Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2022, 11:43 AM   #1

Forest River Forester 3051S microphone in windshield

We have a 2016 Forest River Forester 3051S and there are a couple of items in the drivers windshield that I don't know what they are for.
There is a small square black box in the lower left the windshield and then there is what appears to be some sort of microphone in the top left corner of the windshield.
Does anyone know what these might be?

Thanks.
BIKERMHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:34 PM   #2

The box is possibly an XM radio antenna or a gps antenna, the microphone is for your Bluetooth hands free phone calls.
What kind of dash radio do you have?
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Moved thread from the General Community Discussion section to the Forester and Sunseeker sub-forum since the OP is asking for model-specific information.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKERMHA View Post
We have a 2016 Forest River Forester 3051S and there are a couple of items in the drivers windshield that I don't know what they are for.
There is a small square black box in the lower left the windshield and then there is what appears to be some sort of microphone in the top left corner of the windshield.
Does anyone know what these might be?

Thanks.
Does your coach have the blind spot monitoring system? Our Sunseeker, built in 2019 has it. There is a square black box on the front left corner of the dash by the windshield. It is a GPS sensor for the blind spot system, so that the system enables itself when the vehicle is going over a certain speed. My dealer claimed it was a satellite radio antenna, but that was not correct.

Ours has a microphone too, that is tied into the Sony dash radio.

We don’t use either of these features. I disabled the blind spot monitoring system.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
The box is possibly an XM radio antenna or a gps antenna, the microphone is for your Bluetooth hands free phone calls.
What kind of dash radio do you have?
We have a Jensen radio. You are probably correct that it is the XM radio antenna. We don't use the XM radio. Also don't use the Bluetooth hand free phone. Not sure how anyone could hear a phone call with the noise in the cab. Thanks for the info.
BIKERMHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:04 AM   #6

Our (dead) in dash Jensen had GPS, so the antenna on the dash is the GPS receiver. A second antenna for the XM satellite is on the roof at the top of the forward support for the awning. The mic is, indeed, for Bluetooth phone.

This is a horrible unit. The maps were completely unreadable, particularly underway. They could be updated for a fee, and were based on the worst (or next to worst) GPS provider, TomTom. Couple with that, GM's dash design doesn't lend itself well to having a GPS unit in that location. A radio/CD, yes, but not a GPS.

Ours worked for a year or better, then just completely died. While we never used it, the power/volume knob had a red LED indicator in the off position. That's how I know it died... one day, I noticed the absence of the red lamp.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemc View Post
Our (dead) in dash Jensen had GPS, so the antenna on the dash is the GPS receiver. A second antenna for the XM satellite is on the roof at the top of the forward support for the awning. The mic is, indeed, for Bluetooth phone.

This is a horrible unit. The maps were completely unreadable, particularly underway. They could be updated for a fee, and were based on the worst (or next to worst) GPS provider, TomTom. Couple with that, GM's dash design doesn't lend itself well to having a GPS unit in that location. A radio/CD, yes, but not a GPS.

Ours worked for a year or better, then just completely died. While we never used it, the power/volume knob had a red LED indicator in the off position. That's how I know it died... one day, I noticed the absence of the red lamp.

I had the Jensen as well and hated it, when it started spontaneously quitting and restarting on its own I changed it out for a Pioneer dvd receiver with Apple Car Play.
No navigation in the Pioneer, I use a Garmin 890.
The Pioneer still has a GPS antenna but it’s used to assist Google and Apple maps and save your phone battery.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
305, 3051s, forest river, forester