Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2021, 01:56 PM   #81
ChucknBecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobagbob View Post
I plan on doing this when I get the RV back home; where did you purchase the pulley and bolt, part numbers?

Just ordered the kit...on back order don’t ya know....the guy at the Ford parts counter was amazed when I showed him the video with sound of the belt flapping around. My guess is the reason the idler pulley or a new belt fixes this problem is that is a long stretch of belt and at 2100 rpm or so is a harmonic of that length and width of belt.
lckspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:04 PM   #82

Walked into the local Ford dealership here in Starke Fl where e are staying they had it in stock. I guess I have a project for next week
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:01 AM   #83

I installed the pulley today. Like post #76 says, it’s easy and just takes a few minutes. I started the engine and the pulley goes ‘round and ‘round. What more could you ask for? Long trip is coming up soon for the real test.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:35 AM   #84
Kanadian Kamper

Sounds like your pulley is still too loose. Maybe you could tighten it up with a bigger wrench.

Just sayin’

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:01 PM   #85

Update....

Got to take the MH out for 60 mile drive. The new pulley works great. In fact, the engine is a little quieter overall.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:02 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Thanks for the work order and pictures so quickly.
It’ll be interesting what the price will be here in Canadian dollars
however I’ll look around for another source other than from Ford dealer.
I’m sure I’m not the only one here, waiting to hear how the installation goes.

Are you in a climate where you can fire up the V10 to actually hear the rattle or whatever noise this is supposed to address, and then do the install to see if this truly is the remedy?

Anxiously waiting on the sidelines.

Did you find a Canadian source aside from Ford? Interested in doing this as well.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:34 PM   #87
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
Did you find a Canadian source aside from Ford? Interested in doing this as well.
Not yet because a lot of places are still closed due to COVID lockdowns.
No hurry. Won’t be driving/camping for awhile.

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 02-16-2021, 04:40 PM   #88
ChucknBecky

Just installed the idler pulley. took 20 minutes. Have not driven it yet but let it warm up for about 15 minutes and revved up to 3 grand and held the rpm at around 2100...slowly going up and down between 1900 and 2200....quiet as a church mouse!
Easy install. Glad I did it.
lckspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #89
Chief tinkerer

Ford E450 Engine Knocking, Serpentine, idler pulley, engine rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lckspt View Post
Just installed the idler pulley. took 20 minutes. Have not driven it yet but let it warm up for about 15 minutes and revved up to 3 grand and held the rpm at around 2100...slowly going up and down between 1900 and 2200....quiet as a church mouse!
Easy install. Glad I did it.
Thanks for updating us!

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:57 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Not yet because a lot of places are still closed due to COVID lockdowns.
No hurry. Won’t be driving/camping for awhile.

I found them on EBay but the shipping is as much as the parts. I’ll check out Ford locally.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #91
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
I found them on EBay but the shipping is as much as the parts. I’ll check out Ford locally.
I didn’t find anything at Princess Auto. Our American audience would see them as Harbor Freight. I didn’t check at Canadian Tire yet.

I’ll see what my Ford dealer says next week.

Ken and Terry
Old 02-26-2021, 03:02 PM   #92
Kanadian Kamper

My local Ford dealer priced the pulley and bolts (they apparently come packed in two’s)........~$55 CDN.

I’ll wait until I take mine out for a spin in April to see how much slack my belt has, and if I need the pulley.

Ken and Terry
Old 02-26-2021, 04:12 PM   #93

Rockauto has the pulley from three manufacturers. Get the bolt from a Ford dealer.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:03 PM   #94
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Sure. This is what I used. 2016 E450

Picked up at local Ford dealer.
Accessory Drive Belt Idler Pulley 1L2Z8678AD
Bolt. Pulley. Idler. (Upper) N808102S437 came in package of 2

Just remove the air filter and you have good access from above.
There is enough flex in the belt to just push the pulley on to the boss with a little pressure, then install the bolt. Most are using some lock-tite.
Got-r-did 2/27. Noise gone. Thanks Gary
Old 02-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #95

Put the pulley on and then drove 850 miles. Works fine. Engine sounds like a normal engine.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:27 PM   #96
Chief tinkerer

Ford V10 engine rattle, knock, Serpentine, pulley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Put the pulley on and then drove 850 miles. Works fine. Engine sounds like a normal engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Great! Thanks for the updates!!

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:01 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
So wanting to confirm that forum members with the E450 engine who have experienced what I call "engine knocking"...sort of a metallic sounding "clattering" at a specific RPM range are eliminating this problem by adding the pulley that's described here?

I have heard a number of different reasons for this issue such as "bad gas"...the OEM Ford tune on the engine, etc. Would sure like to make it go away for once and all on my unit...thanks!

OTR 2024-22 / 2023-29 / 2022-52
2021-51 / 2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:08 PM   #98
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkRVHog View Post
So wanting to confirm that forum members with the E450 engine who have experienced what I call "engine knocking"...sort of a metallic sounding "clattering" at a specific RPM range are eliminating this problem by adding the pulley that's described here?

I have heard a number of different reasons for this issue such as "bad gas"...the OEM Ford tune on the engine, etc. Would sure like to make it go away for once and all on my unit...thanks!
So.....if you install the pulley, and your noise goes away, you can report back to add credibility to this solution.

Ken and Terry
Old 03-01-2021, 02:13 PM   #99

Quote:

Nobody has fixed the noise by solving the issues (mostly nonexistent) of bad gas, poor tune mod, etc.

When I took my MH to a Ford dealer and they said the noise was the fan belt I thought no way...it had to be something else making pre detonation sounds. They proved the case by removing the belt and running the engine from idle up to 4000 rpm....NO noise. Installed new belt and no noise for the next 5,000 miles.

Two belts later I read gidyupgo’s post and pix, and also viewed the video on the Jayco forum. I was convinced and ordered the parts. As proved by a few others here, adding the pulley is the solution. It takes less time than checking tire pressures.

Just order the part. It will make the problem go away...”once and for all”
Old 03-05-2021, 07:21 PM   #100
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:

No guaranty that it will work on your unit. Ya pays your money and ya takes your chances. I can tell you that mine started at about 500 miles. Took it to Ford Fleet and they said it was the serp. belt so they replaced it. Noise gone...for a while. Then I did a 5 Star. Did not notice the noise which I attribute to operating at a lower rpm. Then I noticed the noise on high idle cold start when I went to storage to run the motor. Subsequently saw the thread on Jayco and thought that $30. was worth the try.

Tags
ford, forester