RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-23-2020, 03:27 PM   #1

E450 Chassis Ford Factory anti-sway bars and steering stabilizers, etc.

Immediately after the first trip in our 2015 sunseeker 3170DS, which I purchased last April with 30K miles, I installed a Roadmaster rear antisway bar and a Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer. When I took the Ford factory steering stabilizer of, I could play it like an accordion... Absolutely no resistance. Completely worn out. Now I am not driving white knuckled and don't get blown on to the breakdown lane every time a semi or TT passes me.

Since Ford does not really build the E450 cutaway to handle the GVWR of a 14,500 class C, can't FR and other manufacturers do the upgraded suspensions during the Class C build? FR could be the first in the industry to make customer safety a real priority! I have spoken to many others who have also voiced this and would be glad to pay for the upgraded suspension when buying a new RV. Less than a 1K upcharge is an insignificant add to the cost of these RVs. Not pushing Roadmaster brands, just what I bought. I know I bought a used one, but figured it was the wise thing to do until we decide what type and size to buy next.

I have also purchased and will soon install Bilstein Shocks for large Class C motorhomes.

My motorhome has sadly spent the lonely summer away at a nice repair shop getting the Gen rebuilt by Cummins (new stator and rotor, only 483 hours on Gen). Hate it when my summers are spent at home and not out RVing.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

V/R

Dan

Mask it or Casket?
What is in your future?
Ladaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #2

Good News! FR does now offer either as an upgrade or standard equipment, not sure, HD Sway Bars and Billstein shocks. Knowing what I know now about the before and after effects of adding these components to my 2016 RV, I gladly would have paid an upfront cost to buy an RV with it already installed.

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladaca View Post
Immediately after the first trip in our 2015 sunseeker 3170DS, which I purchased last April with 30K miles, I installed a Roadmaster rear antisway bar and a Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer. When I took the Ford factory steering stabilizer of, I could play it like an accordion... Absolutely no resistance. Completely worn out. Now I am not driving white knuckled and don't get blown on to the breakdown lane every time a semi or TT passes me.

Since Ford does not really build the E450 cutaway to handle the GVWR of a 14,500 class C, can't FR and other manufacturers do the upgraded suspensions during the Class C build? FR could be the first in the industry to make customer safety a real priority! I have spoken to many others who have also voiced this and would be glad to pay for the upgraded suspension when buying a new RV. Less than a 1K upcharge is an insignificant add to the cost of these RVs. Not pushing Roadmaster brands, just what I bought. I know I bought a used one, but figured it was the wise thing to do until we decide what type and size to buy next.

I have also purchased and will soon install Bilstein Shocks for large Class C motorhomes.

My motorhome has sadly spent the lonely summer away at a nice repair shop getting the Gen rebuilt by Cummins (new stator and rotor, only 483 hours on Gen). Hate it when my summers are spent at home and not out RVing.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

V/R

Dan
Forest River is already on it.

Forest River does now install, as standard equipment, Firestone Ride-Rite rear air bag springs, 4 Bilstein shocks and a Hellwig rear sway bar on Ford E450 based Classic Sunseekers and Foresters. They describe that feature in their current brochure. However, Forest River is not installing aftermarket steering stabilizers.

For awhile, Jayco has been installing something similar on their class Cs that they call J-Ride.

What I do wish is that Forest River would offer the LiquidSpring suspension as an option, like phoenix Cruiser does.

Clip attached is from the Sunseeker brochure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCBDD3F4-3FC6-49D3-B143-BFEF2A0F9EAD.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	241766  
Old 10-23-2020, 05:11 PM   #4
Ambassador Member

Maybe just semantics but the OEM stabilizer you refer to is really just a dampener. The Roadmaster RSSC and the SafeTPlus are stabilizers as they return to center. I am not sure what the Bilstein does.

The OEM shocks (at least on my Ď17 chassis) are Bilstein. The Bilsteins that FR is putting on some of the Class Cís are a huge upgrade from the OEM shocks. They are the ďComfortĒ models. There is also a heavier ďStandardĒ model for MH applications and there have been reports that they are excellent as well but not available from FR.

Anti Sway (Rear only): There have been reports from folks that installed aftermarket Bilsteins that utilize the stock links and hardware that their link mounts have failed. I do not know how FR is installing the heavier Anti Sway bar
so no way to forecast issues with that.

Firestone RideRite bags have been installed for years. Nothing new.

