Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 08:45 PM   #1

Electrical

I have a 2014 Sunseeker 2300. I plugged into my 30 amp power today. I started hearing slow clicking sounds. I removed the panel cover (picture attached) located in the entrance step. I think I've pinpointed the clicking--sounds like it is trying to turn and turns off--to the black device (picture attached) in the lower right of the picture. I'm not electrically gifted. Would appreciate some advice as to what is happening and what I should do about it. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1462066527199.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	106564   Click image for larger version

Name:	1462066541574.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	106565  
GMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:42 PM   #2

Here's a similar post

I've been following this one and it may be the same issue.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...on-106853.html

Did a search and there are a few other topics on the Sunseeker battery relay panel having clicking. Only posted by Sunseeker's not Forester owners???
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:24 PM   #3

The clicking stops when I turn the battery switch to off position. No fuses blown; shoreline plugged in; no error messages on surge protector.

I've got a trip planned in 1 week. I'll have full hookups. Will this issue be a problem?
Old 04-30-2016, 10:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMax View Post
The clicking stops when I turn the battery switch to off position. No fuses blown; shoreline plugged in; no error messages on surge protector.

I've got a trip planned in 1 week. I'll have full hookups. Will this issue be a problem?
Perhaps someone else can chime in here and give you an answer. Can you isolate which relay is clicking like K2? There doesn't seem to be an answer to others with the same issue, or perhaps I overlooked it. I do recall someone saying Sunseeker isn't using that panel anymore. Mine has a different manufacturer
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:04 AM   #5

Quote:
I have a 2014 Sunseeker 2300. I plugged into my 30 amp power today. I started hearing slow clicking sounds. I removed the panel cover (picture attached) located in the entrance step. I think I've pinpointed the clicking--sounds like it is trying to turn and turns off--to the black device (picture attached) in the lower right of the picture. I'm not electrically gifted. Would appreciate some advice as to what is happening and what I should do about it. Thanks.
Is it just an occasional click or is it a regular clicking noise?

I get an occasional click which I believe is related to at what rate the battery is being charged wether on shore power or with the engine running.

As stated above, there have been other discussions about relay clicking. I think one person may have replaced their converter.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:11 AM   #6

You are not alone! There have been continuing problems that with BCC and the symptom that you are describing has occurred with others that have the Wurth unit. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ise-44435.html (Your problem is somewhat different since the solenoid doesn't just hum, it cycles back and forth and that is the click that you hear.)

There is some sort of NHSTA recall or repair on the unit but the NHSTA web site won't download the pdf. FR has dropped Wurth going forward. I am pretty familiar with all sorts of BCCs and I bet that they were attempting to lengthen the life of the isolation solenoid by reducing the current while it is energized so that is stays cool as these solenoids stay energized for days or months when connected to shore power and they are a definite failure part. However, seems that they slightly overdid it and often the low current will not engage the solenoid and it cycles like what you, and others with that BCC are experiencing.

Of course, when you turn something on in the coach the house battery voltage will drop and in many cases it will then decide that it doesn't want to connect the chassis battery and will simply stop trying...hence the click goes away.

Note that Wurth punted on the problem...and FR punted on Wurth a while ago. Their response is, by now pretty much BS since they have undoubtedly had multiple complaints with the same symptoms.

I don't think that this is a major problem when you are connected to shore power since the house batteries will be charging and the click is just the chassis battery coming on and off. However, if it is a continual problem I would call FR to see what they say, since there are a lot of BCC vendors but replacing one might be a little complicated since the BCC also connects to a lot of your accessories on the coach. It won't hurt anything but it really shouldn't keep doing this all the time. Seems that Wurth doesn't even list the part anymore on their main web site.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:54 AM   #7

If you are referring to the round solenoid I believe it is the chassis/coach battery tie relay. It energizes when emergency start is selected but also energizes to charge chassis battery when coach battery reaches full charge while on shore power. In this manner both batteries are kept charged with coach battery having priority when on shore power and chassis battery having priority when not on shore power and engine is running. Just a thought.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #8

Here's the latest on the clicking sound coming from the Battery Control Center. I contacted Forest River Sunseeker service. I was contacted by Brian Meeks, customer service. He advised me to remove the Battery Isolation Manager module from the Wurth Electronik circuit board. He said I could operate my RV if I was connected to shoreline and if the alternator was working properly. He also said to get to an authorized repair site and have them replace the circuit board. FR would pay for 1 hour of labor and parts as this is a recall repair. Repair site would have to contact him to order part. So, I'm going on my trip and deal with the problem when I get back.
Thanks to all who commented with helpful information.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:28 PM   #9

bad BIM

The recall from the NHTSTA referred to BIMs ending in the letter A. This one ends in C. Even still, it's probably a bad BIM (battery isolation module).
Old 05-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #10
MH Noob

Gmax,

After a week at home, my clicking stopped. It is almost identical to yours but switched. When I turn ON the house battery switch the clicking stops. This must have something to do with the voltage on the battery as it only does it when my battery is over 13.7 volts on a finishing charge.

Seeing as mine is a 2014 and FR offered to pay for yours to be repaired, I will be on the phone with them today - I hate electrical weirdness, makes me uncomfortable.
Slimjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Here's the latest on the clicking sound coming from the Battery Control Center. I contacted Forest River Sunseeker service. I was contacted by Brian Meeks, customer service. He advised me to remove the Battery Isolation Manager module from the Wurth Electronik circuit board. He said I could operate my RV if I was connected to shoreline and if the alternator was working properly. He also said to get to an authorized repair site and have them replace the circuit board. FR would pay for 1 hour of labor and parts as this is a recall repair. Repair site would have to contact him to order part. So, I'm going on my trip and deal with the problem when I get back.
Thanks to all who commented with helpful information.
It took the dealer all day to replace the control center circuit board...mainly because no schematics were included with the new brand...thus, dealer had to guess what went where.

Tags
electric, electrical