Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #21

I bent mine. Works now with no bend in the extension or pressure of the wire on the simulator. Good job!
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
I bent mine. Works now with no bend in the extension or pressure of the wire on the simulator. Good job!
Sage, I was thinking about putting them on the simulator also, but thought they may scratch them. What do you think?
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #23

Ben, I took another look at your photo. I bent mine the other way as there wasn't enough spring your way. Have you tried it? I wouldn't mount it to the simulator as I don't think there is enough clearance. They may have videos at Pacific Dually.com about mounting these.
Mine are fine now, tight and extended with no bend or hitting the simulator.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Sage, just finished putting my extensions on. I think the problem in the first place was the air-flex extensions weren't tightened down far enough, so that's why needle valve inside was to low. Also, see my picture below of my modified spring that hold my new extensions. I just used needle nose pliers and reshaped them so they would fit a little better. Doesn't interfere with the simulator at all now. These new extensions from Pacific Dualie are a lot better that the air-flex. Glad I changed them anyway.
Awesome idea, I think I will do that to mine as well, was hard to find any brackets that allows for aftermarket aluminum rims
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #25
phat phrog stunt crew

Have you ever heard of cats eyes tire pressure monitoring system? Easy to check tire pressure, and only one fill valve to add air at. They work great and ends the argument one generally has with the inside tire valve.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
Have you ever heard of cats eyes tire pressure monitoring system? Easy to check tire pressure, and only one fill valve to add air at. They work great and ends the argument one generally has with the inside tire valve.
Are you referring to those extenders for dullies which are like equalizers? Fill both tires at same time? Unless they make it airless extenders than it will work. But other than that, if you get one tire leaking air, basically the other goes flat too.
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #27
Citrus County, Fl.

Quote:
GL1800Rider, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I have been looking for my receipt/order. I bought the 18100 which is 7" and designed for the 16" with 4" oval holes in the rim. I believe the 18101 is for the E-350 and has the spring stabilizers for the 2" ovals. Not sure about the length. The Pacific Dualy site wanted $30 for them, I got them at Amazon for around $22 both are plus shipping.
I will look in to getting a set as soon as I get mine back. Right now my 3011 is at the dealer. Last trip out the A/C kept freezing up and was blowing chunks of ice. They replaced the unit yesterday as it was losing freon. I have had a problem since day one putting air in the right inside dual and they are supposed to address that as well as replace a frig fan that has a bearing noise. Would like to get everything done before we head up to BamaGanza. Ooops sorry, i did not mean to hijack the thread
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:04 PM   #28

Phoenix USA AML1 Air Inflation Kit; on amazon

has anyone put these on, they attach to the lug nuts,

http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-USA-AM...t%3B+on+amazon
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
has anyone put these on, they attach to the lug nuts,

http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-USA-AM...t%3B+on+amazon
I use extenders by Wheel Master 8208 as that way I don't have to mess with lug nut torque if/when I get involved with TPMS issues.

What ever you use be sure the outer end if firmly tired down.

I use pop rivets with the small angle brackets provided in the kit.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:27 PM   #30
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thanks Boso. Now to figure out what to do about the outer "J" extension. Borg Tire Supply has permanent ones for $20 each, but as I mentioned before, it required me to trim the wheel simulator that I used on my E-350. But then I had a non flexible inner extension that may have been the problem. My local tire dealer can easily install this by just breaking the bead and swapping out valves then rebalance. Probably about $25 a tire. Still that's about $100 for just the those installed.
The bottom photo shows what I had to do on the E-350. Notice the trimming. But the E-450 does have the bigger 4" holes instead of the 2".

This type of extender is OK as long as you remember to hold the valve body when you press on it to add air or check inflation. The force needed may eventually cause damage to the rubber grommet.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 11-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Just received my extensions and ready to put them on. Question, how do you get the wheel simulator cover off with out damaging them? Tried a large screwdriver, but it looked like it would start bending the edges before coming off, so I quit.
I use the pry bar from Harbor freight. Also use a dead blow plastic hammer to replace the simulators
Old 11-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
cat eye is OK but you still don't get constant monitoring as with TPMS.
Also as a tire engineer I never understod the desirability of constant match of tire pressure or even the desirability of bleeding down one good tire when a 2nd got a puncture.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #33

at first I couldn't see how they were tied down, now I see, thanks

so with the type of sensors you have to take them off when you add air, and in your opinion are they the best ones,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I use extenders by Wheel Master 8208 as that way I don't have to mess with lug nut torque if/when I get involved with TPMS issues.

