Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2021, 01:00 PM   #81

2007 E450 Forrester 2861DS

Just returned from a 2500 mile trip and noticed the front tires are wearing and cupping on the inside. These were new in November 2019, about 5000 miles on them now. The truck tire place, Colony Tire, balanced and did an alignment when purchased. The specs are attached. From what I'm reading, they need to be improved. Which spec is causing the inside wear? I have an appointment to have them realigned and I'd like to be knowledgeable enough to talk to the alignment guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1688.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	265216   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1689.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	265217  
Dave1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:39 PM   #82

The camber on the right is -.7, the limit is -.5 so that’s not right. The other side is -.5 right at the limit, so it should be adjusted too.

I think most have the camber set at 0 or a little positive because when you really load the rig the suspension moves more negative.

The toe looks OK.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:12 PM   #83

Well finally got my 2021 Sunseeker 24' in for an alignment...

I asked for +5-+5.5 caster, he said it was originally +3, he moved it to +3.5
The camber was +1.5, moved it back quite a bit, set the toe

Drives somewhat better, not as well as I was hoping but I can feel the difference

At least I know it's been checked/set

Toy4Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:18 AM   #84

The tire shop said they couldn't get my 30ft RV on their lift, so they couldn't make the adjustments. It would cost over $500 to change the caster. Wonder how they do an alignment? Can it be done on the floor? I'm losing faith in that shop.
Dave1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:03 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1941 View Post
The tire shop said they couldn't get my 30ft RV on their lift, so they couldn't make the adjustments. It would cost over $500 to change the caster. Wonder how they do an alignment? Can it be done on the floor? I'm losing faith in that shop.
If the shop is capable of measuring the alignment, I don’t see why they couldn’t make adjustments without a lift, except as a matter of convenience.

In the midwest, on a 27’ E-450, I had camber, caster, and toe adjusted into spec for $300, including the cost of new adjustable bushings. Sounds like you need to find a new shop.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:43 AM   #86

I had my 30’ RV done at Black’s Tire in Raleigh, NC. They do commercial trucks so 30’ was not a problem. They ran it up on the lift. They have several location in NC, including New Bern. Perhaps they can be your solution.

Blackstire.com

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:48 AM   #87

The shop I used didn't have a lift, the alignment rack was floor level and they tech stepped down into a pit to replace the bushings and do the alignment...

Good luck finding a shop
Old 11-30-2021, 12:41 PM   #88

Most automotive repair shops won’t work on vehicles that weigh over 10,000lbs. I took my E450 to a shop that works on Class 8 trucks, 18 wheelers. They set the caster with new adjustable bushings, $400.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:09 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
If the shop is capable of measuring the alignment, I don’t see why they couldn’t make adjustments without a lift, except as a matter of convenience.

In the midwest, on a 27’ E-450, I had camber, caster, and toe adjusted into spec for $300, including the cost of new adjustable bushings. Sounds like you need to find a new shop.
Ditto. Same for my 32 foot E-450. 300 for the same work. I used a shop that works on commercial medium duty trucks.
Sunseeker16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:26 PM   #90

Finally got my 2021 Sunkeeker, 24' aligned...

Camber was originally set to +2 both sides, toe was close, caster was +3.25 and +3.5 (L/R).

Tech set the camber and toe, left the caster as is, even though we talked about it...

Didn't drive any better, wasn't happy with leaving the caster so I called them up 2 days later after stewing on it... they agreed to redo the alignment and set the caster to +5-5.5.

Another hour drive each way, the RV mechanic (not the first guy who worked on it) pulled me into the garage to share with me that the readings I was given on my first trip for caster was wrong (said he would speak to the other mechanic), they are actually +5.5 and +6 (L/R), the camber and toe was set correctly, IOW, nothing for him to do... 2 hours round trip and over an hour there for nothing

He then recommended some suspension updates to significantly help, Koni shocks, SuperSteer Trac Bar for the rear and a SuperSteer Safety Plus bracket for the front steering... $4500, ouch

Anyone performed these updates and if so, what kind of improvements did they make?
Old 12-10-2021, 12:01 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post

Camber was originally set to +2 both sides, toe was close, caster was +3.25 and +3.5 (L/R).

