Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
2015 Sunseeker 2300

Electrical outlets on 2300

Does anyone have problems or issues with having the outlets under the upper cabinets over the sink. I know there is NO counter space in the kitchen where do you plug in a coffee maker or an electric skillet the one I have seen there are NO outlets mounted low one outlet under the upper cabinet which means all cords are hanging down while you are trying to work in those few INCHES of space
Gingsnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #2

i use a power strip that i placed on the counter this way i have one cord hanging down. i velcroed it so i can clean under it. i have my coffee , toaster, and can opener pluged into it keep on camping
oldnewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #3

Same here. consider going to the big box hardware store and get a power strip that is narrow as lto fit behind the stove top and a flat plug.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
2015 Sunseeker 2300

You would think they would take into consideration that cords hanging down would not be safe If you used an electric skillet as I do in the summer the cord would not even reach the outlet so I guess we will have to use a power strip as well and just let it be tacky
Old 11-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #5

We have the same thing in our TT. We just use a short extension chord to plug in what we need.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #6

An electrician (pro or handyman) could install another outlet on the side of the sink cabinet by the steps, just below the folded countertop extension. The wire to that outlet would be routed along the floor in the cabinets, through the gap in the back of the furnace, under the bed, and into the panel box. It can connect to the GFCI breaker. Or the other outlets breaker, if you don't want GFCI protection. As a bonus, it would be a nice place to plug in an electric heater at night.

I haven't done it, but I've scoped it out. Easy peasy for someone who knows how.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:59 AM   #7

We use a Black and Decker coffee maker with a thermal pot. Put it on the sink cover, plug in and brew coffee, then remove coffee maker to make the sink available. Coffee stays hot in thermal pot without need to keep plugged in. For other things like toaster, we use the countertop extension and the cord just reaches the plug. For crockpot, I put it on the stove (added a stove cover) and use a small household extension cord (since a crock pot doesn't draw much power). Haven't used a skillet, but would probably put it on stove cover and use a heavy extension cord like they sell for use with window air conditioners, etc.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 11-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
An electrician (pro or handyman) could install another outlet on the side of the sink cabinet by the steps, just below the folded countertop extension. The wire to that outlet would be routed along the floor in the cabinets, through the gap in the back of the furnace, under the bed, and into the panel box. It can connect to the GFCI breaker. Or the other outlets breaker, if you don't want GFCI protection. As a bonus, it would be a nice place to plug in an electric heater at night.

I haven't done it, but I've scoped it out. Easy peasy for someone who knows how.

Great idea. I would definitely want GFCI protection since you would be using appliances on the countertop near the sink.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
2015 Sunseeker 2300

All of these are great ideas just seems to me what we pay for these motor homes Forest River would find a way to install outlets in more convenient places than having to have a cord "hanging" from the upper cabinet! That's just tacky and not real safe! I would think if they installed a post type something running from the upper cabinet to the counter top you could install the outlet in that . I never even thought about no outlets along the floor you are right none there either!..good point about the heater. Our camper had all outlets located properly..I am thinking Forest River must not have women in the layout stage lol
Old 11-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #10

I should add, it won't automatically have GCFI protection simply by using that breaker. It will still need to be a GFCI outlet. I should revise the whole bit of advice. Under the cabinets is the back side of the exterior outlet. It is also on the GFCI circuit. You could simply tap into that outlet, to supply the new outlet, rather than running all the way back to the panel.

And in that case, it "might" already be GFCI protected, depending on how the circuit is laid out now.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
2015 Sunseeker 2300

could you run wires from the outlet down the wall you could use the track thing they run wiring in offices that stick to the base boards and have the outlet on the wall yes I know it will not be recessed but it sure would be practical! Do they make outlets that are slimmer for small spaces? Or some sort of post that would hide the wires and the outlet could mount inside of?
Old 11-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #12

I have no experience with those surface mount wiring products but I'm sure it can be done.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #13

They make boxes and conduit for surface mounting. You should be able to find it at any electrical supply store or your local home center.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #14
2015 Sunseeker 2300

Thanks I will find someone that can do electrical work and see about surface mounting if we can do this why can't forest River?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingsnap View Post
if we can do this why can't forest River?
There actually ARE some things that you can do, that we cannot do because of code requirements. You are not bound by those same codes, because then you are taking on the liability.

Attached is a 2300 kitchen picture. By code, we can not put an outlet within a certain distance of the range. There is no room by the door, so we put outlets in the only feasible spot that we can.

There is also an outlet at the base of the dinette. That may go to the wall of the wardrobe on the sofa, but I'm sure you can request that or have the dealer install one there.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with women designers or men designers. I am a man. I use an electric skillet and make some mean pancakes. I am the primary breakfast maker on vacation and my wife handles dinner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2300outlets.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	66175  

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #16
2015 Sunseeker 2300

Sure wish y'all would consider the 2 burner stove like the Lexington has it would give a few more inches of precious counter space and if you installed it vertical it would really be nice with the glass top folding towards the refrig wall.. then get an oval or rectangle sink you would open up the counter even more.... why can't you install an outlet under the flip counter top? looks like that would be an ideal place .. I will definitely request an outlet on the front of the wardrobe thanks for that suggestion otherwise there would not be a place for charging phones or using laptops on that side of the unit as always thanks for your knowledge
Old 11-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #17
Commercial Member

We're taking the 2 burner out of the Lexington as well. 99% of the people that walk in complain that it is only two small burners and that a big pot + sauté pan would not fit with how it is recessed. So back to 3 burner.

can't install outlet behind counter extension due to code reasons. Also, it would only be available with the extension in an extended position. If people are coming in and out it would keep dropping onto any plugs that extend out of there.

As for phones...we are now installing a 4 port USB changing station on all new builds.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
Great idea. I would definitely want GFCI protection since you would be using appliances on the countertop near the sink.

If you have spare room in your panel may I suggest that you install a 20 amp breaker and wire to carry that to the new GFI. Yes you do want it on a GFI near any water areas to be safe. Extra outlet at night for another space heater....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #19

Unfortunately, in my 2300, there is no room for more circuits in the panel. They already use twin half-width breakers, and it's full up. A person could probably buy the bars from WFCO that are missing from the RH side of the panel. That makes it a 50A configuration, but it can be set up to run as more circuits from the LH side instead.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #20

As to the stove, 2 burners would be better, but only if it still comes with an oven. The oven was a selling point for us.

Tags
electric, electrical