Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #1

Feature Questions

Hello everyone,
A couple of questions regarding features of my Forester 3011DS listed on the brochure which I'm either not sure how to use and /or what they are.
1st) Battery Disconnect - Does this completely isolate the battery from the rest of the coach including charging?
2nd) Emergency Start - I assume this involves using the house batteries to start the engine? How does it work?
3rd) Generator Auto Transfer Switch - When/how would one use this? I was told by the person who reviewed our RV with us at purchase (whom you can tell from these questions did a rather poor job) that running the generator while plugged into shore power would cause damage and never do it!

Thanks everyone!
rbusch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Site Team

Hopefully someone will see your post and drop in that can offer feedback. Sorry but I don't have any experience with MHs so I'm not able to assist. If need be try contacting the service department and speaking to someone with more knowledge that can provide answers.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #3

Question one is a yep.
Question 2 yes uses house battery and switch should be near starting battery.
3 sales person is a quack. Auto transfer switch is automatic and protects against using shore power and generator.

Life is a highway!!!!!
jimdd810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #4

Question 1, No. The disconnect switch does not disconnect the house batteries from everything. Things like the awning and slides are still connected. I believe the charging converter still is connected but I would have to check my electrical diagrams to verify all the things that remain in service when the switch is off.

Question 2, The emergency start switch is located under the drivers seat and you have to hold it in the "on" position while turning the key to tie the coach and chassis batteries together to start the chassis engine when the chassis battery is dead. I do not think it can be used to tie the batteries together to start the generator if the coach batteries are low. You need to just start the chassis engine and the 120 amp alternator on the engine will be enough boost to get the generator started. I know this from experience of running the coach batteries down too low once!

Question 3, The generator auto transfer switch operates automatically. If you start the generator, it will close in after a time delay to power up the coach if shore power is not connected. Also I think it will open up to isolate and protect the generator if you plug into shore power when the generator is running. Again I would need to check my electrical diagrams.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
Commercial Member

1. Yes, some things are still connected. As for the charging line. If it came off the line Jan 2014 or prior, charge line was disconnected also. After that, we work with Progressive Dynamics and set it up so the charge line was connected directly to the batteries instead of going through the disconnect.
2. Emergency start works both ways. It just connects the batteries together. I have done that when the house batteries were dead so that I could retract the leveling jacks by using the chassis battery.
3. correct

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for the valuable input!
rbusch1 is offline   Reply With Quote