Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #1

Fiberglass Roof Bubble

I've noted along the edge of my fiberglass roof there are a number of spots where the non-skid fiberglass is not sticking to the roof. It has bubbled and has a little play. Is this something that I should worry about or common with the fiberglass roofs?
Sun.ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #2

Personally, I would be very concerned. Bubbles usually mean that water has worked its way under the fiberglass and is causing delamination. Is your unit under warranty?
eshenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #3

Not sure what the answer is here. We have been dealing with roof issues on our new unit, but I can also add that our coach has the same "bubbled" look along the length of the coach, near where the metal trim fastens the filon roof in place. This may be normal and just the way it's installed. I found it off as well since you can push down on it and it springs back up.

Ours had another issue, and that was little micro cracks along that bubbled area. For that reason, my dealer is trying to arrange a roof replacement, or an aftermarket coating. Not sure if these cracks are related to the "bubbled" area, or completely separate, so keep an eye out for the little cracks to be safe. Our dealer advised us to not use the unit until fixed since water intrusion could be happening.
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

Mines the same way along a lot of the roof rail edges. About 2" of the roof, measured from the trim has a bit of play. I don't like it, but it isn't cracked and no way it's leaking with all the additional work I've done on the roof. I check it every trip and then some. Been like that since day 1.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #5

Well there you have it.. It must be a design of the roof. Maybe it doesn't get glued there to handle flex? Just a guess.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Plain Old Member

Had same type spots on previous mh, which was just spots insufficiently glued down. No real problems with that one either. Just aggravating to look at, and scary to mash on. You'll see that same subject on all roofs, rubber, tpo, fiberglass etc etc. Sometimes they change with the temps.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #7

I guess I'm lucky that my roof is tight with no bubbles or cracks. I watched them install a roof at the factory and it is a process that could easily get messed up to leave a bubble or air space under the side. I wonder if those having issues with bubbles or cracks are units that were built in the winter and the fiber glass was cold. The way they have to bend it 90 degrees to go around the corner to where it is fastened could be a problem in cold temps. It looked hard enough to do when I was there on a hot day. You don't see how tight a bend is in the roof because there is a corner trim piece installed over most of it.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #8

Hmm. Mine was built in Feb.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #9

Mine was in April.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gcampers View Post
Hmm. Mine was built in Feb.
Might be the cause for the cracking. I know there are low temperature limits for the resin to setup properly for full strength not to mention working (bending) it during installation at low temps. I know the factory is not air conditioned but it must be heated to some degree.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #11

My 2012 2300 was built in Sept 2011 and has no sign of cracking or bubbles.
tlf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.wiseman View Post
I've noted along the edge of my fiberglass roof there are a number of spots where the non-skid fiberglass is not sticking to the roof. It has bubbled and has a little play. Is this something that I should worry about or common with the fiberglass roofs?

If it's not cracked or showing signs of distress it should be okay. I would walk on that area or flex it un-necessarily. It is installed by one person pushing down and horizontally on the roof fiber glass panel edge and a second person hitting the now vertical edge with a screw gun. If the first person doesn't keep the bend tight with the top of the roof structure it would be easy to get a bubbled area.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
Plain Old Member

ATVer's theory sounds spot on. I didn't get to see the roof being put on while I was there, but there was snow on the ground and it wasn't really cold inside. I did see a bunch of roofs ready to be installed, and they had that overlap that you referred to that is wrapped over the edge and secured. I can definitely see how that stress could cause the roof to lift / bubble a little at the edge. This is what mine's done in a few spots on the edge. Mine was built in the winter months.

Does the roof in fact overlap the side wall? I thought they told me it did. Wish I could've seen that part.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
ATVer's theory sounds spot on. I didn't get to see the roof being put on while I was there, but there was snow on the ground and it wasn't really cold inside. I did see a bunch of roofs ready to be installed, and they had that overlap that you referred to that is wrapped over the edge and secured. I can definitely see how that stress could cause the roof to lift / bubble a little at the edge. This is what mine's done in a few spots on the edge. Mine was built in the winter months.

Does the roof in fact overlap the side wall? I thought they told me it did. Wish I could've seen that part.

Yes from what I recall. I wish I had felt the edges of the roofs on the floor to see how flexible they are.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #15

When in sheet form not attached to a backer and at room temperature it's very pliable and able to bend. It's the same material used on popup roofs and those typical have a front and rear bend at the roof to side slope.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #16

Are you sure this is the same material used on hard top campers? That stuff is pretty durable, and would certainly give me more confidence when walking on it.