Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2021, 05:41 PM   #1

Question Engine power

We have 2012 Forester on Ford chase. We had issues on our last trip to CO with power climbing mountains in New Mexico and CO. We never had this problem on previous trip. We were pulling our Ford Escape on a dolly, like always.
I remember reading somewhere that there is something in the engine that needs to be adjusted, to get better pulling power at higher altitude. Before we left DH changed out air filter and fuel filter.
I guess I’m asking the right question, I am DW and I was trying to explain to hubby.
We are looking to buy a used 2018 4 door Jeep as our toad, and I was hoping to get the pulling in mountains issue solved before making another trip out west.
TYIA
DD
CJnDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:58 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

I’ll be watching this thread. Modern vehicle engines these days......and I’m betting your 2012 Forester is powered by the Ford E350/450 V10 engine.....are sophisticated enough to deal with altitude without having to adjust something. Maybe premium fuel would help at much higher elevations, but that’s all.

I’ll wait and see what others say.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:58 PM   #3
Have Camera will Travel

It has been mentioned before but first to try is to clean the Maf. I'm not sure where it is on a V10 but it will be in intake system between the air filter and the intake manifold. You can use a contact cleaner. The next thing would be if the cats are plugged. That can really suck power.
2000 W inverter.
Koni FSD shocks and upgraded castor bushings.
Canadian Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:01 AM   #4

Engine power

Did you get a CEL? If so then the power loss can be tracked down. If not something else is happening. How many miles do you have? Dirty injectors or air filter, worn plugs/wires and poor cooling can all create power loss. Have you changed/inspected any of these items?

Did you notice any changes to temps or oil pressure? Trans could be an issue too, last time fluids were changed?
avengers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:19 AM   #5

Someone mentioned this tool and I am now using it. I believe it works... For $10 why not try it now and into the future of your trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b12.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	251622  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:25 AM   #6

Thank you gentlemen, I will show your replies to DH.
Looking forward to a smoother ride to CO this year!
Old 04-10-2021, 11:49 AM   #7
D W

Just a thought here, when is the last time the spark plugs were changed in that rig?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Just a thought here, when is the last time the spark plugs were changed in that rig?
He changed them right before our trip last year. Same time as changing air filter and fuel filter.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJnDD View Post
He changed them right before our trip last year. Same time as changing air filter and fuel filter.
As a general rule, often when there is a change in performance or operation of a machine just after work was done on it, some aspect of that work is a prime suspect for causing the problem.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:38 PM   #10
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJnDD View Post
Given that, and absent a CEL, the only thing left is to put a scan tool on the engine to check everything from the MAF to the O2 sensors as well as short term and long term fuel trims under driving conditions. The readings will at least give you a picture of how the engine is performing. Many of the OBDII parameters are wide enough that it won't throw a code, but engine efficiency will decline. Is your mpg suffering more than it did in the past?

One other thing to consider: Has there been an increase in your transmission temp?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:05 PM   #11

There could be a problem with the fuel pump. At first the pump might be producing the correct pressure, but as you drive for hours it gets hot and you press on the accelerator more to pass traffic, go up a hill or mountain, it doesn’t produce enough pressure. So then the engine runs lean and it doesn’t make the rated HP.

It could be like Canadian said a dirty MAF wire. Over many miles dirt gets past the air filter and gets on the tiny wires of the MAF. The MAF is in the air filter housing right after the air filter.

Injector cleaner can help too. The E350/450’s have 55 gallon tanks, most cleaners bottles of 16oz or so, treat about 20 gallons. That means you would need at least two bottles. Or one if you have less than half a tank of gas. I’ve used Chevron Techron with good results. I usually put 2 bottles in on the first tank of a trip, drive it 4 hours or so for it to do it’s job.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:32 PM   #12

Not sure if you are experienced going over mountain passes, but you will lose 3% of your power for every 1,000 feet of elevation gain in a normally aspirated engine. You will loose 1/3 of your power going over Wolf Creek Pass for example. Some passes are steeper than others and will seem much harder on your engine even though the elevations are similar. Also, hotter weather will result in less oxygen in the air and can effect it as well. If you are comparing going over the same passes under the same conditions, then you may have an issue. As someone else stated, watching your MPG over time should warn you if something changes in the engine for the worse. Most motorhomes pulling a toad that aren't diesel pushers, will be doing no more than 25 mph at the top of Wolf Creek or Monarch pass.
Bdcothran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power