Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2021, 08:33 PM   #1
A Wanderer of Deserts

Firestone airbag valve

I often use my bike pump to add pressure to these air bags. They are so small it doesn't take many pumps to fill them up. But I have found that it's very difficult to attach the pump head because there is so little valve exposed with this installation. I tried putting on valve extenders but apparently they can't screw on far enough to open the valve. Has anybody encountered this and found an effective remedy?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211207_142919.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	266511  
Houndwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndwalker View Post
I often use my bike pump to add pressure to these air bags. They are so small it doesn't take many pumps to fill them up. But I have found that it's very difficult to attach the pump head because there is so little valve exposed with this installation. I tried putting on valve extenders but apparently they can't screw on far enough to open the valve. Has anybody encountered this and found an effective remedy?
There's a duplicate "nut" you can't see here on the opposite side of the wall you see. It's easily accessible if you crawl under the MH. Loosen that as far as you can and the valve will protrude plenty enough to put an extension, then tighten the visible nut. I only have one of these valves because of the compressor installation on the passenger side. The valve in the wet bay aft portion has an extension hose on it so it can be used for emergency inflation or deflation. I'll get a picture tomorrow and post.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:24 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Schrader Valves

I had that problem as well. There is probably a washer and nut on the back like I had. I removed the nut so the valve would extend further in. Then I put Alligator double seal valve caps on so the clip on air chuck would work.

Eventually I got tired of the leaks and bumps on my noggin from trying to reach the one in the sewer compartment so I moved the valves to the trim in front of the rear wheels.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
I had that problem as well. There is probably a washer and nut on the back like I had. I removed the nut so the valve would extend further in. Then I put Alligator double seal valve caps on so the clip on air chuck would work.

Eventually I got tired of the leaks and bumps on my noggin from trying to reach the one in the sewer compartment so I moved the valves to the trim in front of the rear wheels.
Move to the trim on the wheel wells. That is an awesome idea. Plenty of room in there and as you said...no more noggin wounds. I'd have to look but I think the lines from the valves to the bags would be long enough. If not, a quick trip to a NAPA store would work. I'd put the total time to complete that mod at about 15 minutes.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:39 AM   #5
Have Camera will Travel

I spent a good afternoon trying to get in those things to take air. I pulled them out and still couldn't get air into them. I ended up taking a dremel and cut off wheel, trimmed the end of the valve off to expose more of the internal stem.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndwalker View Post

I have a compressed air storage tank in the drivers side rear compartment of my 3010ds and have a standard air hose that reaches both sides. First thing I check is the air pressure and if it needs some I open the valve on my air tank and just give it slight bursts to get to the pressure Iím looking for. Easy peesy just use you head and pay attention!
JWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 01:58 AM   #7
Have Camera will Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWallet View Post
I have a compressed air storage tank in the drivers side rear compartment of my 3010ds and have a standard air hose that reaches both sides. First thing I check is the air pressure and if it needs some I open the valve on my air tank and just give it slight bursts to get to the pressure Iím looking for. Easy peesy just use you head and pay attention!
There is an issue with the valve on some units. As I said I took the valves out completely and still couldn't get air into them, I tried two different air fill fixtures.

Tags
valve