RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #21

Wow, so many recommendations!! I had the same problem and here's how I eliminated the problem quite easily.

What your describing sounds like spark knock or otherwise known as pre-ignition. Same thing that I had. Regardless of the brand of fuel, the MAF (mass air flow) sensor gets dirty, which hinders its ability to accurately measure airflow across its sensors and it tells the computer to lean out the fuel mixture. This is much more if a problem under load.

The fix? Buy a can of CRC MAF sensor cleaner. Then remove the air ckeaner snorkel and air filter, and look up into the air cleaner duct (still mounted) and you will see the MAF sensor. Spray that several times (about 3-seconds each time) and reinstall the air filter and snorkel. Fixed.

You can do this yourself and save a ton of money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2116.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	197880  
Mach428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:23 AM   #22
Usually Confused Member

It’s a couple of weeks since the original post. Has anyone done anything about this or are y’all just driving around making noise?

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach428 View Post
Wow, so many recommendations!! I had the same problem and here's how I eliminated the problem quite easily.

What your describing sounds like spark knock or otherwise known as pre-ignition. Same thing that I had. Regardless of the brand of fuel, the MAF (mass air flow) sensor gets dirty, which hinders its ability to accurately measure airflow across its sensors and it tells the computer to lean out the fuel mixture. This is much more if a problem under load.

The fix? Buy a can of CRC MAF sensor cleaner. Then remove the air ckeaner snorkel and air filter, and look up into the air cleaner duct (still mounted) and you will see the MAF sensor. Spray that several times (about 3-seconds each time) and reinstall the air filter and snorkel. Fixed.

You can do this yourself and save a ton of money.
You should take the MAF out and clean it and let it dry naturally no air. K & N filters oil can clog them up. Don't touch the inside just spray it. Had to do this on our old car.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidogtx View Post
Well, I had a friend recommend Lucas Fuel treatment so I've used it in every second or third tank.
I may try the Seafoam while I set up the appointment at a Ford dealer.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep you posted.
If you really have a rod knock related to a bad rod bearing, there is no snake oil engine elixir that will help you.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #25
Chief tinkerer

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	198273 this page from the 2017 manual leads me to believe that occasional minor pre-ignition knock is not unusual. But I do like the tip on keeping the MAF clean. When I replaced the air filter it was pretty dirty and I believe the MAF is just downstream.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #26
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Attachment 198273 this page from the 2017 manual leads me to believe that occasional minor pre-ignition knock is not unusual. But I do like the tip on keeping the MAF clean. When I replaced the air filter it was pretty dirty and I believe the MAF is just downstream.
Thatís a generic page in every Ford owners manual. No current engine from any manufacturer should have pre-detonation sounds unless the computer is not working properly. Iíve noticed a major increase in power from a Ram hemi when using premium fuel because the engine controls bring the timing up to match the fuel. When the premium is replaced by regular the engine computer reduces the ignition timing so pre-detonation will not happen. It is programmed to keep the timing just right for economy without pre-detonating.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:59 AM   #27
Chief tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Thatís a generic page in every Ford owners manual. No current engine from any manufacturer should have pre-detonation sounds unless the computer is not working properly. Iíve noticed a major increase in power from a Ram hemi when using premium fuel because the engine controls bring the timing up to match the fuel. When the premium is replaced by regular the engine computer reduces the ignition timing so pre-detonation will not happen. It is programmed to keep the timing just right for economy without pre-detonating.
....... noted

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 03-09-2019, 07:42 AM   #28

As it been almost a month now since the OP has replied, I think he has moved on.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:33 AM   #29

I am having the same problem, following
lacrawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
As it been almost a month now since the OP has replied, I think he has moved on.
I'm back...sorry, didn't realize all of the additional comments had been made...a lot of great input.

So I took it to a shop with a 25 year Ford Truck mechanic who test drove it...after it had been sitting for a couple of months in storage. No knocking what-so-ever...he said everything sounded great. He didn't put it on the computer as he didn't want to charge me (since he heard no issues.) I've driven it another 60 miles on the highway since then and no knocking.

On our last trip I was alternating tanks of "regular" and "extra" (not premium) and was still getting the same knocking at that time so it wasn't bad gas. I like the idea of cleaning that air input sensor and may try that before our next big trip. Thanks!

