RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2016, 01:48 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,925
Ford V10 engine slightly surging climbing mountains

On my last 2 trips with mountains to climb, I had an incident on each trip when in T/H and in 3rd gear. At around 2700-3400 there was slight surging in RPM. Only lasted until speed or gears changed. Nothing shown on the dash tach, Scangauge tach or trouble codes. When I tried to duplicate it today on the way home, I couldn't.
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 12 trips 38 nights
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:39 AM   #2
tjm
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 75
I had something similar on my work pickup. 07 Ford F-150. Basically when I was going up hill under load, I would get a surging or hesitation feel. Even though it didn't throw a code, it basically just need a tune up, new plugs and wires. This was when I had about 150,000 miles on it. I currently have over 200,000 and it hasn't done it since.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm View Post
I had something similar on my work pickup. 07 Ford F-150. Basically when I was going up hill under load, I would get a surging or hesitation feel. Even though it didn't throw a code, it basically just need a tune up, new plugs and wires. This was when I had about 150,000 miles on it. I currently have over 200,000 and it hasn't done it since.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, but this is a new MH, 6K on the odometer.
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 12 trips 38 nights
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:28 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,037
Probably just the torque converter.


2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
__________________

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
Dahagen
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cascade Idaho
Posts: 468
On my V10 Class C I had surging problems, especially at city traffic speeds. Turned out there was a tech bulletin on it that one of the shift sensors (there were 6 or 7 total) was not telling the tranny when to shift. Replaced the sensor and fixed the problem. I bought the sensor on line and did the simple replacement myself. Check for tech bulletins (not safety recalls) with a Ford dealer.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
Dahagen
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cascade Idaho
Posts: 468
BTW, my unit at the time was a 2005 Coachman Leprechaun.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
Member
 
michael621's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ocean Shores WA
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Thanks, but this is a new MH, 6K on the odometer.
My 2015 does the exact same thing when climbing a mountain pass in lower gear. If you find a solution, please share. My local Ford dealer does not work on motorhomes, and the one that does is a major inconvenience to get to. I will need to bite the bullet and go at some point since I should get the oil changed soon!
__________________
2015 Forester 3051SF
michael621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Posts: 21
V10 surging

I have a 2015 FR3. We have pulled from sea level to 8000 ft with no problem, but my mechanic friend told me that these engines love to rev, so he recommended always using the tow/haul mode and let the motor spin.
Havasudave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Dodge Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,358
Try a different grade of fuel. Maybe you got a tank full of E15. That will certainly cause an issue!
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL 350TS, Hellwig front/rear sway bars, Sumo Springs, Blue OX True Center steering damper
2013 Ford Explorer LTD toad, Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP><Tow Brake

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:26 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 69
If you find there is no mechanical problem try 5star tune. The programming as it comes from Ford is not optimized for motor homes. After we installed it the trans shifted much better. It no longer jumps into over drive going over overpasses.
kswing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:41 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Wisconsin/Florida
Posts: 1,623
We have a 2014 C with V-10. I have notice what I will call pulsing when trying to hold the pedal steady. I was thinking it may be due to road surfaces causing slight fluctuations in gas pedal pressure.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
mkekflyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ft Myers FL
Posts: 227
V-10 Engine surging

Were you guys using T/H uphill or downhill when you mention the surging..I sat in on a seminar at Goshen this last year with the Ford factory rep. The main topic evolved into what T/H is used for by most of us, and what the factory says it's designed to do & how to use it...Several of us there thought T/H was to be used when towing, to keep the tranny from burning up in OD under the load & for pulling hills...according to the rep, T/H is for engine/tranny breaking going down grade..by turning it on (button out) and tapping the breaks, the tranny downshifts one gear, per tap, and holds it there, acting as a tranny/engine break...he told us, when we were asking about the high engine noise with the higher RPM, and he said not to worry, not the engine/tranny but the fan noise. According to him, you aren't gonna hurt it, that's what it's designed to do.....blew me away, didn't know that... All this said, could maybe the surging you guys experienced be a factor of the T/H mode being on and not allowing the tranny to shift itself???? Just questions guys, I'm really curious now....

Getting ready to start 4down my Edge behind my 2016 Sunseeker in a few weeks, and this is an aspect I for one, would appreciate you guys experience in this area...
__________________
2018 Georgetown 378 XL
Loved her, listed her, sold her
mkekflyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkekflyers View Post
Were you guys using T/H uphill or downhill when you mention the surging..I sat in on a seminar at Goshen this last year with the Ford factory rep. The main topic evolved into what T/H is used for by most of us, and what the factory says it's designed to do & how to use it...Several of us there thought T/H was to be used when towing, to keep the tranny from burning up in OD under the load & for pulling hills...according to the rep, T/H is for engine/tranny breaking going down grade..by turning it on (button out) and tapping the breaks, the tranny downshifts one gear, per tap, and holds it there, acting as a tranny/engine break...he told us, when we were asking about the high engine noise with the higher RPM, and he said not to worry, not the engine/tranny but the fan noise. According to him, you aren't gonna hurt it, that's what it's designed to do.....blew me away, didn't know that... All this said, could maybe the surging you guys experienced be a factor of the T/H mode being on and not allowing the tranny to shift itself???? Just questions guys, I'm really curious now....

