Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #1

Electric Blanket/Electric Mattress Cover?

We have a 2018 Forester 3011DFS Class C motor home. We also have an electrically-heated mattress cover which we enjoy for taking the chill of the bed in cooler weather at home. We would like to use it in the motor home but only when connected to shore power. However, the mattress instructions says to not use in an RV. Seems to me it should work fine on shore power.
We would appreciate knowledgeable comments on this. If it won't work in the motor home, please explain why. Thanks
RobertSlates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:43 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Fuming

Actually you have a 3011DS. The Forester and the F on your model are a given.
But that is not important right now.

If your mattress instructions are telling you not to use a heated cover and or pad I would think that there is an issue with heat application to the materials the mattress is made from. Most likely that would be fire or off gassing.

As far as electricity goes, that does not make any difference.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Actually you have a 3011DS. The Forester and the F on your model are a given.
But that is not important right now.

If your mattress instructions are telling you not to use a heated cover and or pad I would think that there is an issue with heat application to the materials the mattress is made from. Most likely that would be fire or off gassing.

As far as electricity goes, that does not make any difference.
I think it should be DSF, the DS meaning double slide, and the F standing for Ford chassis. As you said, not important.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:01 PM   #4

I should have worded my question more accurately. It was the electric mattress cover that said don't use it in an RV, not the mattress. Sorry.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I think it should be DSF, the DS meaning double slide, and the F standing for Ford chassis. As you said, not important.
It is DSF but the 3010/3011 only comes on an F so it is superfluous.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:14 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSlates View Post
I should have worded my question more accurately. It was the electric mattress cover that said don't use it in an RV, not the mattress. Sorry.
I see. In that case I suggest contacting the cover manufacturer and inquiring as to why. There are so many different RV mattresses that I do not understand how a cover manufacturer would know or be able to discern between a residential and RV mattress. I for one would sure like to hear their answer.

The only thing I can think of is that the cover manufacturer thinks all RV mattresses are short (like yours) which could cause the heating element to bend over the edge and malfunction.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:18 PM   #7

We have used an electric mattress pad in our travel trailer and currently in our 5th wheel. Never had a problem, but a warm bed to climb into is wonderful.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:52 PM   #8

May I make a suggestion? Instead of an electric mattress cover and blanket why not use a Flannel sheets with a Down Blanket. That is what we use when we are in our 5ER for fall and early spring camping. We are extremely warm during the night and usually have the one window open in our bedroom when we are sleeping.

We use to use an electric blanket but didn’t like the static electricity that the blanket would give off. In fact we have three different Down Blankets, one very light for early fall sleeping, then a medium Down Blanket we use when the night temps are in the 40’s at night. We use a 144 once blanket at home during the winter months, when the night time temps are in the negative area. We never have been cold at night and sleep very well at night.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:02 PM   #9

OP, that instruction would appear to make no sense as long as the pad fit properly. If you used the same mattress inside your home the electric pad would okay but not in the RV? ppffffft. As suggested above I'd contact the manufacturer if possible and otherwise would not worry about it.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:13 AM   #10

I have a 9V outlet next to my rv bed that I plug in a 9V travel blanket. (Great when you don’t have 110v available.) It works really well on cold nights. It can be plugged in up front also while traveling. I bought one at a large truck stop. I bought a second one on Amazon.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #11

Electric Blanket/Electric Mattress Cover

Thanks, Everybody for the help. We will simply use the electric mattress cover in the RV. Happy Travels. Bob
Old 11-04-2021, 08:43 AM   #12
Certified Curmudgeon

NeX and don’t forget the battery in the smoke alarm…

Now I will ponder why somebody would have a 9V outlet in an RV. I love a good mystery.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
I see. In that case I suggest contacting the cover manufacturer and inquiring as to why. There are so many different RV mattresses that I do not understand how a cover manufacturer would know or be able to discern between a residential and RV mattress. I for one would sure like to hear their answer.

The only thing I can think of is that the cover manufacturer thinks all RV mattresses are short (like yours) which could cause the heating element to bend over the edge and malfunction.

We have migrated a residential queen heated mattress cover into our RV that has a short queen. We just make sure that it is installed so that the heated portion is fully on the mattress. On ours, the heating element does not extend all the way to the head of the pad. Elements are denser at the foot and less so in the "mid body" area. No elements at all under our heads - much to the chagrin of my DW who always complains her head gets cold at night.

Great being able to climb into a warm bed on a cold night.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:16 PM   #14
Site Team

I know the op has decided to use the heated cover, but I noticed some replying to something that wasn't an issue. The op said the mattress cover instructions said not to use it IN and RV, not on an RV mattress. So I'm wondering why. Fire threat?

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I know the op has decided to use the heated cover, but I noticed some replying to something that wasn't an issue. The op said the mattress cover instructions said not to use it IN and RV, not on an RV mattress. So I'm wondering why. Fire threat?
I would think so, Thats is why I suggested Flannel sheets and a Down comforter. No fire hazard.

Tags
cover, electric