Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2021, 02:30 PM   #1

Equalizer System leveling setup process different than previous systems

I have a 2021 3051S Forester Classic with the EQ Smart-Level System from Equalizer Systems (EQ021R1, w/ 7" square jack feet). Despite the sticker on the Convenience Center stating parking brake should be set and the engine on prior to running the jacks, I've learned this is not the case. The Equalizer system runs differently than previous leveling systems. FR has confirmed the engine has to be off and the parking brake should be disengaged.

The steps I verified with FR are:

1) Park in designated spot (pay attention for slide clearance, trees, hookups, etc)
2) Keep engine running, set the parking brake and make sure transmission is in Park.
3) Extend slide.
4) Turn off engine and release parking brake.
5) Optional: When possible, connect to shore power or start generator prior to using the leveling system.
6) Power on the Equalizer leveling system.
7) Lower the stabilizing jacks (auto or manual) until level.
8) If using generator for leveling only, power it off.

FR told me "Running the slide while not perfectly level will not cause issues, that slim rack system has some give to adjust for that." I'm still a little concerned since they did not state how much is too much.

The jack labeling on the control panel wasn't intuitive to me. You'll need to pretend the front of the RV is the upper-left on the control panel if lowering in manual mode. Front = RF, Left = LF, Right = RR, Rear = LR.

Lastly, any time you turn the ignition key the jack start to auto retract. This is probably a good safety feature, but sometimes you just want to roll down the front cab windows without the jacks retracting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ES.jpg
Views:	2234
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	247932  
Redding, CA (way up north)
Patten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:38 PM   #2

After reading the steps, they may need to be refined a bit. As far as I know, the only reason to have your engine running while leveling is to prevent issues that may result from depleted coach batteries when you are not connected to shore power or have the generator running. Also, requesting to put the slides our first before leveling does not seem right to me given what is generally accepted as the norm which is to level first and then put the slides out. Putting the slides out first would seem to work against the laws of physics which is pointed out in this Q&A.

https://www.hamiltonsrv.com/what-to-...g%20components.

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patten View Post
I have a 2021 3051S Forester Classic with the EQ Smart-Level System from Equalizer Systems (EQ021R1, w/ 7" square jack feet). Despite the sticker on the Convenience Center stating parking brake should be set and the engine on prior to running the jacks, I've learned this is not the case. The Equalizer system runs differently than previous leveling systems. FR has confirmed the engine has to be off and the parking brake should be disengaged.

The steps I verified with FR are:

1) Park in designated spot (pay attention for slide clearance, trees, hookups, etc)
2) Keep engine running, set the parking brake and make sure transmission is in Park.
3) Extend slide.
4) Turn off engine and release parking brake.
5) Optional: When possible, connect to shore power or start generator prior to using the leveling system.
6) Power on the Equalizer leveling system.
7) Lower the stabilizing jacks (auto or manual) until level.
8) If using generator for leveling only, power it off.

FR told me "Running the slide while not perfectly level will not cause issues, that slim rack system has some give to adjust for that." I'm still a little concerned since they did not state how much is too much.

The jack labeling on the control panel wasn't intuitive to me. You'll need to pretend the front of the RV is the upper-left on the control panel if lowering in manual mode. Front = RF, Left = LF, Right = RR, Rear = LR.

Lastly, any time you turn the ignition key the jack start to auto retract. This is probably a good safety feature, but sometimes you just want to roll down the front cab windows without the jacks retracting.
On our 2020 model with LCI levelers, I must turn the chassis key on in order to operate the slides. Key on and engine running to operate lower the jacks. Is that not the case with your 2021, since turning the key on moving the slides would cause the jacks to retract?

Not being able to turn the chassis key on for other reasons because it would retract the jacks is an issue Forest River needs to address. You want to lower the window or check the fuel gauge and it makes the jacks retract? They need to rethink that logic.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
After reading the steps, they may need to be refined a bit. As far as I know, the only reason to have your engine running while leveling is to prevent issues that may result from depleted coach batteries when you are not connected to shore power or have the generator running. Also, requesting to put the slides our first before leveling does not seem right to me given what is generally accepted as the norm which is to level first and then put the slides out. Putting the slides out first would seem to work against the laws of physics which is pointed out in this Q&A.

