Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #1

DVD Quality

Anyone using the Magnadyne M4 in dash system have an issue with poor DVD quality?

Has anyone taken any steps to correct this?

It seems to me that we have gone back to the old days of VCR connections. Coax to the TV and tune the unit to channel 3... Really!... At least a composite connection would be acceptable.

I always buy my movies as Blu-Ray and get the DVD option for a couple dollars more and leave my BR disks at the home library and take my DVD copy to the camper.

Thanks for any imput.
osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Never had any bad luck with ours. Seems to play fine. Not top of the line by any means, but works. I had read on here somewhere where supposively that while just watching tv (antenna), the sound should play through the surround sound on one of the aux in selections. Mine doesn't no matter which selection. Everything else will play through the surround though. Not a huge tv watcher anyway so it's not on the upgrade list. I'm sure you could always upgrade it. Plenty of units will fit in the double din opening and do the same thing.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #3

I have a brand new 2013. The DVD is horrible. I get a snow all over the screen. I put a blu-ray playing my cabinet, and will watch that on rain days. I just wish I could figure out how to hook into the speaker system.
CoachPJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Commercial Member

It's the switch box. To get the ability to watch different things on different TV's that swtich box gets put in. Direct connection is always better.

Depending on what model you have, I would just unhook the A/V cables that go into the switch box and wire those directly into the back of the TV. Then get a stand a lone DVD player for the bedroom if you have a TV there. We've talked about that at the shop to eliminate the bad picture quality.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #5

In a unit that has two TV's, such as a 32" side tv over the cab, and a bedroom TV, will there be a "switch box" you refer too? Where might it be? And can you watch DVDs going down the road on a side TV when the disc is playing through the DVD player?
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #6

Clarification: using the magnadyne as the DVD player
Old 03-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
Commercial Member

If it has a switch box (not all do) it's in a cabinet or below the counter in the 3010.

Yes you can watch DVD's through the magnadyne while driving. It does not output the picture to the touchscreen but it will to the side TV.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #8

Thanks for the info!
Old 05-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
Love My Sunseeker

Hey everyone. I found the solution to the problem of "grainy" pictures on the in-dash DVD player. It pertains to the surround sound. If you have surround sound (extra speakers in your RV ceiling like I do), then this will work.

You have to MUTE the TV, and use only the sound from the in dash player. When I did that I got a VERY CLEAR picture on the front TV. I have a second TV (bedroom) also wired to this. This solution didn't work on the back TV, but it improved on the front TV a lot! I have the big TV entertainment center.

You can't have the TV sound competing with the surround sound.

Give it a try!

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #10

dvd quality

We have a bedroom TV, but not connected to display the dash DVD programming. It does repeat the picture on the forward TV without any degradation that I can detect. It comes in on the 'aux' input, not on 'channel 3'.
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Because the switch box mfg can't seem to figure out why there is such a degradation in signal, we've started wiring as many TV's as we can directly.

So instead up tuning in to channel 3 or 4, you should just be able to switch inputs to get the DVD player. back to air to get over the air channels

Old 05-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #12

Hey does that mean FR would be open to retrofitting previous 2014 models that didn't get wired directly?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Unfortunately not. Its not really wired incorrectly, just that we're now all used to HD signals and picture perfect images so that any fuzzy image is unacceptable.

For me personally, I wouldn't even use the red/White/Yellow composite cables when there is an HDMI cable available. The other issue is the size of the TV...smaller TV's aren't that big of a deal, the larger the TV the more you notice.