Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #1

EMS Install

Have a 2017 3050s and wondering if anyone has installed an EMS hard wired inline. The only power cable that seems accessible is a very short length in the very rear driver side cellar compartment. Unless there's a better way all I can see is unhooking the existing cable from the outside connector, then running a new length of cable between the outside connector to the compartment. That way there's enough slack to wire the EMS in.

Is there a better way of doing this or any problems I might run into?

Here's a picture of the exposed cable I have to work with!
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180410_133812.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	167857Click image for larger version

Name:	20180410_133759.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	167858
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
Always Learning

That's definitely a way to do it. If you do that, you might consider what some other folks have done with installing plugs on each side so they can easily remove the EMS when they upgrade rigs.

Different rig, but on my last right, mine was installed behind my circuit breakers/distribution panel where the power feeds the camper. There was plenty of excess wire in that place. But this compartment seems a whole lot easier to work in.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

This is how I did it:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1732415
Old 04-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That's definitely a way to do it. If you do that, you might consider what some other folks have done with installing plugs on each side so they can easily remove the EMS when they upgrade rigs.

Different rig, but on my last right, mine was installed behind my circuit breakers/distribution panel where the power feeds the camper. There was plenty of excess wire in that place. But this compartment seems a whole lot easier to work in.
Oh, I like that idea of putting connectors fore and aft of the EMS! Didn't cross my mind at all thanks for the idea. That would also make it possible for me to work with the small amount of cable exposed without having to remove the outside power connector and run the risk of it letting water in afterwards.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Thank you that's my other option and I'm heading over to the RV to take a look at the room around the power panel. The EMS is 9.5"X5"X3" so I'll have to see. Optimally it would be great to have it inside so it can be checked easily. But the power panel is located below the fridge and right next to it is the water heater, control boards, ducts, etc. But I may have room away from all that and run a longer length of cable...
Old 04-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Mine is under the fridge as well but the furnace is in there with it vs the water heater.
The reason for using the twistlock plugs is so you can bypass the unit if the board gets fried by a lightening strike or a massive power spike. That way, you can still power up while you wait for Progressive (or other) to overnight you a new board. I would have taken my previous unit out of my totaled Class A as it was mounted the same way but the unit was wet and the wires to the monitor were not accessible.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:28 PM   #7

In are 2017 I put the ems in the driver side storage compartment. I took out the Luan
Wall found the wires ran through the wall
Then mounted it on the wall .
Are rig is the 3170
Fisher72 is offline   Reply With Quote