The J-Ride is basically the same for shocks and anti sway but adds rubber isolators on the frame mounts, hellwig helper springs and balanced drive shafts.
I looked into replacing my leak like a sieve riderites. $700. and no easy balance adjustment made me change my mind. Going to have to find and fix the leaks. Fitting issue is likely.
No PMís.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:37 PM   #5

That's all good news. Our RV also had the Ride Rite installed before we bought it.

I was really shocked that the suspension was not upgraded when I bought our RV. Must have been enough complaints that the RV manufacturers finally listened and acted. Anybody know what year they started upgrading the suspensions?

Mask it or Casket?
What is in your future?
Old 10-23-2020, 08:00 PM   #6

Quote:
That's all good news. Our RV also had the Ride Rite installed before we bought it.

I was really shocked that the suspension was not upgraded when I bought our RV. Must have been enough complaints that the RV manufacturers finally listened and acted. Anybody know what year they started upgrading the suspensions?
I doubt they listened to complaints. We have complained about poor build quality, too, but that hasn’t produced results.

Bilsteins and Hellwig went on Forester sometime around 2019 models (It’s not mentioned in 2018 brochure, but is in 2019 brochure). On Sunseeker, they started the upgrades with 2020 models built around September 2019. My 2020 Sunseeker was built July, 2019, and I had to install those items myself.

Note that the upgrade does not come on the LE models, and it’s only on the Ford E series chassis.

The upgrade is nice for handling, but it still rides like a dump truck on rough roads, in my opinion. That’s why I would like to try the LiquidSpring suspension.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I doubt they listened to complaints. We have complained about poor build quality, too, but that hasnít produced results.

Bilsteins and Hellwig went on Forester sometime around 2019 models (Itís not mentioned in 2018 brochure, but is in 2019 brochure). On Sunseeker, they started the upgrades with 2020 models built around September 2019. My 2020 Sunseeker was built July, 2019, and I had to install those items myself.

Note that the upgrade does not come on the LE models, and itís only on the Ford E series chassis.

The upgrade is nice for handling, but it still rides like a dump truck on rough roads, in my opinion. Thatís why I would like to try the LiquidSpring suspension.
Thank you for the information and my wife agrees with your description of the ride.

Mask it or Casket?
What is in your future?
Old 10-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #8
Ambassador Member

Correction

In my earlier post (#4) the Anti-Sway paragraph where it reads Bilstein should have been Hellwig. Ooopsie
No PMís.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #9

Curiosity

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why didn't you have the generator removed at the shop and taken the RV. Camp all summer, maybe at sites with power, then take the RV back for re-install when the generator's fixed?

Kind of like leaving your car at the dealer for weeks while he fixes the radio.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:29 PM   #10

Besides the upgrades others have mentioned, I installed the Henderson Trac bar which I thought really helped. I think it works better on a longer unit, which mine is at 30ft.
donkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #11

From above post:
"I looked into replacing my leak like a sieve riderites. $700. and no easy balance adjustment made me change my mind. Going to have to find and fix the leaks. Fitting issue is likely." [/QUOTE]

I installed the Firestone RideRite kit on my 2007 E450 Sunseeker myself and it was horrible. They must have sent me the wrong kit, because it didn't fit my frame without extreme modifications. Anyway, the pipe thread fittings that screw into the bag units came with pre-applied sealant, but the sealant didn't start until after the first few threads, which was all that would engage due to the thread fit. They leaked and I had to disassemble and apply my own sealant. Now I set to 80 PSI before a 2 week trip and return with 60 PSI, which I can live with.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
From above post:
"I looked into replacing my leak like a sieve riderites. $700. and no easy balance adjustment made me change my mind. Going to have to find and fix the leaks. Fitting issue is likely."
I installed the Firestone RideRite kit on my 2007 E450 Sunseeker myself and it was horrible. They must have sent me the wrong kit, because it didn't fit my frame without extreme modifications. Anyway, the pipe thread fittings that screw into the bag units came with pre-applied sealant, but the sealant didn't start until after the first few threads, which was all that would engage due to the thread fit. They leaked and I had to disassemble and apply my own sealant. Now I set to 80 PSI before a 2 week trip and return with 60 PSI, which I can live with.[/QUOTE]

I think they all leak down a bit. I check pressure and adjust weekly if needed.

Mask it or Casket?
What is in your future?

Tags
factory, ford, stabilizer, stabilizers, sway