Getting ready to start 4down my Edge behind my 2016 Sunseeker in a few weeks, and this is an aspect I for one, would appreciate you guys experience in this area...
That's interesting as I was turning the T/H on and off. We left Yosemite Valley and climbed in T/H and when we started downgrade, I tapped the brake and coast for a while. As I came upon a curve where I needed to slow down a bit I would softly put on the brakes as hitting it too hard would cause it to drop a gear and whine like crazy. The only way to stop the whine was to turn off the T/H. Perhaps, I shouldn't be in T/H climbing as it could be preventing the transmission from shifting. I thought I read somewhere that T/H will let the transmission run cooler. I forgot to do that last week going to Death Valley and climbing from Panamint Valley over Towne Pass. 3/4 the way up I noticed the transmission temperature rose from 203 up to 231 degrees. I pulled into a turnout and turned on the T/H then let it cool down for 5 minutes. Cruised up and over with temp of 203. Coming up that grade caused the surging at one point.
Coming back from Yosemite, I used T/H and climbed the Grapevine with it floored and at one point I was doing 70 mph and 5,100 rpms. Not for very long as it shifted and dropped down to 4,300.
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 12 trips 38 nights
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:15 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,396
Sagecoachdriver,

One suggestion was that the surging is due to the transmission not shifting properly. You can add a transmission gear ratio readout to your Scangauge. If you see the gear ratio wandering around it would be telling you that the transmission isn't shifting completely into gears. I don't recall, but you may also be able to see torque convertor lockup, which may not be locking and/or remaining locked.

As an aside, it seems odd that electronic transmission controls look at the gear ratio, but the controls watch the input versus output shaft speeds as the gears change to adjust how quickly and firmly to change, in order to maintain shift quality over its life, and to adjust for the operator's driving style and the service.
__________________
RamblerGuy
2011 Sunseeker 3100
2016 Ford Edge Toad
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:59 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,925
I think it's me and I'm trying to drive it like my old Winnebago with the 4R100 transmission with O/D. It's not the same.
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 12 trips 38 nights
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:09 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Texas
Posts: 526
Quote:
Getting ready to start 4down my Edge behind my 2016 Sunseeker in a few weeks, and this is an aspect I for one, would appreciate you guys experience in this area...
OT, but I'm towing my 2016 MKX (Edge based) 4-down behind my 2015 Forester 3051S right now and it's doing OK, not in TH, on the hills here in the Texas Hill Country.

It's our first trip with the brand new MKX, we had a Fiat 500 for a toad previously. Obviously the Fiat was a lot lighter.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
TOAD: 2016 Lincoln MKX
Creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:52 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Wisconsin/Florida
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
That's interesting as I was turning the T/H on and off. We left Yosemite Valley and climbed in T/H and when we started downgrade, I tapped the brake and coast for a while. As I came upon a curve where I needed to slow down a bit I would softly put on the brakes as hitting it too hard would cause it to drop a gear and whine like crazy. The only way to stop the whine was to turn off the T/H. Perhaps, I shouldn't be in T/H climbing as it could be preventing the transmission from shifting. I thought I read somewhere that T/H will let the transmission run cooler. I forgot to do that last week going to Death Valley and climbing from Panamint Valley over Towne Pass. 3/4 the way up I noticed the transmission temperature rose from 203 up to 231 degrees. I pulled into a turnout and turned on the T/H then let it cool down for 5 minutes. Cruised up and over with temp of 203. Coming up that grade caused the surging at one point.
Coming back from Yosemite, I used T/H and climbed the Grapevine with it floored and at one point I was doing 70 mph and 5,100 rpms. Not for very long as it shifted and dropped down to 4,300.
When we got our 2500TS last year, I read through the Ford manual on T/H mode. The manual stated that proceeding downhill in T/H mode, the transmission will downshift one gear each time the brakes are applied.

Not having access to the Ford manual, I checked on line. Sure enough, the Ford trans will downshift one gear every time the brakes are applied-all the way down to first gear. For the reason you just mentioned, it may be necessary to apply the brakes without another downshift. By touching the accelerator, the trans goes back to high gear and the sequence starts all over again.

The below video explains it.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...96&FORM=VRDGAR
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #18
Boondocking Only
 
ddbck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 360
Custom tunes from 5 Star Tuning is the way to go. You will climb those mountains with no problem. It's like having a new engine & transmission.
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:59 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: oakdale, ca
Posts: 290
I have a squeal going from 3rd to 4th while towing and I took it to 3 ford dealers and they would not even look at it. Ford has sent out a bullitan out to all dealers saying this sound is a normal sound and that they will not be reimburst for even looking at the problem. I have been told that it is normal. I even took it to a state inspection station and they said that if it is nothing that they can look at either.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
JimOneil43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddbck View Post
Custom tunes from 5 Star Tuning is the way to go. You will climb those mountains with no problem. It's like having a new engine & transmission.
What is the approx cost for their tuning program? Do they send you a chip or something that you load into your Ford computer module or what?
Thanks
__________________
Retired and loving it...Can't wait to get back on the road!
2017 Forester 3051S ("Farley")
Born April 18, 2016
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ford, light, mount

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.