Days Camped 2020 - 29/Days Camped 2019 - 71/
Days Camped 2018 - 49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #31

Just got back from South San Padre. 750 miles, round trip.
I cleaned the MAF sensor and quit using the Lucas gas treatment.
The pinging was greatly reduced.
I'd rather not have any pinging but we were towing for the first time on this trip.
We're going back down next week, no towing this time. We'll see how it sounds. Regular gas, Buc-ee's and Chevron.
If I hear it again this trip, off to the dealer but cleaning the sensor may have helped.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #32

Great to hear. As I stated, it helped my engine. You will have to do this rather rountinly whenever the pre-ignition worsens. I keep a can of the cleaner onboard so that I can give a quick cleaning while on the road.
Mach428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:01 PM   #33
Chief tinkerer

Older post, but as a follow up to anyone still here from"Team clatter", I just did the 5 Star Tune. This totally and completely eliminated the problem. No ignition clatter at 2100ish RPM. I can now set the cruise on 63 and don't have to work the throttle to stay away from that RPM. The downshifting while climbing a grade is also as it should be; holds the gear longer holding RPM, downshifts one gear at a time when it needs to.

This is such an improvement. I don't even care if it changed the gas mileage.

If you are interested. https://5startuning.com/product/7015fs/

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 07-19-2020, 09:19 AM   #34

[QUOTE=Gidyupgo;2336150 I just did the 5 Star Tune. This totally and completely eliminated the problem.

This is such an improvement. I don't even care if it changed the gas mileage.[/QUOTE]

Gidyupgo,

Did you track the mileage at all? Did it go up, down or stay the same?
dougc905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:00 AM   #35
Chief tinkerer

dougc905, we have family in another city that is 500mi round trip. I did not measure it, but my "refill at 1/4 tank" fuel stop hit at the same little town that we have always refilled at when we make this trip.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 07-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #36

Same-ish then!

2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2650S-CDW
dougc905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #37

Engine knock 2018 Ford V10

Mine did this at 10000Miles, Ford dealer checked a number of items and re-programed the computer. Knock was gone for 1800 Miles. Took it back to Ford and they claim to find nothing wrong. They talked to Ford engineering and they claim this is normal on this engine and to use higher octane gas. Mine does it mostly at about 55 miles per hour on small grades. A little bit at lower speeds, but do not hear it at 65 to 70 miles per hour. I guess I will try some higher octane fuel and see what happens.
volare1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:12 AM   #38
Ambassador Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volare1 View Post
Mine did this at 10000Miles, Ford dealer checked a number of items and re-programed the computer. Knock was gone for 1800 Miles. Took it back to Ford and they claim to find nothing wrong. They talked to Ford engineering and they claim this is normal on this engine and to use higher octane gas. Mine does it mostly at about 55 miles per hour on small grades. A little bit at lower speeds, but do not hear it at 65 to 70 miles per hour. I guess I will try some higher octane fuel and see what happens.
Higher octane or a top tier gas might help. However, if you calculate your new cost you might find that a 5Star is cheaper and offers other advantages in the long run. Iím getting 9.0 towing over about 17,000 miles. YMMV
No PMís.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:29 PM   #39

Engine knock 2018 Ford V10

I see an ad in Motorhome mag for custom engine tuning, there web site is www.urvp.com. What is the web site for 5star? What is the cost for 5star to do this? I am in Canada so when I convert our money it adds a lot to the cost of anything from the USA right now. I am going to try a mid grade first and see if that makes any improvement. I do understand that when 5star does there thing the truck just runs better.
volare1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Older post, but as a follow up to anyone still here from"Team clatter", I just did the 5 Star Tune. This totally and completely eliminated the problem. No ignition clatter at 2100ish RPM. I can now set the cruise on 63 and don't have to work the throttle to stay away from that RPM. The downshifting while climbing a grade is also as it should be; holds the gear longer holding RPM, downshifts one gear at a time when it needs to.

This is such an improvement. I don't even care if it changed the gas mileage.

If you are interested. https://5startuning.com/product/7015fs/
So once you've done this tune, you are now running 100% on regular grade gas and getting 100% performance, correct? Have you noticed any reduction in gas mileage at this point? The clattering is so annoying and comes and goes on my E450. Thx.

Days Camped 2020 - 29/Days Camped 2019 - 71/
Days Camped 2018 - 49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, forester