Tech set the camber and toe, left the caster as is, even though we talked about it...

Didn't drive any better, wasn't happy with leaving the caster so I called them up 2 days later after stewing on it... they agreed to redo the alignment and set the caster to +5-5.5.

Another hour drive each way, the RV mechanic (not the first guy who worked on it) pulled me into the garage to share with me that the readings I was given on my first trip for caster was wrong (said he would speak to the other mechanic), they are actually +5.5 and +6 (L/R), the camber and toe was set correctly, IOW, nothing for him to do... 2 hours round trip and over an hour there for nothing

He then recommended some suspension updates to significantly help, Koni shocks, SuperSteer Trac Bar for the rear and a SuperSteer Safety Plus bracket for the front steering... $4500, ouch

Anyone performed these updates and if so, what kind of improvements did they make?
Were you ever shown the actual before and after alignment measurements from the alignment machine? In my case and in most cases i read about, the actual machine readout numbers are shared with the customers (like you see in post #81).

I’m not sure you can adjust camber and leave caster as is. Rotating the bushing affects both, and the adjustment is a compromise between the two, as I understand it.

Is there a charge for adjustable bushings on your invoice?
Old 12-10-2021, 08:55 AM   #92
Have Camera will Travel

Quote:

So if I understand correctly the caster was already at 5.5 and 6 when you took the rig in? I didn't think that setting was possible without changing to an aftermarket caster bushing.
In my case the bushings were changed to get to that setting and made a big difference over stock.
That said it still drives like a drunk sailor but it is better.
I just picked up a set of Koni golds but they wouldn't get put in until the spring.
2000 W inverter.
Koni FSD shocks and upgraded castor bushings.
Canadian Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:01 AM   #93

I have since learned they don't use a computer to do alignments, done manually so no readout of before... they do have the after from the tools they use. The first mechanic gave me the settings based on "the notch on the bushing", the second mechanic said he took a reading using the alignment tool (for whatever that's worth). The second mechanic was waaaaaay more knowledgeable than the first guy for sure

Yes, they did change out the bushing, or at least they said they did and yes I was charged for them

It doesn't drive any better, however at least I "think" it's properly aligned

These guys apparently do a ton of RVs, guess I got what I paid for, oh wait, I paid full price $407, parts/labor

I spent a lot of time trying to find someone to do the work, at least from the 2 that finally called me back LOL
Old 12-10-2021, 10:14 AM   #94
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
…He then recommended some suspension updates to significantly help, Koni shocks, SuperSteer Trac Bar for the rear and a SuperSteer Safety Plus bracket for the front steering... $4500, ouch

I would be happy to go over your list of “stuff” but rather than cluttering this sticky thread up I would suggest a new thread. That way all the towables can jump in and tell you about what they did to their F150.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:04 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
I would be happy to go over your list of “stuff” but rather than cluttering this sticky thread up I would suggest a new thread. That way all the towables can jump in and tell you about what they did to their F150.

Sad but true.
Old 12-18-2021, 09:40 PM   #96

Hi, I just wanted to check and see if the Jayco warranty covered this for you ?

Thanks
joeyga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #97

If you are talking to me, the answer is no. Jayco would not cover that.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 10:13 AM   #98

As for me, FR would not because of 2 things

1. I'm not the original owner
2. Must be done within the first 90d of delivery

Otherwise he said he would have covered it

Good luck
Old 02-24-2022, 10:58 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEC2020 View Post
Found a shop in New Orleans that added 2 degrees +caster to my Forester.

Picked up and test drove, it almost drives itself. We were ready to sell, it was so bad with the wondering. We are so excited.

Thanks to all that posted about caster adjustment.

What shop did you use I live in Slidell and need mine done bad thanks
Laissez les bon temps rouler
cmnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:01 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubelle View Post
We live in Amite so not too far from you. Usually stay in Bayou Segnette SP during Mardi Gras. What is the name of the shop in N. O.? We have a 2017 3010DS.

Did you find out what shop it is ? I live in Slidell and need it bad.
Laissez les bon temps rouler
cmnelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, caster, e350, e450, ford, play in steering wheel, tire damage, wandering, wheel