RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2016, 08:09 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
ilmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 835
First Long Trip - Sunseeker 2250SLE

Really happy with the Sunseeker. Just did a 1500 mile trip and camped for 5 days. Had no issues or problems at all. The trip included heavy rains during both camping and driving, plus a windy trip yesterday. No leaks!

Love the Ford chassis; got 10 mpg on average for the trip, rarely if ever on a flat road (hills and mountains up to over 2000 ft. ).

So, for now at least, all is well. It's an RV though so I also know things can change!
__________________
former 2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE owner - replaced by a Pleasure-Way Tofino

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Total Loss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 660
Nice.
__________________
"If you are going through hell..keep going"
W. Churchill
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 301
I'm very glad to hear the MPG report. I have been wanting to hear reports from Ford owners with the 6 speed trans.
__________________
2014 Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Delco Bobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Media, PA
Posts: 2,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Really happy with the Sunseeker. Just did a 1500 mile trip and camped for 5 days. Had no issues or problems at all. The trip included heavy rains during both camping and driving, plus a windy trip yesterday. No leaks!

Love the Ford chassis; got 10 mpg on average for the trip, rarely if ever on a flat road (hills and mountains up to over 2000 ft. ).

So, for now at least, all is well. It's an RV though so I also know things can change!
Right on.
__________________
2017 Dynamax REV 24RB
2018 Ford F-150

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
geeman53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 4,655
Glad for you . We just completed our first long trip of many to come-23 days !
__________________
2016 sunseeker 2250slec
1988 Jayco p.u.,Coleman Plantation p.u.,1989 Jayco class c, Coachman TT,1995 Little Eddie fthwheel,2007 Heartland Sundance 2500 lS fthwheel
geeman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Mid Michigan
Posts: 952
mpg

Getting 10 mpg with 2017 Freelander 30' with Ford V10 in Michigan (flat) on our fourth tank of gas now.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Mid Michigan
Posts: 952
How is the REV doing on gas? almost bought a 2017 REV 24tb but was not sure about towing anything at all.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 78
We averaged little over 11 MPG on our trip from San Marcos, Texas to Maine, Rhode Island and New Hampshire then it was off through Vermont and New York to take the TT back to where it was born so it could have a few adjustments made. Wonderful trip and the 5 Liter & 6 Spd Trans did a good job.

Next trip will be out to Big Bend National Park for a week-10 days.
__________________
John Spear
RMCS (SW) USN Retired
2012 Ford F-150
Rockwood 2503s
debandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Indian Lake, OH
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
I'm very glad to hear the MPG report. I have been wanting to hear reports from Ford owners with the 6 speed trans.
Have had our 2016 3010DS with the six speed since January and have driven it just about 7,000 miles, most of which with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler in tow. Worst MPG was 7.1 on a very windy day on the interstate. Best MPG was 8.3 mostly on two lane roads at 50-55 MPH.
Lazy Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,965
Wish we could get 10 !!!
Fully loaded 2500TS,,, average speed about 60 !!!
Very little Interstate driving !!!
We get between 8 & 9 !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:09 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Delco Bobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Media, PA
Posts: 2,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
How is the REV doing on gas? almost bought a 2017 REV 24tb but was not sure about towing anything at all.
I have been tracking my milage in all of my vehicles for many decades. I always fill the tank when I get gas allowing the pump to determine when to stop fueling.

The REV does not like high speed pumps. My first time adding gas at COSTCO the pump stopped and I thought I filled it but noticed as I was leaving that I only had 3/4 of a tank on the gauge.

I now turn the nozzle to the right or left and the gas seems to go down better. But I am never sure as to how full my tank is. I don't want to get to the point where the gas is running over the REV body. My point is that my milage data is not as accurate as I would like.

My range of mpg has been from 9.7 to 15. I live in a hilly area that makes the engine of the REV rev more going up hills. My best mpg was on recent trips to Southern Delaware which is mostly flat compared to my SE PA area. The higher numbers include some speeds in the 70's and some periods of stopping for red lights. My speed is limited by the vehicle I am driving and my fear of tickets.

I found with my Sunseeker that I was more comfortable staying around 65 mph on highways although it would go much faster. Above 65 the wind would affect the handling too much for my liking.

The REV is much better at higher speeds and does well in the 80's. And no added wind noise!

