RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #1

Ever left an unprotected vent open while storing your RV?

I store my RV at the lot where I bought it and there are many, many other RVs and campers there too. About once a season I notice a camper with vents standing wide open. If it rained while they were open it would cause lots of damage.

Just this past Monday I was at the RV lot on top of my RV and noticed the class A next to me had 2 of its 3 vents nearly fully opened. I don't know how long it had been that way but we are in a drought and haven't had rain in many weeks.

When I see this, I stop at the service desk and tell them which spot had the offending RV/camper. They have a key to most if not all of them so they can move them in and out for you. My hope is they actually do go out and close the vents and/or notify the owners.

This is one of my biggest nightmares, coming to the storage lot and finding I left a window or vent open and have a lot of water damage.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #2

Most of the high end vents have rain sensors that close them when they sense moisture. Maybe that is what you see but then, maybe not.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I would not leave a vent open ever without some protection. I bet the owner opened as the RV was hot and they just forgot to close them. Maxair or other covers are a good investment to leave a vent cracked open.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Most of the high end vents have rain sensors that close them when they sense moisture. Maybe that is what you see but then, maybe not.
Very true, I even tested ours out by placing a drop of water on the sensor. But when I turn the battery switch to "Off", as I normally do when in storage, my MaxxAir vents quit working!

When we were RV shopping my wife and I walked in to a new, one model year old, Jayco "C" that had the bathroom vent wide open. The shower / bath tub was full of slimy water and the floor, cabinets, and walls were delaminating... The sales person said it wasn't an issue and that it would be taken care of during dealer prep. We didn't bother to look at any more units at that dealer...
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Very true, I even tested ours out by placing a drop of water on the sensor. But when I turn the battery switch to "Off", as I normally do when in storage, my MaxxAir vents quit working!

When we were RV shopping my wife and I walked in to a new, one model year old, Jayco "C" that had the bathroom vent wide open. The shower / bath tub was full of slimy water and the floor, cabinets, and walls were delaminating... The sales person said it wasn't an issue and that it would be taken care of during dealer prep. We didn't bother to look at any more units at that dealer...
Salesmen only lie when they move their lips.........
Old 10-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #6

venting

Remember the quality of the Hang corp vents. Lets just say they love uv rays, they just soak it up until they are full and become brittle. Get a vent cover on all of you vents yesterday.....

No, we do no store with a vent open, but do store with peppermint oil. We are fortunate that we stay under power (heat pump) 24/7/365 less the tires are a rollen....

I take exception to the salesman comment. Had one lie last week by just pointing to a piece of paper. Looked at a duramax 3500 and asked if they all are equipped with a 6k front axle. He pointed generally to a line where 6k was listed and nodded his head up and down. I took that as an affirmative, later I talked to another dealer where actual work trucks are the main stay and was told no, but is available with the snow plow package (I live below I 20 &#128513.
L'IL Foot" 2014 Sunseeker 2300
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:17 PM   #7
Sunseeker 2400MBW

So salesmen lie when they move their lips AND their fingers to point?!??!? 😂 I wish I had some PC/ sensitivity angst about this but I can't generate any, so far.....
Old 10-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
I store my RV at the lot where I bought it and there are many, many other RVs and campers there too. About once a season I notice a camper with vents standing wide open. If it rained while they were open it would cause lots of damage.

Just this past Monday I was at the RV lot on top of my RV and noticed the class A next to me had 2 of its 3 vents nearly fully opened. I don't know how long it had been that way but we are in a drought and haven't had rain in many weeks.

When I see this, I stop at the service desk and tell them which spot had the offending RV/camper. They have a key to most if not all of them so they can move them in and out for you. My hope is they actually do go out and close the vents and/or notify the owners.

This is one of my biggest nightmares, coming to the storage lot and finding I left a window or vent open and have a lot of water damage.
I keep all my roof vents open to insure good air circulation and prevent mildew. But then I have Maxair vent covers over each vent.
papakilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:12 PM   #9

opeen vents

My neighbor hasn't used his RV all summer. He noticed bees around the refrigerator vent. Recently upon inspection, he found a basketball size nest inside. Now he covers the openings.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #10

I can agree with another post, with every RV we've ever purchased the first thing I buy are vent covers! They cost way less than 20 years ago and in my opinion are well worth the effort to install and be able to leave vents open and know water isn't getting in and hot air getting out. I've seen many RV's going down the road with the really cheap stock vent covers flapping in the wind.
Vent covers should be included as stock on all vents not just the powered vents in my opinion. You can still see $400,000.00 motorhomes with just the crank up stock vent covers.
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
My neighbor hasn't used his RV all summer. He noticed bees around the refrigerator vent. Recently upon inspection, he found a basketball size nest inside. Now he covers the openings.
Most likely yellowjackets, not bees. Big difference. Jackets are very aggressive and love to stitch you. Bee's don't.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:19 PM   #12
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post

I have seen those metal screen covers for refrigerator and propane vents at camping world but I read somewhere in our paper work, your warranty is voided if you cover vents. I'm covering them anyway.

It seems those roof vent covers should be there when you buy your RV. Seriously, they aren't that expensive and could potentially prevent SO much damage.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #13

I think that means blocking them off not screening them.....
Old 10-28-2016, 02:53 PM   #14

Wrong!!

Where does all this misinformation come from??
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent