RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #1

Electrical problem Sunseeker 2860

We bought our Sunseeker about a year ago. We found the shoreline plug had a leg that had been burnt. This was from the previous owner. When we were plugged in we lost power in the motor home. The breaker distribution panel would get hot and we would lose power in the motor home. When we returned home we replaced the shore line plug. No more problems we thought. We are on vacation in Florida and twice we have lost power. First time we weren't here so didn't know if there was a glitch in outside power. Second time we were watching tv with only the air conditioner running and lost power. I checked the distribution panel and it was hot. Nothing was blocking the panel. Any ideas on the cause of this? We are stumped. The Panel is a WFCO Inverter, distribution panel. Our Sunseeker is a 2005 2860. Any input would be helpful.
drvr84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If a leg on the plug was burnt, any part of the wiring between the plug and the convertor may be compromised also. How does the plug look on the side if the motor home? Turn off the power. Disconnect at the side of the motor home, and then reapply power and see if you getting power all the way through the cord. Could also plug in a vacuum or something loud you can hear outside, and start wiggling the cord around, and see if power come back. If power is getting through the cord, time to get the covers off the convertor, and see if you have power on the bus bar that feeds the breakers. I am assuming you have a meter, and know how to use it. Please be careful, voltage can kill.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #3

I should have mentioned that the power did come back on after I reset the breaker. The main breaker was tripped. When I checked the breakers I noticed then the panel/converter was hot. As for the receptacle it looks fine. We assumed that the plug had been fried when plugged into a pedestal. However, it could have happened when it was plugged into the inline connection. The question is what is making the panel overheat? The breaker is thermal magnetic and the heat is evidently making the breaker trip. Trying to figure out what the cause of the heat is.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #4

Our electrical panel has a fan to keep it cool. It doesn't run all the time, but definitely comes on from time to time when using a lot of lights and such. Maybe yours is burnt out?
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvr84 View Post
I should have mentioned that the power did come back on after I reset the breaker. The main breaker was tripped. When I checked the breakers I noticed then the panel/converter was hot. As for the receptacle it looks fine. We assumed that the plug had been fried when plugged into a pedestal. However, it could have happened when it was plugged into the inline connection. The question is what is making the panel overheat? The breaker is thermal magnetic and the heat is evidently making the breaker trip. Trying to figure out what the cause of the heat is.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.
Hope this isn't a can of worms for you but others have found. Hidden junction boxes 120 VAC with poor connections. These cause heat and high current in circuits already loaded, such as ac or converters. Just a thought, found by locating ac wiring in spaces behind furniture, appliances etc. Routing from source to loads. Some boxes have no rhyme or reason, should have been single runs. A clamp on ammeter would be useful in checking ac circuit consumption. Current won't always be excessive, could be high causing the eventual trips. These bad joints can be on neutral white wiring as well as black load sides. Current consumption can be checked at the breaker panel by removing the outer face exposing the leads at breaders.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #6

If the main breaker was tripped that would indicate that you were using more then the amp intended for the unit. You will have to figure out how many amps were being used when the breaker tripped. Tv, AC, fridge and any other item that is drawing AC. Did you have the water heater on AC?
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #7

the most basic place to start on heat problems are tighten all electric wire terminations. then inspect where main breaker ties on buss bar. signs of heat would be pitting on buss bar or black carbon tracking same area.
skipper194242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #8

Thanks to all. This gives some ideas. Believe we are going to take into the shop. This is something that really needs to be worked on by a professional. Tinkering around could cause more harm than good. Not to mention the danger. We believe that it is the fan being burnt out. Have seen other post concerning that with the panel/converter and the fan burning up.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #9

Vey good move!
Old 06-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #10

Red face Found the problem and thanks to all!

