Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #1

Facing the right direction

Hello,
We are long time travel trailer campers and are ready to upgrade to a class C. We're pretty set on the Forester 3011DS but one of my concerns (not just with this model but any class C or A) is one of my teenage daughters and myself tend to get motion sickness pretty easy. Can anyone tell me how riding facing the side of the vehicle, for instance siting on the sofa or at the table, is in the way of tummy trouble? Luckily, my husband and other daughter have pretty strong stomaches so most of the time I can drive and she can sit in the passenger's seat but I'm afraid he may want to take over the reins now and then.
kdiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Commercial Member

There is one seat in the dinette that faces forward.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #3

Interesting you brought this up. We have two kids. The older one has had some motion sickness issues before (curvy, hilly roads in a car). The younger one not so much. In our Sunseeker this summer the younger one complained of motion sickness. We were late for lunch so it could have been that too. He was on the couch facing sideways. He moved to the dinette facing forward. We also gave him some crackers. He got better. Now both kids tend to ride in the dinette facing forward.

We are doing a spring break trip to Disney (about 14 hrs each way). Not sure if a sister and brother can both sit next to each other in the dinette the whole way but wouldn't be surprised they start that way.

We have a Sunseeker 3100. It has two forward facing seats in the dinette. The dinette seating configuration was not even a consideration when we bought the unit. However, we are really happy we lucked into it bring configured in a good way.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

I would have to say the class c has the better ride, less top heavy feel etc, which may be more beneficial to the motion sickness. My son rides in a car seat buckled in the dinnette seat, fwd facing. This requires the table to be down, so my daughter has to ride on the sofa. She buckles up, but most of the time loosens the belt enough where she can ride fwd facing, feet up on the sofa. She's hasn't complained so far. I guess I need to ride back there, as I was always the one to get car sick when I was that age.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #5

Thanks Paul and John for your input. So much to consider!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #6

I have to give my son Dramamine on long trips...totally eradicates the motion sickness
Cyn61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #7

Both the Sunseeker 3100 and Forester 3011 have chairs with seat belts behind the cab passenger seat that swivel to face forward when traveling. I swivel ours to face forward when I'm driving because that allows a view through the window beside it, which helps a little with the blind spot in that area.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Both the Sunseeker 3100 and Forester 3011 have chairs with seat belts behind the cab passenger seat that swivel to face forward when traveling. I swivel ours to face forward when I'm driving because that allows a view through the window beside it, which helps a little with the blind spot in that area.
On our 2013 3100 the chair is stationary. I believe when we were looking used, I recall seeing an older 3100 where the chair moved along a track & could face forward. That isn't the case though at least with ours.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
Commercial Member

The Forester version of the 3100 is the 3101 (3011 is the double slide that has no barrel chair behind the passenger seat)

Paulmlac: If that was a factory barrell chair, it should swivel. Have you found BOTH levers? One slides the chair back and the other lets it pivot.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #10

BClemens - do you know if it's an option to replace the sofa in the 3011 with 2 barrel chairs?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
Commercial Member

There is not. No framing in the floor for that.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

Paulmlac: If that was a factory barrell chair, it should swivel. Have you found BOTH levers? One slides the chair back and the other lets it pivot.
It is a factory barrell chair (it's on a Sunseeker, perhaps the movement is only on the Forester models). I remember looking underneath originally & saw it was on a plate bolted to the floor (surprised as I recall seeing a used one where it moved). I didn't see any levers. I will look again though & report back.