Old 11-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #1

E-450 remote start

We have a 2018 3011DS, and would like a remote starter.

For us to open our awning, the engine has to be running.

It sure would be much more convenient to have a remote start, if the wind kicks up, or we are just want to leave the area for a walk, to be able to put the awning back up.

Thank You;

Brian French

Brianfrench65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #2
Usually Confused Member

That sounds really strange. My awning will not move either direction if the engine is running. Same with the slides. The only time the engine must be running (other than driving ) is when leveling or retracting the jacks.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:53 PM   #3

Sounds like something is not wired correctly. The awning should have a safety feature that disables it when the coach is running.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #4

Agree, something not right, the awning should not require the engine to run to operate - just the opposite. My 2017 2861 requires the engine to be off for awning, slides and levelers to operate.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #5

Wow I can't level with engine running and can't start engine with jacks down.
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:24 PM   #6

On our 3011DS our engine has to be running for:

The jacks to operate
The slides to operate
The awning to operate

The orientation by the dealer was with the engine running.

With the engine off, the tablets do not show the jacks, or the slides or the awning.

The app also does not show the jacks or slides or the awning., unless the engine is running.

Maybe this is something new for the 2018 / 2019 ?

Thank You;

Brian French
Old 11-19-2018, 12:41 AM   #7

I thought it was a safety issue for those items to be locked out with the ignition on, I would check with Forest River to be sure that your 2018 is wired correctly and that this is the new way they are building them.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:05 AM   #8

Could your battery switch be off?
jtmitch416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmitch416 View Post
Great question; I will definitely check that.

The dealer acted as if this was normal. I asked them and the answer was for when you go dry camping, you donít drain your batteries while youíre setting up.

Iíll check with Forrest River as well as my disconnect.

Thank You;

Brian French
Old 11-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #10

Have to agree with the majority here. With the engine/ignition on my One Control panel does not have the slides or awning icons displayed. If the jacks are down the Bigfoot panel alarms if the ignition is on. I can operate all 3 items with the ignition off with no issues. Sounds like a miswire feeding the ignition on sense line on the One Control system (the sense input is on the generator genie module).

If your battery switch is off the One Control system will also be powered down. So that will not be your issue.

2017.5 Forester 3051S
2019 Jeep Trailhawk toad
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmitch416 View Post
Well ........I have confirmed that the battery switch is ON.

Thank You;

Brian French
Old 11-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianfrench65 View Post
Well ........I have confirmed that the battery switch is ON.

Thank You;

Brian French
Then it sure appears something may be wired wrong. Hope you get it resolved soon.
jtmitch416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
Have to agree with the majority here. With the engine/ignition on my One Control panel does not have the slides or awning icons displayed. If the jacks are down the Bigfoot panel alarms if the ignition is on. I can operate all 3 items with the ignition off with no issues. Sounds like a miswire feeding the ignition on sense line on the One Control system (the sense input is on the generator genie module).

If your battery switch is off the One Control system will also be powered down. So that will not be your issue.
X2, and the dealer should know better!!
Old 11-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #14
Usually Confused Member

I learned something new today. I was told during the PDI that the engine had to be running to allow the jacks to operate. That’s sorta correct, but the engine running is not the action that allows jack operation. It’s ignition on. As long as the ignition is on the jacks can be operated. Engine on or off is irrelevant.

Something else....the jacks are only tied to the chassis battery for power. They can be operated with the coach batteries disconnected.

If the ignition is on I can only control the generator, lights and monitor panel (water pump, water heater, tank heater). Nothing else via the OneControl panel.

With the ignition OFF I get control over the slide and awning, but not the jacks.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #15

emm-dee,
Do you have the Bigfoot or LCI levelers.
Typically the levelers are connected to the house batteries. They are connected to the batteries directly not through the battery disconnect switch.

2017.5 Forester 3051S
2019 Jeep Trailhawk toad
Old 11-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #16

Reading all these posts got me to check exactly how my 2017 works.

I don't have the Onecontrol panel, the BigFoot levelers are wired directly to the battery, the slides and awning are wired thru the Battery Control Center.

Both the BigFoot and BCC have a wire coming from the ignition switch to sense when the ignition is on.

The BCC has relays that allow power to the awning and slide switches only when the ignition is off.

The BigFoot control will not operate when the ignition is on, except if the jacks are not all up and the ignition is turned on the control will beep an alarm and allow the jacks to be retracted and then will turn off until the ignition is turned off and then will operate normally.

So thanks to this thread I now have a better understanding of how my system works.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #17
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
emm-dee,
Do you have the Bigfoot or LCI levelers.
Typically the levelers are connected to the house batteries. They are connected to the batteries directly not through the battery disconnect switch.
LCI. Iím going to do further checking but the jack control panel shows 12.1 volts with ignition only but 14.1 with the engine running. I donít think the engine alternator provides any charge to the house batteries. This unit operates a lot different than any other Iíve had. If I isolate the batteries then I lose all A/C even though external power is operable. My other units only quit charging the batteries while everything else was operable either via direct A/C or the converter.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:44 PM   #18

Updated information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk S View Post
X2, and the dealer should know better!!
One additional point I neglected to report; the parking brake has to be engaged for the : jacks to operate; the slide outs to operate and the awning to operate.

This prevents those three operations from operating while driving down the road.

We sure would welcome any information that would allow us to operate the awning while we are parked, and not have the key on or the engine running???

I really appreciate all the knowledge and wisdom, shared in this forum.
Thank You;

Brian French
Old 11-19-2018, 09:00 PM   #19

Not to belabor the point others have made. It makes absolutely no sense from a practical and safety standpoint to have the awning and slides work only when the coach ignition is on. I understand the parking brake interlock, and this is standard when operating the levelers. However, relying on a single interlock to prevent the awning and slides from opening up when heading down the road is asking for a potentially serious issue. I believe, and others have also indicated that this unit is not wired or programmed correctly and needs to go back to the dealership or Forest River to correct.
Dr Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
LCI. Iím going to do further checking but the jack control panel shows 12.1 volts with ignition only but 14.1 with the engine running. I donít think the engine alternator provides any charge to the house batteries. This unit operates a lot different than any other Iíve had. If I isolate the batteries then I lose all A/C even though external power is operable. My other units only quit charging the batteries while everything else was operable either via direct A/C or the converter.
The Battery Control center will charge the house batteries when the engine is running if they are low. There is specific logic in the BCC to accomplish bidirectional charging. Having the battery isolator switch on (batteries disconnected) has nothing to do with shore or generator power, inverters may be shut down (depending upon coach wiring specifics).Typically the batteries will be charged by the converter when shore power is present even if the battery isolator switch is off.

2017.5 Forester 3051S
2019 Jeep Trailhawk toad

Tags
forester, remote