For comparison and driving in the same areas I usually got about 9.5 in my Sunseeker with a best of 10.5 and around 19 to 21 mpg in my Ford Escape AWD with the larger engine. All superior to my long gone 1962 Oldsmobile 98 convertible that offered 4 to 5 mpg in my usual driving and maybe 8 on unobstructed highways.

I suspect that I could easily get two or three more mpg if I was more conservative in my driving habits.
__________________
2017 Dynamax REV 24RB
2018 Ford F-150

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:33 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I have been tracking my milage in all of my vehicles for many decades. I always fill the tank when I get gas allowing the pump to determine when to stop fueling.

The REV does not like high speed pumps. My first time adding gas at COSTCO the pump stopped and I thought I filled it but noticed as I was leaving that I only had 3/4 of a tank on the gauge.

I now turn the nozzle to the right or left and the gas seems to go down better. But I am never sure as to how full my tank is. I don't want to get to the point where the gas is running over the REV body. My point is that my milage data is not as accurate as I would like.

My range of mpg has been from 9.7 to 15. I live in a hilly area that makes the engine of the REV rev more going up hills. My best mpg was on recent trips to Southern Delaware which is mostly flat compared to my SE PA area. The higher numbers include some speeds in the 70's and some periods of stopping for red lights. My speed is limited by the vehicle I am driving and my fear of tickets.

I found with my Sunseeker that I was more comfortable staying around 65 mph on highways although it would go much faster. Above 65 the wind would affect the handling too much for my liking.

The REV is much better at higher speeds and does well in the 80's. And no added wind noise!

For comparison and driving in the same areas I usually got about 9.5 in my Sunseeker with a best of 10.5 and around 19 to 21 mpg in my Ford Escape AWD with the larger engine. All superior to my long gone 1962 Oldsmobile 98 convertible that offered 4 to 5 mpg in my usual driving and maybe 8 on unobstructed highways.

I suspect that I could easily get two or three more mpg if I was more conservative in my driving habits.
There is no way to get a good MPG check by letting the pump turn off,,, every pump is different & every vehicle is different !!!
Did you really mean the REV is much better @ high speeds,,,
and does well in the 80s ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Delco Bobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Media, PA
Posts: 2,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
There is no way to get a good MPG check by letting the pump turn off,,, every pump is different & every vehicle is different !!!
Did you really mean the REV is much better @ high speeds,,,
and does well in the 80s ???
I agree on your pump statement however I am fairly consistent as to which pumps I use and over the course of time I expect to get fairly reliable mpg data. I don't want to fill to the top of the pipe and have gas spilling out. When fueling the REV the pump turns off long before it is full. I then carefully add more gas until paranoia stops me. BTW, the fueling issue is a Dodge Promaster issue and not one related to Dynamax.

Yes, the higher speeds do not affect the REV handling much. I don't set out to be driving an RV in the 80's but I occasionally find myself doing so while on decent highways with light traffic. I usually drive around 65 in most situations and lots of traffic is passing me.
__________________
2017 Dynamax REV 24RB
2018 Ford F-150

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:15 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I agree on your pump statement however I am fairly consistent as to which pumps I use and over the course of time I expect to get fairly reliable mpg data. I don't want to fill to the top of the pipe and have gas spilling out. When fueling the REV the pump turns off long before it is full. I then carefully add more gas until paranoia stops me. BTW, the fueling issue is a Dodge Promaster issue and not one related to Dynamax.

Yes, the higher speeds do not affect the REV handling much. I don't set out to be driving an RV in the 80's but I occasionally find myself doing so while on decent highways with light traffic. I usually drive around 65 in most situations and lots of traffic is passing me.
I am guessing if I stopped pumping gas when the pump first shut off,,, maybe I could get 15 mpg also ??? LOL !!!

Maybe by using Cruse Control you could keep it under 80 ???
If I were to hit 80 in our MH,,, I would be hearing some CRAP from the passengers seat !!! LOL !!!


Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:45 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Delco Bobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Media, PA
Posts: 2,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I am guessing if I stopped pumping gas when the pump first shut off,,, maybe I could get 15 mpg also ??? LOL !!!

Maybe by using Cruse Control you could keep it under 80 ???
If I were to hit 80 in our MH,,, I would be hearing some CRAP from the passengers seat !!! LOL !!!


Nah, the passenger are pined against the back wall due to the acceleration forces.
__________________
2017 Dynamax REV 24RB
2018 Ford F-150

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Nah, the passenger are pined against the back wall due to the acceleration forces.
LMAO !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sunseeker

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.