Just to let everyone know. We took it over to our RV dealer and explained the problem in detail. After about 4 days I called them and was told that they had run for 1-1/2 hours on generator and no problem could be found. I explained it was on the shore line as I had first told them. So after another 3 days we were told same result and nothing wrong. We went and picked it up and brought it home. Frustrated, but wondering if it wasn't a glitch in the electricity at the park. We had some things to do in it so we plugged in our shore line & cranked up the ac and proceeded with our chores. Bingo. Breaker tripped not once, but twice and the panel hotter than a pistol. Called the dealer up and was told to bring it in and they would check it one more time at no charge. Husband ran ac on generator on the 20 mile trip. It tripped and was hot when we got there. Had an electrician check it out and it tripped again. He thought it was in the a/c so he opened the inverter cover and removed the panel cover and attached a volt meter. Instead of drawing more amperage it went down. He moved the mattress and the cover over the inverter. One look and knew what the problem was. There is hardly any clearance around the inverter. It draws air from one channel by the water tank. He recommended removing the rest of the knockouts in the fuse panel and connecting a computer fan to another circuit. They could do it, but the cost would be $200 +. We have decided to remove the knockouts and hook a 4" fan up at the receptacle by the bed. Then run the cord under the mattress base and place the fan next to the inverter. That way we don't have to worry about something running constantly and drawing down the battery.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:04 PM   #11

I have an issue with our 2014 2500 TS Sun Seeker. Once in a while when we are dry camping he solenoid in the battery distribution center starts clicking. This fall house batteries were taken out and I started the engine and the clicking started again and continues. Evidently its got something to do with the engine. I have a new solenoid to replace the original but is it a faulty solenoid or something else that |I should be concerned about.

Brandon2
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon 2 View Post
I have an issue with our 2014 2500 TS Sun Seeker. Once in a while when we are dry camping he solenoid in the battery distribution center starts clicking. This fall house batteries were taken out and I started the engine and the clicking started again and continues. Evidently its got something to do with the engine. I have a new solenoid to replace the original but is it a faulty solenoid or something else that |I should be concerned about.

Brandon2

My first guess would be the printed circuit board in the "BIRD" controlling the solenoid. The voltage to the solenoid should be rock solid not fluctuating allowing the sol. to chatter. You can verify with a VOM.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #13

Soleniod Clicking

I know I am late in responding but the unit was winterized and just not used over that time.
Anyway I sent an e-mail to Russell Stall of forest River and here is his response.
"It sounds like there is an issue with the Batter isolator manager inside of the Battery Control Center If its is a Worth Electronics brand box then the parts are no longer available. You will need to change out the complete BCC."
Well I checked and sure enough it is a Worth Electronics BCC. With pats no long available it makes me a bit sick because the motor home is a 2014.
The dealer here is useless. The tek guy told me it was a relay. so I replaced the relays and the clicking was still there.
My question to Russ is what battery control Center should or would replace the existing Worth Unit (Should be renamed Worthless" So waiting for his response. I also o went back on the forum for any other input. Someone else out there must have had this same issue

Brandon2 2014 2500TS Sun Seeker.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:29 PM   #14
MH Noob

Brandon - is it the relay/solenoid in the K2 position?
Slimjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon 2 View Post
I know I am late in responding but the unit was winterized and just not used over that time.
Anyway I sent an e-mail to Russell Stall of forest River and here is his response.
"It sounds like there is an issue with the Batter isolator manager inside of the Battery Control Center If its is a Worth Electronics brand box then the parts are no longer available. You will need to change out the complete BCC."
Well I checked and sure enough it is a Worth Electronics BCC. With pats no long available it makes me a bit sick because the motor home is a 2014.
The dealer here is useless. The tek guy told me it was a relay. so I replaced the relays and the clicking was still there.
My question to Russ is what battery control Center should or would replace the existing Worth Unit (Should be renamed Worthless" So waiting for his response. I also o went back on the forum for any other input. Someone else out there must have had this same issue

Brandon2 2014 2500TS Sun Seeker.

If you are still looking- Itellitec has provided lots of bcc systems to FR. Provides compound charging from shore power and chassis power.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:06 AM   #16

Did not have to look any further . Russ sent me a new precision circuit unit to replace the defective worth unit. The RV dealer is to install it in middle of May. The precision units are now used on the Sun Seekers.

Brandon2
2014TS Sun Seeker