RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
Finally had to do it - Eternabond

My 2013 3011DS just starting showing signs of caulk failure at the cabover. I didn't take any before pics because it looked like everyone else's that has posted about leaks. Fortunately, I have been closely monitoring mine and was able to do this before suffering any water intrusion. A couple minor twists, a few air bubbles, but overall it turned out pretty good. I definitely got better at it the more I did. I will sleep better now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0520.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	112624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0515.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	112625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	112626   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0517.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	112627   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0519.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	112628  

EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Wandering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 747
Looks good. All these leaks post have me paranoid. Think I will do the same soon.


Forester 2451s
__________________
Forester 2451s
Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
wvufan1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 154
Nice job..best wishes.
wvufan1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:02 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
...and one last thing - how ridiculous is this lens issue?!?!

I can't believe the entire world is out of the Glo Brite 122Y lens and there is nothing to replace it with. Why has some manufacturer not picked up on the demand for this stupid lens as it was used on Winnebago's and Forest River products? For literally a couple bucks manufacturing and they could sell them for a huge markup.

I would pay $40 for one of these stupid lenses right now. I wish I would have caught a thread earlier and switched them to LED and silicone them on permanently before one fell off.

Try to find some sort of replacement that fits the molded cap in the shape opf these lights...no dice. Yes, I could switch to the round ones, but my cap is painted around these lights so there's no good option. How frustrating!

The others are ready to just fall off as well, not sure what happens over time there but if you have the older oval lights, do yourself a favor and switch the bulbs to LED and then silicone the lenses on there now before you lose one.
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:40 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Texas
Posts: 526
One of mine fell off and so I replaced the two outermost amber lenses with red lenses. It was easy to find the red ones. I siliconed all of the lenses on at that time.

Since only one of mine was lost and I replaced two that means I still have one amber lens. It's not for sale.

Though if I was smart I'd remove all of these lights and replace them, then sell the remaining 5 Amber lenses for some significant profit.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
TOAD: 2016 Lincoln MKX
Creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
I still have one amber lens. It's not for sale.
I'll give you $60 for that lens! ....or name your price
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
Member
 
skylilymd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 63
Finally had to do it - Eternabond

I have two - but just call Blake sales 7739273350 - Google it he was a glo brite dealer and has a bunch - nice job on the roof btw
skylilymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylilymd View Post
I have two - but just call Blake sales 7739273350 - Google it he was a glo brite dealer and has a bunch - nice job on the roof btw
Checked there already...only red left, but thanks anyway.
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:10 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 79
Nice job. I have 4 rolls on order and plan to do both my motorhome and park model next week. Did you feel the need to use Dicor lap sealant around the tape (it doesn't look like you did in your photos)? I wasn't planning on using it, but some did in the videos I've been watching.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:13 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
Thanks, I think it would add a finishing touch to caulk around it but do not think it's necessary. Once you roller the tape down hard you can see the grey sealant edging out a bit and that stuff simply does not come up if adhered correctly.
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:21 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
Once you're ready (and this goes for anybody doing this) feel free to pm me on this forum and we can have a quick phone call for some tips...especially the long straight runs to avoid twists and bubbles etc. Like I said, I definitely got better the more I did but I do have a couple tips (too hard to try to type them) that I think would help speed the skill increase.
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:04 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTremist View Post
My 2013 3011DS just starting showing signs of caulk failure at the cabover. I didn't take any before pics because it looked like everyone else's that has posted about leaks. Fortunately, I have been closely monitoring mine and was able to do this before suffering any water intrusion. A couple minor twists, a few air bubbles, but overall it turned out pretty good. I definitely got better at it the more I did. I will sleep better now.
VERY NICE !!!
Not sure where the lens talk came from ???
But I was wondering when you were going to be in SW Michigan,,,
So I could hire you to do our Sunseeker ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:31 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
banda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 314
What cleaner did you use for the prep work?
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
Simple Green for the clean and acetone for the prep. Not for hire ;-)
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastover, SC
Posts: 145
So I see the antenna on the ladder in the back of your unit ... I am assuming you are a HAM ... I would love to see how you have your radio set up in your unit.

73's
__________________
Alec
Eastover, SC

Prior Campers
1996 Coleman Sun Valley (1995 - 2002)
2017 Forester 3011 DS (2016 - Present)
SharpPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpPI View Post
So I see the antenna on the ladder in the back of your unit ... I am assuming you are a HAM ... I would love to see how you have your radio set up in your unit.

73's
That is a Wilson cellular band signal amplifier antenna run to the amp mounted inside behind the bedroom TV. It works really well to set my WiFi puck on the plastic pickup antenna inside when cell signal is poor.
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:37 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTremist View Post
I can't believe the entire world is out of the Glo Brite 122Y lens and there is nothing to replace it with. Why has some manufacturer not picked up on the demand for this stupid lens as it was used on Winnebago's and Forest River products? For literally a couple bucks manufacturing and they could sell them for a huge markup.

I would pay $40 for one of these stupid lenses right now. I wish I would have caught a thread earlier and switched them to LED and silicone them on permanently before one fell off.

Try to find some sort of replacement that fits the molded cap in the shape opf these lights...no dice. Yes, I could switch to the round ones, but my cap is painted around these lights so there's no good option. How frustrating!

The others are ready to just fall off as well, not sure what happens over time there but if you have the older oval lights, do yourself a favor and switch the bulbs to LED and then silicone the lenses on there now before you lose one.
I have some amber lenses. How many do you want? I changed my incandescent to the LED and had to change the LED again due to degradation from UV. The 2nd set of LED I had painted so it is now protected from UV. I bought my LED's from Benlo. I think they had 2 amber LED left.
Not convinced that the Glo-Brite won't ever fail again - I did look into a mod that uses the new bullet LED clearance light mounted on an oval aluminum plate. This mod would outfit the clearance light to a circular style and would look darn nice.

Back to topic on the lenses, just let me know how many you want.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:29 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
I have some amber lenses. How many do you want? I changed my incandescent to the LED and had to change the LED again due to degradation from UV. The 2nd set of LED I had painted so it is now protected from UV. I bought my LED's from Benlo. I think they had 2 amber LED left.
Not convinced that the Glo-Brite won't ever fail again - I did look into a mod that uses the new bullet LED clearance light mounted on an oval aluminum plate. This mod would outfit the clearance light to a circular style and would look darn nice.

Back to topic on the lenses, just let me know how many you want.

Bobby
Hey Bobby - Ideally I'd like 2 but 1 would be fine as well. How much and do you have a Paypal address or just PM me you info and I will send money. Thanks!!!
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 46
Another pic by request

Posting this pic by request from another member.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0554.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	115539  
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:10 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Frank & Eve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 289
EXTremist a couple of questions please...first...do you put this tape right over the existing caulk? The section at the cab area...did you put two strips of tape on that area? How many rolls does it take? Is this a one time project or must you check it once in a while? Sorry for the questions. My DH can not get on the roof so it's up to me to keep a check on the top. We have a 2012 3011ds. No problems so far but I'm up there a couple times a year making sure everything looks as it should. Tks
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eternabond

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 PM.