What ever you use be sure the outer end if firmly tired down.

I use pop rivets with the small angle brackets provided in the kit.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:19 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Quote:
at first I couldn't see how they were tied down, now I see, thanks

so with the type of sensors you have to take them off when you add air, and in your opinion are they the best ones,

I did a blog post on things to consider when selecting a TPMS. Just as there is no single Pizza that will be "Best" fro everyone. There is no single "Best" TPMS.
I bought mine 5 yearws ago and have been happy as they work for me and provide the multiple warnings I think are desirable.

Yes I do need to remove them when I add air but that is usually once in Spring when I "De-winterize" and maybe once during the season but I am always playing around with my tires & valves and occasionally running evaluation tests. I would think most people would only need to un-screw them once a season.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:43 AM   #35

Tireman, I see you're in Akron. I grew up there. I even spent a summer in the 70's working in a tire warehouse taking tires off of train cars and stacking them in the warehouse only to spend the other half of the summer "ricking" them back into train cars to send them back out. It was pre-strike precautions for Firestone.

My Grandmother retired from Goodrich (aerospace) and my Mom from the office at Firestone.

I still remember when Akron smelled of an odd combination of rubber and popcorn (Quaker).
Old 11-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #36

thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I did a blog post on things to consider when selecting a TPMS. Just as there is no single Pizza that will be "Best" fro everyone. There is no single "Best" TPMS.
I bought mine 5 yearws ago and have been happy as they work for me and provide the multiple warnings I think are desirable.

Yes I do need to remove them when I add air but that is usually once in Spring when I "De-winterize" and maybe once during the season but I am always playing around with my tires & valves and occasionally running evaluation tests. I would think most people would only need to un-screw them once a season.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #37

can I ask a stupid question,,,,
how did you tighten up the extender that goes on the the inside wheel,
did you take off the wheel to tighten it, otherwise I can't get anything in there, unless someone has a better way than I do,,,,
Old 11-06-2015, 04:16 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Quote:
can I ask a stupid question,,,,
how did you tighten up the extender that goes on the the inside wheel,
did you take off the wheel to tighten it, otherwise I can't get anything in there, unless someone has a better way than I do,,,,
Very reasonable question.
If you look at the posts on my blog with key word "valve" you will see close-up shots of valves and valve cores. You will note the very small gaskets, seals and O-rings that hold the air in.
The extender hoses have o-rings in the end that screws onto the end of the valve stem and just as you don't need or use a wrench or pair of pliers to tighten the valve cap on any of your regular tires you don't need tools to tighten the hose extender.
The hose is stiff enough that just turning ti 1/4 to 1/2 turn past the point when air stops leaking out when you screw the hose on that should be enough to seal against the little gasket in the hose end.

I do believe that some folks over tighten hoses and valve cores and distort the gasket seal. This can even result in the seal splitting with a slow leak occurring. This slow leak could even lead to a "run low flex failure" or "Blowout" due to the tire having lost a significant portion of its air starting right after a pressure check was done.

In fact an argument can be made that one of the major advantages of a TPMS is that it eliminates or at least greatly reduces the chance of air loss due to sticking valve cores or damaged seals that occur when the pressure is checked and if a leak does result you will get a warning from the TPMS when a few psi has leaked out rather than a warning from a passing motorists that a failed tire is shredding the side of your RV.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #39

thanks, the angle ones have a nut on the end, and when I put the ones on the inside they went on till the air stopped and then kept turning, so I wondered if they needed to be tightened further, thanks for the answer, very much appreciated
Old 11-07-2015, 08:57 PM   #40

Next dumb question! We were surprised on our new 2401R to find that the extension tubes for both inside rear tires seem to have "nothing" inside the tubes. When putting a pressure gauge on the tubes, no reading can be taken and there is no apparent way to add air. What's this about? Shouldn't the extender tube extend the ability to check and add air?

Tags
tire, valve