Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2018, 08:03 AM   #1

Filling propane for winter

Howdy,

This will be my first winter as an owner so I have a question about winterizing. My propane tank is currently empty. Are there advantages/disadvantages to filling tank for having propane tank empty or filled during winter? Thanks.
Ridpath88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #2

I keep mine wherever they were on my last trip. Normally at lease one full tank and a partial plus an extra 30 lb I have. There are no disadvantages unless you have a leak somewhere. You can turn the valves off in case you have a slow leak and take pressure off the hoses. Advantages are if you need to use it it's ready.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto, the tanks stay at whatever they're at. However, I usually never have an empty tank for longer than it takes me to get home from the trip that emptied it and run it to the local hardware to get it filled. It then gets put back filled and read to go for the auto change over to switch back when the tank I'm currently running runs out. Then the process repeats.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:27 PM   #4

I didn’t know they had 2 tanks on Sunseeker motorhomes.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #5

I have always kept a good supply in mine, not only so it’s ready for the next trip but also if we get an extended power outage or utility problem we have a place to cook and stay warm.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubelle View Post
I didn’t know they had 2 tanks on Sunseeker motorhomes.
Did someone mention having two tanks on a Sunseeker?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Did someone mention having two tanks on a Sunseeker?
This thread is in the Sunseeker forums, so the OP most likely has such....thus it's being pointed out that advice concerning switching between two cylinders may not be applicable in this situation. It's all good.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
This thread is in the Sunseeker forums, so the OP most likely has such....thus it's being pointed out that advice concerning switching between two cylinders may not be applicable in this situation. It's all good.

Thanks, you nailed it [emoji847]
Old 09-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #9

Propane tank while wintering

The people who fill my propane tank are a mile away. I always fill it after a trip like Igave, in case of emergencies. Either way it doesn't hurt, partial or full.
johnshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #10

I have a Sunseeker and before I put the unit away for the winter I fill the propane and the gas tank. My thought being if the tanks are full there's less chance of condensation building up over the winter.
I also remove the 2 coach deep cycle batteries and store them in the basement. Once a month I put them on a tickle charge just to keep them at full power.
As for the chassis battery I connect it to a solar panel I install in the front window and leave it connected all winter.

Once a month I go to the storage lot, check for any sign of rodents and run the engine for 3-4 minutes.

so far this has worked very well the last 3 winters
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:42 PM   #11

For propane, it makes no difference how much propane is in the tank, empty, full, partial for storage as long as the "service valve" is closed. That valve that must be turned for propane gas to flow from the tank to the propane pressure regulator. When the tank is closed, no water vapor will get inside, unlike a gasoline tank that is not sealed. Propane will not freeze like water, so no worries about breaking that steel ASME propane tank. As a long time camper and now Sunseeker owner.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:29 PM   #12
WFD

I normally fill mine in the fall prior to storage just to have one less thing to do in spring when taking it out of storage and getting it ready for the season.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:21 AM   #13

We keep ours filled. Our RV barn is not enclosed so if the weather gets really cold, we have the thermostat set to come on to warm up. It is next door so easy to monitor. Sometimes, it is nice to just go out there and "pretend" we are camping. If the propane in the house needs filling, we have them Top off the MH as well.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek6669 View Post
Once a month I go to the storage lot, check for any sign of rodents and run the engine for 3-4 minutes.

This subject is going to be controversial as opinions will vary and everyone thinks their way is the best/only way to handle it but.....
IMO it's best to either let the engine run until it reaches operating temp or don't run it at all. Donno where you store but if it's cold and you start it - there will be condensation in the engine and in the exhaust that probably won't be eliminated by a short engine run.
My 2 ¢
Happy Trails!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridpath88 View Post
Howdy,

This will be my first winter as an owner so I have a question about winterizing. My propane tank is currently empty. Are there advantages/disadvantages to filling tank for having propane tank empty or filled during winter? Thanks.
Not sure where your unit is but,,,
what if you needed emergency Heat ???

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #16

Exactly! Our propane runs the furnace PLUS THE GENSET which I run every month for maintenance here in OH. Depends where you live and how critical your wx is, plus how your accessories inside are configured.
Montana or Ohio...we have out needs lol!
And...GO BUCKS!
Old 09-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelbum1 View Post
Exactly! Our propane runs the furnace PLUS THE GENSET which I run every month for maintenance here in OH. Depends where you live and how critical your wx is, plus how your accessories inside are configured.
Montana or Ohio...we have out needs lol!
And...GO BUCKS!
GO BLUE !!!
Old 09-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek6669 View Post
I have a Sunseeker and before I put the unit away for the winter I fill the propane and the gas tank. My thought being if the tanks are full there's less chance of condensation building up over the winter.
I also remove the 2 coach deep cycle batteries and store them in the basement. Once a month I put them on a tickle charge just to keep them at full power.
As for the chassis battery I connect it to a solar panel I install in the front window and leave it connected all winter.

so far this has worked very well the last 3 winters
I read this post and thought somoeone was watching me . I refill gas and propane after every tirp before i put the rv in the storage lot. This way next time out its ready to go just food, water, dog kids and oh yeah the wife. The only other thing I do is I remove the chassis battery but before i do that I fog the motor and dont start it till the next season. I also dump a bottle of gas stabalizer into the tank for the sitting fuel. The last thing i do is i cover it although i check it every few weeks for rodents and any possible leaks or problems.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
I read this post and thought somoeone was watching me . I refill gas and propane after every tirp before i put the rv in the storage lot. This way next time out its ready to go just food, water, dog kids and oh yeah the wife. The only other thing I do is I remove the chassis battery but before i do that I fog the motor and dont start it till the next season. I also dump a bottle of gas stabalizer into the tank for the sitting fuel. The last thing i do is i cover it although i check it every few weeks for rodents and any possible leaks or problems.
Do you have a Generator ???
Do you exercise it ???
Old 09-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #20

For the genny I also and make sure to run it long enough to get the gas with the stabalizer in the float bowl and then for it till it stalls. 2 years now starts right up next season and still runs strong but i run it hard at startup and let it run for 30 mins or so.

Tags
propane, winter