https://www.hamiltonsrv.com/what-to-...g%20components.
I'm all for refining and learning. The first step of the Slide manual states: "Make sure the engine or generator is running to ensure ample voltage is being supplied to the slide-out controller." I haven't figured out a way to put the slide out without the engine running and parking break set. I was unable to do so when on shore power. Therefore, I haven't found a way to level first, then extend the slide (as I planned on doing). I will test generator only in a little bit.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patten View Post
I'm all for refining and learning. The first step of the Slide manual states: "Make sure the engine or generator is running to ensure ample voltage is being supplied to the slide-out controller." I haven't figured out a way to put the slide out without the engine running and parking break set. I was unable to do so when on shore power. Therefore, I haven't found a way to level first, then extend the slide (as I planned on doing). I will test generator only in a little bit.
Nice update. Sounds like they must have wired the controller power to the chassis power hence the need to have the engine on or at least the ignition on. Someone would have to explain the rational for that to me as off the top of my head as I can not think of one. We have been in a couple of situations where we had to put the slides in in the middle of the night because of bad weather. I'd hate to think that in that situation we'd also have to start the engine to be able to do so. Depending on what you want to do for the future, you may have the option of rewiring the controller power to the coach power to avoid having to start the engine before putting the slides out. This would also require you to monitor the state of your coach batteries more closely. I.e. a good battery monitoring system could serve this purpose which is what I did.

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:12 PM   #6

Testing in the driveway is always better than the road... Yesterday I was able to turn the key to ACC with the jacks down, without them retracting, to lower windows or check fuel gauge. Woohoo! Turning to ON signals an audible alarm from the Equalizer control panel. Turning to Start retracts the jacks.

I'm hopeful to play around this weekend with being able to put the jacks down and then the slide with the key on ACC, but on shore power to help ensure ample voltage is being supplied to the motors. Fingers crossed. If anyone has any other methods with the Equalizer system then I'd love to hear them.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
On our 2020 model with LCI levelers, I must turn the chassis key on in order to operate the slides. Key on and engine running to operate lower the jacks. Is that not the case with your 2021, since turning the key on moving the slides would cause the jacks to retract?

Not being able to turn the chassis key on for other reasons because it would retract the jacks is an issue Forest River needs to address. You want to lower the window or check the fuel gauge and it makes the jacks retract? They need to rethink that logic.
See my 2019 is opposite. Engine running and brake on for the slides and key on, and brake set, but not engine running for the levelers. I swear every year they wire it up different, lol.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:37 AM   #8

I have the Bigfoot system in my 2014.
My buddie has the LCI system.

The Bigfoot system with the control box is so much easier. Go to manual and raise whichever jacks u want. My buddies is a nightmare. We spent a lot of time trying to perfect it on camping trips, still haven’t got it 100% right.
Thinking about getting a new rig.....I am frightened of these new jack systems.
Bring Bigfoot back!!!
cyacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyacc View Post
I have the Bigfoot system in my 2014.
My buddie has the LCI system.

The Bigfoot system with the control box is so much easier. Go to manual and raise whichever jacks u want. My buddies is a nightmare. We spent a lot of time trying to perfect it on camping trips, still haven’t got it 100% right.
Thinking about getting a new rig.....I am frightened of these new jack systems.
Bring Bigfoot back!!!
My LCI system can do that. Scroll up or down until you get to manual extend or retract and then go from there. I extend the rear until they touch. Then extend the fronts to level, then lastly side-to-side. You can manual retract the same way or just scroll to auto retract. I have never had the Bigfoot system so I cannot compare but the LCI has been fine.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:17 PM   #10

Update: Learning, learning, learning. For anyone following or for future searches... After some additional testing, I've figured out a little more on the Equalizer System leveling system in my 3051S. Due to the recent change in manufacture, the messaging and documentation from FR wasn't clear so it has been learning by trial and error. If anyone is doing different steps, I'm interested in hearing.

3051 Leveling prior to Slide with Equalizer System: (my preferred method)
1) Power connected/on (shore or generator)
2) Engine off, key off
3) Power on the Equalizer leveling system*
4) Lower the stabilizing jacks (auto or manual) until level
5) Turn key to ON.* (you will hear audible alarm from Equalizer control panel)
6) Extend the slide
7) Remove key from ignition (alarm will stop)

If your preference is to extend the slide prior to leveling, the steps would be...

3051 Slide prior to Leveling with Equalizer System:
1) In Park, with engine running
2) Extend slide
3) Turn off engine and remove the ignition key
4) Power connected/on (shore or generator)
5) Power on the Equalizer leveling system
6) Lower the stabilizing jacks (auto or manual) until level

Correction: The labeling on my picture originally posted here is incorrect. The 4 buttons controlling the jacks on the Equalizer system do not represent individual jacks. Each button controls 2 jacks simultaneously. So you can either control the Front two, Back two, Left two or Right two.

Tags
equalizer, leveling