up!

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmission_doctor View Post
Instead of possibly expensive guessing, find a knowledgeable mechanic who has a tool called a "chassis ear" (there are likely other brands), this tool has multiple microphones which you can mount in the suspect places and then drive the vehicle; as you drive you can switch between the microphones and see which is hearing the noise the loudest,, from there you may need to move the mic's and try to further isolate the noise.
As an ASE master certified technician with advanced drive ability ASE I can promise you this is not a cheap diagnostic approach, we work by the flat rate hour and you will be billed multiple hours, as stated before, a weight on the exhaust pipe would be the best strategy for this situation, gm had a bad drone problem for a few years, that was the fix. Remember, the y pipe is nothing more than a tuning fork, never did understand why they never put a flex pipe in the middle of it.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:51 AM   #12

Believe Titan Mike and Crusadernoob are on the right track. It is all about harmonics. Drove truck for many years and some were worse than others. One simple fix for seeing if it is in the exhaust system would be to buy some muffler clamps (u-bolt type clamps used for joining or hanging the exhaust pipe) and just start randomly attaching them to various sections of the pipe tightening them just enough so as not to crush the pipe. If it helps, remove them a few at a time to determine where problem is.

I had a lot of noise in the cab of my FR3 and I stuffed loose bat insulation in every nook and cranny around the engine compartment, particularly around the heater box. I also wrapped that silver backed bubble wrap insulation around the engine air intake box. I don't have the issue you have but every suggestion is worth taking a shot at.

Good luck and happy camping.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #13

Check the exhaust heat shields. They can vibrate with a harmonic drone. Bend them a little also if they are tight.

Tags
500, forester