Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 08:39 AM   #1

Forest River forrester 3251

Good morning all, we have a 2019 3251 that has 2 slides. We are 2 days into a 14 day trip with several stops. The rear slide is getting jammed up and stops after a second of operation. Slidesrails and seals were just lubricated last week. I found the control box and the LEDs are telling me there is a wire short between the #2 motor and control box. I do the override sequence and it pulls the slide in without issue. First question -How can there be a short if the override works perfect? Second question- will it hurt to keep using the override sequence to operate the slide for a few weeks? Thank you for any help or guidance yall can give
Bryan dubeansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:39 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Bryan

I'm getting with production for their input. will let you know what they say.
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:32 AM   #3

Hi Bryan

There are a couple things you can do. You can keep doing the override it won't hurt it.

We do need to find out why it's messing up. You mentioned that the seals and rails was lubricated recently if any lubrication got on the motor it could cause that issue of short between motor and controller. Also there could be wire loose where it plugs in the motor or controller the little pins that plug into the bigger plastic plugs could be coming out or the wire could be broke. If any water got on the motor also could cause the problem. To check the wires is simple if you can move the slide move it in about 4 or 5 inches the motors are at the top of the slide behind the rubber the plugs are at the top. It's a tight fit but it can be done. I'll try to keep monitoring the forums for your reply.
Darth Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:46 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

To Kary and Darth VaderÖ..

Thanks tons on behalf of all of us Forester and Sunseeker owners out here for helping Bryan directly.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:34 PM   #5

I am very impressed with the rapid responses, so thankyou. I will look into the suggestions tomorrow if the rain breaks and will let yall know
Bryan dubeansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:19 AM   #6

Maybe spraying some WD40 on the motor connector? If water or lube is causing the problem.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:46 PM   #7
Forester 3051S 2015

It may be a broken IC (wiring) connection atop the motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan dubeansky View Post
Good morning all, we have a 2019 3251 that has 2 slides. We are 2 days into a 14 day trip with several stops. The rear slide is getting jammed up and stops after a second of operation. Slidesrails and seals were just lubricated last week. I found the control box and the LEDs are telling me there is a wire short between the #2 motor and control box. I do the override sequence and it pulls the slide in without issue. First question -How can there be a short if the override works perfect? Second question- will it hurt to keep using the override sequence to operate the slide for a few weeks? Thank you for any help or guidance yall can give
Hi Bryan,

I had a similar issue with the slide on our 3051S. Error 8: "Hall signal not present". The override worked fine.

I followed the Lippert checklist, swapped the harness cable connections to the controller from motor #1 to #2 to see if the cable or the motor was giving the error. It was consistently the motor. I tried replacing the harness cable (which made no difference, so I could've saved myself the time and money).

Eventually I took out the motor giving the error. The small IC board atop the motor (type 236575) is fragile as heck, and easily damaged on removal and reinstallation (until you figure out how to ease it out easily, which can be done with patience). One of the top connections (brown) to the IC board had broken, causing error message 8. Yours is probably indicating error message 6:"Motor short circuit". If you gently remove the motor and check the IC connections you may find the culprit. The next trick is to re-solder the connection, for which you need a steady hand and soldering talent. I eventually gave up and bought a new 236575 motor on eBay for around $120. It's worked fine since then, and I carry a spare 236575 as part of my essential spares kit.

Hope that helps, even if only to exclude one possible source for the problem.
BMW R1200 GS Adventure (2008)

Namutony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:50 PM   #8

Have the same unit and had the same problem. ended up being the motor. Hope that ends up not being the case but when I did my digging into it it seems for most that is what it ends being.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergiop View Post
Maybe spraying some WD40 on the motor connector? If water or lube is causing the problem.
Please don't use WD-40 get some die electric grease. If you miss and get the motor it will ruin it.
Darth Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergiop View Post
I have seen WD40 cause some plastics to later disintegrate and crumble. I would not spray it on a plastic connector block with being certain the material can withstand it.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:27 PM   #11

2018 Forester 32' Slide Jamming Up

I am a new owner of a 2018 Forester 32' with one full size slide on the drivers side. Slide comes in fine but when we open the slide during the first few inches it hangs up on what appears to be a metal brace not quite in the middle of the front part of the slide. It clicks load and jumps twice before it is freed up then it opens fine. Any ideas? I called the dealership and they cant get me in for months.
HappyCamper1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #12

I thought this was a new thread. My bad I am a rookie here. How do I post a new thread?
HappyCamper1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 07:54 PM   #13
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper1111 View Post
I thought this was a new thread. My bad I am a rookie here. How do I post a new thread?
Tap on “Forester and Sunseeker” up at the top of this thread.
That will bring you to all the threads for “Forester and Sunseeker”
Just a little below that, slightly to the left, look for the BOLD field bubble that says “New Thread”
Tap on that…and you’re off.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river