Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2017, 01:16 AM   #1

Eternabond the roof edging

I know it's been discussed many times, but I am curious how the tape is holding up on those that have applied it? My Forest just turned 2 and the caulking/paint has cracked in a few spot over this hot summer. Last fall, I applied fresh caulk in the 2 or 3 spots. This year, I am contemplating applying Eternabond around the perimeter caulked rim painted over with the he full body paint. If I do, what's the suggested width? I see Amazon has it in 2",3" and 4" in 50 foot rolls. Probably need 2 rolls with my 28' overall length. I'm sure no one has had any leaks with it, right?
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #2

Eternabond

Sagecoach, I did the front cap roof seal in eternabond about 18 months ago. I recently had to take it up. I've since learned that you should put dicor on the seams of the eternabond because otherwise it will act like a band-aid and eventually start peeling off when it is wet. i was seeing gaps in the adhesive on mine and it was clear that water would eventually erode it.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #3

I just did all edges with the 4" wide tape. On the aft seam I put dicor down on top of the tape. This weekend I am going to go back down the port and starboard sides and put down dicor as well.
2014 2500HD Duramax Crew 4WD
2015 Forest River Salem 30QBSS
JnScattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:48 AM   #4
Camper

Putting dicor on the edges of the eternabond tape kind of defeats the purpose of eternabond. Now you have to go up and check your eternabond seams twice a year anyway. Eternabond so you don't need dicor but dicor the edge of the eternabond.

I eternabond'ed the front cap seam and a few of the vents on the roof of my old Jayco. After a few years I only found a single spot where the tape did not stick so well on and edge. I guess I did not apply enough pressure in that area to properly adhere the tape. It was in an area that was quite raised and uneven due to the the dicor and the cap seam at the corner where the trim piece went down the front cap. This uneven-ness may have added to the lifting of the eternabond. A second strip would have solved the issue.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #5

I use Eternaprime when I apply Eternabond, you can get spray or you can get the one that you paint on with a brush, l prefer the paint on application so l get good coverage, after it's painted on let it set 25 minutes then apply Eternabond.
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #6

I just purchased both Eternabond and Dicor sealant to reseal the roof of my Solera. I was thinking of removing the old sealant around the skylights with acetone and anywhere else that looked bad, then applying new Dicor sealant and topping it with Eternabond? Is this the best approach to use both?
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
I just purchased both Eternabond and Dicor sealant to reseal the roof of my Solera. I was thinking of removing the old Duraseal around the skylights with acetone and anywhere else that looked bad, then applying new Duraseal and topping it with Eternabond? Is this the best approach to use both?
I did not put Eternabond around sewer vents it roof vents, because it is something that may need replacing and even though Eternabond can be removed it's not easy, I put three layers of 1/8 inch x 1 inch buytl tape the sealed with Dicor self leveling lap sealant, let it set a month and went over the Dicor with another layer, maybe and over kill but I am satisfied it will not leak. As for the skylight I removed it when I did some major roof repair on my TT, I purchased it used and have finished most of the repairs.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #8

I ran a 4" strip across the front cap after cleaning both sides of the seam with acetone. I put Dicor in the corners by the gutters where the water sometimes accumulates. Time will tell
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #9

I applied 6" and 4" Eternabond on my Lazy Daze class C two years ago. I used acetone for prepping and heavy steel hand roller to press tape to roof. No evidence of pealing. Seals and adheres well.
rvfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #10

If applied correctly, it won't peel. The stuff won't come off and lasts a long time. My last Eternabond seal job was about 3 years old and looked great. A large and low hanging tree branch got me a new roof and as soon as the dicor dries I will eternabond all of the seams again.

Although I don't use Eternabond primer, I recommend it for those folks whose roof is hard to get a good clean on.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:06 PM   #11

I used the 6" tape and did all my roof seams and most of the roof openings. I cleaned it carefully with the last step using acetone. Only been a few months so time will tell.

See my post here.
Paranoid About Leaks - Eternabond Done

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?p=134189
Old 08-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #12

I applied eternabond 6" tape to my travel trailer roof last spring (2016) and I am very happy with the results on the flat or bumpy surfaces. BUT I allowed it to slightly extend over the the edge of the roof, creating about a 45 degree angle. The Eternabond started to lift after less than one year on the 45 degree angle.
I prepared the surface by washing with soap and water then cleaning with varsol.
I am curious to know what others have to say about applying to surfaces other than flat areas.
Barry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:03 PM   #13

I've given up on this idea and will let my dealer clean,inspect and seal any areas of my roof on a yearly basis. They guarantee the work so it's like a yearly extended roof warranty. Besides, my hips are giving me a hard time climbing down from the roof! [emoji1]I can get up there no problem but getting down is causing me some anxiety!

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:37 PM   #14

I installed Eternabond two summers ago on my side roof edges and front and back seams. I looked at it last month and found nothing to worry about... it was not lifting in the least. It sticks and it sticks like crazy if it is properly installed with a clean surface and plenty of pressure applied when applying it. The paper tape that covers the top of the tape keeps the UV rays from deteriorating the surface of the tape. I installed mine over only a one year old base factory caulking job. The most time was taken on cleaning the old caulk/roof interface so the tape would stick and hold.

There seems to be many Eternabond products now on the market that will help prep your roof surface to apply the tape. Instructional videos and products are shown on this website...

I absolutely recommend preemptive sealing up the roof using Eternabond tape.

https://www.eternabond.com/RV-Leak-R...ducts-s/22.htm

My write up when I did my roof...
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-90060.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:36 PM   #15

How about 11 years and counting.
I applied eternabond to all the areas that had dicor when our unit was new in Sept of 2006. The surface of the eternabond is starting to show some deterioration, but it is still serviceable and sticking well.
I have had to do zero roof maintenance, the unit is under cover during the winter months, but is outside for at least 6 months of the year.
John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #16

Used 4" eternabond tape on my front cap about 6 months ago. Cleaned with denatured alcohol and used the spray prep. Fixed my leak, looks good, and very easy to do. I know at a dollar a foot that it is expensive, but it's cheaper than repairing water damage. I plan on buying more and doing some more seems as a precaution.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:45 AM   #17
BEFUDDELED MEMBER

this is working fine .
Forest River Forums - shooter2's Album: Sealing roof w/ ETERNABOND - Picture
Viet combat vet USNR, DAV, VFW, CCL. SASS
shooter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #18

Got another item off the checklist this weekend. It was nice on Saturday and in the high 50's so I finally took the time to apply 6" eternabond tape on the front and rear end cap and corners. I was not having any leaks and the dicor is in pretty good shape so this was more of a preventative maintenance project on my 2016 3011. I had bought two roll's of 6" eternabond but after giving it some more thought I only used the one 6" roll for the end caps/corners and if I decide to do the sides then that will be next season and I will probably use 4" eternabond instead of 6".

PS. It was probably good that I did this in the fall as the cooler temp helped make the eternabond more workable. Also, if anyone is going to do the same project, I now have a 50' x 6" roll of eternabond that I no longer need and would be willing to part with for a few $'s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171104_134050.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	155797   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171104_134135.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	155798  
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #19

Looks good, i agree with using the 4 inch Eternabond on the long runs it will be easier to apply. But as soon as you get rid of the 6 inch you will need it, lol.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:30 PM   #20
Just as confused as you

newRVer, not telling you what to do but, if it were me I would have put the eternabond all the way on the side seams. That way you wouldn't have to do it later.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond, forester, roo, roof