Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #1

DVD Player Power

If I am at a campground and plugged in, we watch a lot of movies using the in dash DVD or listen to music using the in dash radio. Does this draw power from the engine battery and should I be concerned with the ability to start my engine with a possible low battery upon departure?

RVFamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #2

Good question. I would assume that the onboard converter would charge the coach and van batteries when plugged into 30a shore power, and the alternator would keep the coach and van battery charged while driving. But, I won't have my coach until a few more weeks, so hopefully someone who knows for sure can chime in.
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #3

The usage in your unit should only draw from the house batteries. Not the Coach battery. I found this out last weekend as I drained the house batteries so low that I could not start the generator. I had to fire up the coach to add some starting juice to the house batteries so I could start the generator.
osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFamily5 View Post
If I am at a campground and plugged in, we watch a lot of movies using the in dash DVD or listen to music using the in dash radio. Does this draw power from the engine battery and should I be concerned with the ability to start my engine with a possible low battery upon departure?
Nope. House batteries. Plus, if it did drain the coach battery there is an emergency start switch that ties the house/coach batteries together so you can start the engine or the gen.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #5

Hey bclemens, where is the emergency start switch? Is this something I need to press while turning the key to start the engine if the house battery is drained?

Thanks for the responses.

RVFamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #6

The emergency start switch is on the left side of the drivers seat base. While seated, reach your left hand down, or get out and examine the seat base from outside and you will see it. It is used if the coach battery is too low to start the engine. By connecting the house battery the engine can be started from it.

If the house battery is too low, you would simply start the engine to charge it. With the engine running you would be able to start the generator to take over charging. Of course if you have shore power, no need for any of that.