Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #21

I’ll throw in my 2 cents to try and help. I agree this must be very frustrating. But let’s look at some facts. The screw appears not to be in straight just as “Hoglou” has mentioned. And then you had someone fix it for you. The problem should have been researched right then. The thickness of the wood flooring, the length of the screw, and what type (self tapping)? It should not be screwing into the wood floor but only the frame work below to hold the floor. but self tapping screws do that anyway.

And just what is the screw being fastened into under the floor?
In order of what would be best.

Thru hole with flat head screw with washer and nut below (locktite) If you can locate where the screw is below. And that is the problem as I do not believe it was ever screwed in straight and therefore will not show as being tapped thru below.

Next size larger self tapping screw same length, most likely after you know the floor thickness and what it is going into. So it would act as the same but put in straight, and not be faked out by just threading into the wood floor. You say it cannot be pushed down or even stepped on to push it down. It does not seem to be stripped or you would be able to push it down with some effort.

If you just cannot see or identify where the screw is going then it makes it not as easy. And my personal opinion would be just as Joshua has stated “there are about 12 others width wise, so the floor is not going anywhere. Just simply remove screw (the floor is not raising at all) and forget it all together. If the installer had realized his mistake and pulled the screw and left it empty you would have never know.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Racer View Post
I’ll throw in my 2 cents to try and help. I agree this must be very frustrating. But let’s look at some facts. The screw appears not to be in straight just as “Hoglou” has mentioned. And then you had someone fix it for you. The problem should have been researched right then. The thickness of the wood flooring, the length of the screw, and what type (self tapping)? It should not be screwing into the wood floor but only the frame work below to hold the floor. but self tapping screws do that anyway.

And just what is the screw being fastened into under the floor?
In order of what would be best.

Thru hole with flat head screw with washer and nut below (locktite) If you can locate where the screw is below. And that is the problem as I do not believe it was ever screwed in straight and therefore will not show as being tapped thru below.

Next size larger self tapping screw same length, most likely after you know the floor thickness and what it is going into. So it would act as the same but put in straight, and not be faked out by just threading into the wood floor. You say it cannot be pushed down or even stepped on to push it down. It does not seem to be stripped or you would be able to push it down with some effort.

If you just cannot see or identify where the screw is going then it makes it not as easy. And my personal opinion would be just as Joshua has stated “there are about 12 others width wise, so the floor is not going anywhere. Just simply remove screw (the floor is not raising at all) and forget it all together. If the installer had realized his mistake and pulled the screw and left it empty you would have never know.
I definitely appreciate the feedback, gathering information to best remedy the situation.

"And just what is the screw being fastened into under the floor?
In order of what would be best."

You cannot see or identify where the screw is going. Maybe Forest River can support the design or setup.

I agree with, just removing it, if plenty of other mounting points for the floor........most likely would of fixed and I assume no more issues........

"(the floor is not raising at all) -" Not real sure on this, since it is backing out rather quickly this time.......Now I agree that, simply tightening down the original faulty screw, may has even made the issue worse of it not staying put.

Others claim they just tightened down the screw coming up, and have not had further issues.

HogLou and 17racer I appreciate the information.

Markiemark

Markiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:30 PM   #23

Tighting a crooked screw will only lower the thrust resistence buy further reducing the thread contact area (problem will be, wait for it.... pop up again). All things said I would remove it, drill it with an 1/8 drill to get it straight(I would want to see evidence of metal shavings), pack it full of jbweld with a toothpick standing straight up. Once cured 48 hrs. I would reinsert the original fastener. This makes a redneck heilcoil, as there is little load on fastener it should only last about 25 yrs... the toothpick gives the screw a defined easier path to travel, and the screw will cut new threads in the jbweld.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:31 PM   #24

Well my thoughts are still the same without seeing in person.
The (self tapping?) screw looks crooked and as if it never tapped into the material below. And actually only wedged in between the floor and what is under. That would have the opposite affect that you desire on pulling down or holding the floor. Would probably be pushing the floor up slightly which would be very hard to see as it would not be one tiny spot but distributed across an area. In driving, vibrations and pressure would force the screw up (or floor down) skipping the threads that were made into the wood. And the second time the problem happened faster with the floor actually going down in position and the screw coming up slightly. Giving the same result with the screw sticking up again from the floor.
If you just cannot see what is under it then it is time to say goodbye to that screw. It has not been of any help since day one of you ownership.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:40 AM   #25
Class C Representative

There are cross members that go the width of the floor every few feet towards from front to back.

Did the service shop use the same screw, in the same hole?

If you pull the screw out it's not going to damage the integrity of the floor nor will the floor pull up. When you pull out the screw measure it and get back to us?
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
There are cross members that go the width of the floor every few feet towards from front to back.

Did the service shop use the same screw, in the same hole?

If you pull the screw out it's not going to damage the integrity of the floor nor will the floor pull up. When you pull out the screw measure it and get back to us?
What is the best way to quickly get a hold of you?

Thanks,
Mark
Markiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #27

I'm having the same bolt issue with my floor. I have a FR 2011 Windjammer and there are 5 bolts backing out of the floor in a line and the flooring appears to be "bening" and the bolts creating bumps in the vinyl flooring. Can't access from underneath so I guess the only thing to do is cut the flooring but I don't want to open a can of worms. Image attached.

http://tinypic.com/r/6942eo/9
LoriMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring