Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #1

Filling Freshwater Tank?

I have a 2003 Sunseeker 2890 that is working great, but there is one mystery I can't figure out. How to I get water into the fresh water tank? I have spent a lot of time looking under the bed and trying to trace where the hoses go...I've found the drain valve, but still haven't figured out how to get water in short of running a hose to fill the tank from the cap on the top of the tank. Surely I'm missing something here.

I have asked the dealer where I purchased it twice and they keep saying that hooking up the city water should automatically fill the freshwater tank...I've had the city water hooked up several times, but I haven't seen a drop go into the tank. What am I missing here?

Thanks for any help...
WaldoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #2

Hope you find it, but if not, I remember a friend who bought a new rv a few years ago, saying they FORGOT TO INSTALL the low drain on their unit, so anything is possible?
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #3

If you can locate the tank itself, usually by removing a side wall in a cabinet, or similar to that, you can see where the fill hoses go, and then look on the outside to find the cap. And NO, the tank won't fill when you hook up to a pressurized source, such as a campground faucet.This is a totally different location. My fresh water holding tank is under the kitchen sink area, and in order to open the valve to drain my tank, I have to remove a side wall piece of paneling, and then reach in and pull open the valve. There is a T there going into the side of the tank close to the tank, and directly above that are the fill hoses that run to the outside of the camper- one is a fill cap, and one is an air vent. Hope this helps you! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:14 AM   #4

Thanks for the ideas...I'm going over to the RV tomorrow and I'll see if I can get any further.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:48 AM   #5

Waldodad,

I know nothing about your rig, but I have seen posts on here that some units don't have a fill cap where you can pour in water from a hose or bucket. They only have a fitting to which you connect a hose to fill the tank, similar to the city water connection. I have seen some posts of some pretty confused people.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #6

I propped up the bed and spent some time staring at the hoses going to the freshwater tank yesterday. My current theory is that the hose connection to the left of the city water connection is really the freshwater fill and not the blackwater flush that the dealer told us during our walkthrough. Unfortunately I don't have a hose to try it at the storage lot where the RV is parked, so it will have to wait until the next time we head out. Thanks for all the suggestions and I hope that the mystery is solved. If not I'll be back...

Take care,

Mark C.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #7

Your dealer is wrong and it just underscores the problem of sales people and dealers that sell RVs and know nothing about them. There isn't an RV made that I know of that putting a hose to the city water inlet will "automatically fill the fresh water tank" Otherwise you would constantly have an overflowing tank from the tank vent. Some RVs will have a two way valve in which you can choose to divert water to the fresh tank to fill it then turn it back to the city water mode but I doubt this is what you have. My money is on the other inlet you have which should be the fresh water tank fill.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #8

I have a Forest River Sunseeker 3100SS and my water connections are located on the drivers side at the rear of the unit. I have enclosed a picture. One inlet is for the city water hookup and another inlet is for filling up the fresh water tank.

I have enclosed a picture that shows the connections. I don't have a picture that shows it close-up.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterConnection3100.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	2564  
MikeInColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #9

Dealer is smokin something, if your tank filled everytime you hooked to city water, ditto to NWjeeper, but it also defeats the purpose of driving with empty fresh water tanks to keep your weight down, if it filled everytime, then you would always be driving with 250-300 uneeded weight
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #10

Went camping over Memorial day and came too close to running out of water. I have been debating on a method to get water into my fresh water tank without cutting a hole in the tank.

Currently, the only way to get water in is to hook a hose up to the exterior of the RV and fill using the water pressure from the spigot through the hose. There is no gravity fill pipe and the fresh water connection is lower than the fresh water tank.

A buddy of mine was looking at the tank (which is under our bed in the rear of the RV). He came up with a genius way of getting water in the tank with little effort.

He noticed that at the top of the tank (on the side), there is an "overflow" hose. This hose prevents the tank from being filled too high and water simply drains out this hose. This hose also serves as an exhaust for the air that comes out of the tank when filling. The best part is that this hose is connected using a simple hose clamp and that the opening is about 1".

All I have to do is disconnect the hose clamp and remove the hose, thread a cut garden hose that is attached to a funnel and pour water into the funnel. I'll grant you it's not the simplest method (as there is some effort required taking the hose clamp off) but it will work without having to modify my tank.
MikeInColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
Happy to Be Camping

Location: We live in Rhode Island, but our hearts are in New Hampshire
I have a 3120 and my tank fill is in the back of the unit. It is a gravity feed (with a screw-on cap) that empties into the top of the tank through a 1" hose. On the outside "port", there is also the vent tube from the tank. You can buy one of these fill ports anywhere and, if you're brave enough, cut a hole and install it yourself. I had to do that with my last rv. Just keep the hose fairly straight. The original one had a huge bend in it and didn't allow the tank to fill easily.I only found this out because I had to repair the screw hole they put in it that I discovered when I filled for the first time. It is a nice feature when you're boondocking and only have a water jug to fill from.
Shawomet3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #12

Just to close out the thread...we went out over the weekend and the freshwater fill is indeed the hose inlet to the left of the city water inlet. It has a warning message about only using potable water, but not an idiot proof label like "Freshwater Tank Is Here"...

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help on this and I think we are in good shape now,

Mark C.

Tags
sunseeker le