Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2022, 04:59 PM   #121

I just want to give a 'shout out' to both Harvard and RVrover for the research and posts. We just bought our slightly used '21 Forester 30' RV on the Ford E450 chassis and I really didn't like the handling, especially on two-lane roads or when a semi-trailer went by. Our unit came with Hellwig sway bars, but the wander in the steering was a problem. Just had Sid's Alignment in Springville, Utah replace the caster sleeves with adjustable ones, add + caster adjustment and do an alignment. Sid's understood and agreed with Harvard and RVrover's recommended adjustments. Now the ride is much more stable and enjoyable! Now the only thing I might still consider adding is a steering stabilizer. Thanks!
2ezriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:04 PM   #122

Thanks to everyone on this site. I bought a used 2002 Coach House Platinum XL232 in August of 2020. It was scary to drive at freeway speeds. The first thing I did was to inspect the front end steering and suspension as well as the rear suspension. I was surprised to see that the ball joints, tie rod ends and linkages were in great shape. I did some research and found that Ford caster needs to be set above 5 degrees. I went through this coach and have replaced: Caster bushings, Alignment, front and rear shocks,front and rear sway bars with Hellwigs, power steering gear box (Ford Reman, had excessive play), steering stabilizer. I am a retired auto and heavy truck technician so I am familiar with these type of repairs.The combination of repairs made this easier to drive and not be a white knuckle experience. The lesson here is to drive a coach at freeway speeds before purchase (I did not). This coach already had a Super Springs trac-bar. I spent a year and a half going through and replacing worn out components. For those that are afraid to drive their coach, there are some tips that may help. Just don't jump in and replace everything under your chassis.Verify that the parts are bad and go one step at a time. I did not pay a lot for my coach because how badly it handled. It was a fixer-upper for me. Many first time coach owners will replace everything under the sun and not be happy. Remember, you are driving a box on wheels.Every component I replaced was simply worn out. Each item made a noticeable improvement. Some may say Koni shocks are better than Bilstiens.That is really up to you to decide as they are both quality parts. I hope some of this information is found to be helpful. I have done a ton of research and spent many hours under my coach making repairs. In the end, I have a nice coach that does not scare the bejeebees out of me on the freeway.
1perwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:12 PM   #123

I took this advice and had my Sunseeker aligned. The difference was amazing. It was way out. Best advice ever. Thanks everyone.
FlSunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:04 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlSunseeker View Post
I took this advice and had my Sunseeker aligned. The difference was amazing. It was way out. Best advice ever. Thanks everyone.
In an 11/6/2022 post you indicated you had just picked up your Sunseeker. I assume it was a new unit and you are the first owner. You say here the alignment was “way out”. If by that you mean it was outside Ford spec as delivered, then you may have an opportunity to pursue a reimbursement from Forest River for your alignment costs, if you had costs. If desired, you can contact the Forest River warranty representative for your region.

I received a check for $300 from FR for my costs to correct a misaligned new Sunseeker.
Old 12-09-2022, 03:21 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
In an 11/6/2022 If by that you mean it was outside Ford spec as delivered, then you may have an opportunity to pursue a reimbursement from Forest River for your alignment costs, if you had costs. If desired, you can contact the Forest River warranty representative for your region.

I received a check for $300 from FR for my costs to correct a misaligned new Sunseeker.

Back in 2017 when I purchased my motorhome the dealer never mentioned anything about an opportunity to get reimbursed for an alignment. I guess it was meant to be kept somewhat of a secret
🤫
bayoubengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 04:55 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubengal View Post
Back in 2017 when I purchased my motorhome the dealer never mentioned anything about an opportunity to get reimbursed for an alignment. I guess it was meant to be kept somewhat of a secret
��
Right. When I bought in 2019, my dealer did not mention anything about an alignment warranty reimbursement. I learned about it through this forum. When I again brought it up up with my dealer, they claimed to know nothing about it. I then worked directly with Forest River. It took a lot of emails and delays but finally got processed.

I have no idea if this program was discontinued since 2019, but I’d guess FR might still be shipping some E series motorhomes that are outside alignment specs.
Old 12-09-2022, 05:04 PM   #127
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Right. When I bought in 2019, my dealer did not mention anything about an alignment warranty reimbursement. I learned about it through this forum. When I again brought it up up with my dealer, they claimed to know nothing about it. I then worked directly with Forest River. It took a lot of emails and delays but finally got processed.

I have no idea if this program was discontinued since 2019, but I’d guess FR might still be shipping some E series motorhomes that are outside alignment specs.
Doesn’t surprise me that the dealer knew nothing about it. I’ll bet the dealer salesperson was working at Walmart the week before…..in the shoe department.

Seriously….most dealers sell anything under the umbrella “RV”. That means more brands and models by different manufacturers than companies that make aspirin.
They can’t possibly be up on some of the topics covered herein the forums.

