Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #1

Extended warranty on our new Forester

We will be picking up our new Forester on Thursday afternoon. Since FR does not offer the second year warranty for motor homes I am wondering what all of you have done. For my previous TT, I purchased the Good Sam policy but thankfully never had to use it. Is it worth the expense? What other options are there? Can you give me an estimate on what you paid?
I figure if I go with Good Sam and if I haven't used it after a few years I can always cancel it and get the prorated refund? You thought would be appreciated.
Gilm2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #2

I never thought it was worth it but I do all my own repairs and maintenance. If you use a shop to do everything it may be appropriate for you. The chassis already has an extended warranty by Ford.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #3

Did you buy from a local dealer who offers full service? If so do they offer an extended warranty plan that they also will service your new Forester under?
naysmitj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #4

Bought thru woholesale warranties. Check them out before buying dealers option. Lots of articles on the net about warranties. Main thing you want to know what is NOT covered
lmouhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #5

FYI frig., water heater, stove, furnace, water pump, power converter, power inverter, batteries, frame, tires, axles, roof, floor, etc. are not warrantied thru Forest River. They are warrantied by the manufacture which is two to 25 years (floor in our fifth wheel is 25). So not much left to warranty by paying extra. Just my opinion.
drc343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #6

Thanks everyone.
ATV'er, I have some skills to do my own repairs but I don't come close to those of some you on the forum. I will need to do some soul searching!
Nasmitj, I am buying locally from a Camping World only 20 miles from home. If they offer a "local" warranty, what happens if I am on the road?
Imouhopt, I will do some research on the Internet before Thursday. Thank you, I have read where others have used wholesale warranties.
Drc343, I did look at the component list on the FR site. All have the registration forms and I saw where some offer the ability to extend their 1-2 year warranties.
All of your information has been very helpful, I appreciate your time. We are very excited and nervous at the same time over this purchase. We have just recently retired and are excited about enjoying the motor home we have wanted for many years. Thanks again.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #7

When you price out these things a 2 year warranty is over before you know it and if you have to come out of pocket your warranty will more than pay for these repairs after manufacture warranty is up. Wholesale warranty gave me what I was looking for at half the cost of what my dealer wanted for less coverage. Do your research.

Scizzorman
Old 11-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #8

I agree, but am wondering if it is worth being double covered for the first 1-2 years? If FR warranties the rig for year #1 and the component people warranty it for 1-2. Years, would I be better off to wait until year 2 or 3 to purchase the ESP?
Old 11-18-2014, 11:12 PM   #9

I opted out of additional coverage when I realized that NO ONE actually covers the structure of the coach or the roof or the side delaminating etc. ...all that is covered is what is inside....not the stuff that actually goes through the hurricane and the earthquakes going down the road. I figured I could handle repairs on the other stuff more cheaply than the warranties and Ford covered all the chassis stuff for 3 yearss so I have a ways to go on that.
Tough decision to make...good luck with yours.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #10

I did a lot of reading today and received quotes and phone calls from both Good Sam and Wholesale Warranties. Coverage by both seems to be very similar but rates are quite a ways apart, with Wholesale being more.
I am most likely going to wait for at least 10 - 11 months before deciding, relying on both the FR and component warranties for that period. The rates do not go up that much by buying the ESP on a 1 year old trailer. My last question would be, if I have a problem that falls under the warranty am I required to use a FR dealer for the repairs?
Is there anyone who has a contact at FR that can answer that question or where can I find a list FR dealers?
Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #11

I waited 11-months then went with Wholesale Warranties! I looked into others but found they had many customers complaining about their lack of paying claims and used the term " pre-existing condition " (even on new coaches due to manufacture defect outside the 12-month warranty). Wholesale Warranty even threw in a 2nd year of Coach-Net Premium to boot and my policy was under $2500.00. The full body slide and refrigerator is what worries me because if something goes wrong it can cost a bunch to fix them.

Frank
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #12

Thanks Ourflat, I am leaning the same way as you. Right now my plan is to wait until I hit the 10-11 month point and probably pull the trigger. Thanks again.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
I waited 11-months then went with Wholesale Warranties! I looked into others but found they had many customers complaining about their lack of paying claims and used the term " pre-existing condition " (even on new coaches due to manufacture defect outside the 12-month warranty). Wholesale Warranty even threw in a 2nd year of Coach-Net Premium to boot and my policy was under $2500.00. The full body slide and refrigerator is what worries me because if something goes wrong it can cost a bunch to fix them.

Frank
Frank,
Is that $2500 per year? Which MH do you have?
West Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #14

No $2500 for 4 year most likely

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #15

Extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilm2113 View Post
We will be picking up our new Forester on Thursday afternoon. Since FR does not offer the second year warranty for motor homes I am wondering what all of you have done. For my previous TT, I purchased the Good Sam policy but thankfully never had to use it. Is it worth the expense? What other options are there? Can you give me an estimate on what you paid?
I figure if I go with Good Sam and if I haven't used it after a few years I can always cancel it and get the prorated refund? You thought would be appreciated.
Expect my Forester towards the end of the month. Looked into some of the extended warrantys and somewhat sceptical. Chevy gives 5/50 and FR gives 1yr. My partner and myself opened up a maintenace checking account this morning with $200, and the first of every month we'll deposit $200 and if we get by 2yrs with no problems we should be in good shape, just imajin 4 years without any major problems, just saying.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #16

I paid $2500.00 USD for a policy that covers me for 7-years on my 2013 3051S Forester.

Frank
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
Old 12-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
I paid $2500.00 USD for a policy that covers me for 7-years on my 2013 3051S Forester.

Frank
Who did you get it from? Thanks!
West Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #18

Wholesale Warranties out of California. You get the "Best Price" if you pay upfront on the warranty.

Frank

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39

Tags
forester, warranty