Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2021, 06:36 PM   #1

Fake chrome disintegrating.

Anyone have this happen to their tail lights?
This motorhome might have spent a couple months in the sun at the most before we bought it new in Sept. 2019. It's been either in covered storage or inside since we've had it. It's been inside for the past year.
The only sun it sees is when it's on the road.
Nothing is dripping on it.
When I saw what looked like a little staining on it, I cleaned it with a spray wax cleaner. Just rubbing it made the fake chrome come off. The right one shows signs of it starting to peel on top, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1829.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	246951  
Old 01-31-2021, 09:37 AM   #2

It is not uncommon to have chrome plating flake off plastic parts. Unlike your old Chevy steel bumper plastic does not conduct electricity well so conventional electrolysis doesn’t work without some special prep. If the prep is not done correctly the results can’t last.

Your best bet is to look at what eTrailer or another supplier has to offer in way of replacement light assemblies. You may find a direct replacement or another style you like even better. They are not difficult to change.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:03 PM   #3

I agree it's really common with dirt cheap stuff, but I still have a 99 GMC with fake chrome on a plastic grill that still looks like new, and that truck has been outside and in the sun it's whole life. Most of that time was in LA smog too.