Hey…..just for fun…..next time anyone is at their local dealer, just chat about cars, and ask them what kind they own/drive. Have them show you it for fun.

Now ask them what RV they have personally. Better yet, have him show you some photos of it on the cellphone. Bet you get that “deer in the headlights look”. Even more so, if you’re talking motorhome issues.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 02:47 PM   #128

Iíve had my 2023 FR Forester 2441DSF Ford E450 chassis now 2 months which I bought brand new and feel it is unsafe to driveÖ wish I had done a good test drive before I bought it, it would not be in my driveway now. Iíve read all the inputs in this thread and thought I could take care of the wandering and play in the steering. It came with beefed up sway bar in the rear as well as upgraded Bilstein shocks and airbags. I knew it would drive like a truck and expected that, but what I experienced us truly scary. The things Iíve done with some success is played with the airbags and added a 1 3/8Ē Roadmaster front sway bar and a SAF-T-PLUS steering dampener. All helped some especially inflating the airbags to 80 PSI more or less. Iíve tried to get an alignment as many have suggested but not in my wildest dreams did I think it would be so difficult to find a place in the Oklahoma City area to find a shop. The usual light truck shops said it was too big for them the large truck shops said it was too small. I am unsure of what caster bushings to get as every place does not list 2023 model year. And forget Ford (even their commercial truck center) and rv dealerships are no help.
Any help from the community would be greatly appreiciated.
Rittersrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 02:53 PM   #129

My Google search for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rittersrv View Post
Iíve had my 2023 FR Forester 2441DSF Ford E450 chassis now 2 months which I bought brand new and feel it is unsafe to driveÖ wish I had done a good test drive before I bought it, it would not be in my driveway now. Iíve read all the inputs in this thread and thought I could take care of the wandering and play in the steering. It came with beefed up sway bar in the rear as well as upgraded Bilstein shocks and airbags. I knew it would drive like a truck and expected that, but what I experienced us truly scary. The things Iíve done with some success is played with the airbags and added a 1 3/8Ē Roadmaster front sway bar and a SAF-T-PLUS steering dampener. All helped some especially inflating the airbags to 80 PSI more or less. Iíve tried to get an alignment as many have suggested but not in my wildest dreams did I think it would be so difficult to find a place in the Oklahoma City area to find a shop. The usual light truck shops said it was too big for them the large truck shops said it was too small. I am unsure of what caster bushings to get as every place does not list 2023 model year. And forget Ford (even their commercial truck center) and rv dealerships are no help.
Here, I did a Google search for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ford ok city.png
Views:	23
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	282388  

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 03:04 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rittersrv View Post
I could help you with a great shop in kansas city if you want to go that far. Midway Ford Truck Center.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 03:13 PM   #131
Have Camera will Travel

I had the same issue, couldn't find anyone that would install castor bushing. Finally found a small one man 4wheel drive shop that put them in for me. He was even able to source someone that could do an alignment.
2000 W inverter.
Koni FSD shocks and upgraded castor bushings.
Canadian Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 07:46 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
I could help you with a great shop in kansas city if you want to go that far. Midway Ford Truck Center.

Moog does not make the 2023 model bushing. I suspect a 2022 would work as it does not appear to have changed. I was fortunate that it was not that far out. I felt like you do as I was fighting it continuously at speed. Now no problem. Still amazed it fixed so much. I am still planning on sumo springs. The shop was not a big shop in Panama City Beach. It took me a lot of calling to find the one or two shops capable.
Old 12-19-2022, 09:05 AM   #133

To Rittresrv,
Check the chassis manufacture date. Even though the house is 2023, the chassis may be a 2022. This is common In rv manufacturing, especially early in production year.
Bill and Gail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:46 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Gail View Post
To Rittresrv,
Check the chassis manufacture date. Even though the house is 2023, the chassis may be a 2022. This is common In rv manufacturing, especially early in production year.

I suggest everyone get all the information from the VIN. I checked mine before I finalized my buy, it was sent to FR in August as a 23. You also will find out a lot of information as there are rear end gearing and other items including warranty
Old 12-19-2022, 02:52 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlSunseeker View Post
I suggest everyone get all the information from the VIN. I checked mine before I finalized my buy, it was sent to FR in August as a 23. You also will find out a lot of information as there are rear end gearing and other items including warranty

Thank you for that suggestion, I checked and it is a 2023 Ford E450 chassis with a 2023 FR Forester house.
Rittersrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 06:56 PM   #136

Toe out was way off on mine... no bushings needed. count myself lucky.
Lucky to hold it in the road!! Constant darting from side to side.
bw

Tags
alignment, caster, e350, e450, ford, play in steering wheel, tire damage, wandering, wheel