Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2018, 06:23 AM   #1

Forester 2016 3011DS Exhaust Pipe

We finally managed to take a trip in the RV this March down to Florida to visit family and friends. Total distance we drove was only 1,503 miles. Everything was working fine until we were about 2 hours from home on the return leg. All of a sudden there was a much different sound coming from the engine. No warning lights came on and when I pulled off the road to check, I couldn't find anything. After we got home is when we discovered a dime size hole in the exhaust pipe between the catalytic converter and muffler. Seems a little unusual since we have only 9,200 miles on a 2016 vehicle. Our Forester 3011 DS is on the Ford E 450 chassis.
I go to our local Ford service center where I have had my oil changes and some warranty work done before only to be told management had instructed them to no longer service RVs. Bummer. Seems they share their space with Nissan and Nissan has expanded and needs more space. Ford gave me the names of three other Ford dealers 45 mins to 2 hours away who might be able to do service on RVs. I call and was told they are not set up to handle RVs. The dealer where we bought the RV also can not do the work.
In the meantime, I have found a muffler shop who can fix the exhaust pipe, My concern now is if I have the work done by this muffler shop will it void the warranty on the Ford chassis. I was told by Ford the exhaust pipe is still under warranty.
Any comments suggestions would be appreciated.
Many thanks
JerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:36 AM   #2

Ford customer service could not provide info on a service center ? Maybe call them (Ford) back and ask for an independent service center ?
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Fixing a hole in an exhaust pipe is a safety issue. It also has nothing to do with your chassis warranty. My suggestion is that you find a Ford Fleet Service Center and have them fix it. If it is an OEM part, it will most likely be a warranty or good will repair due to
the low usage.

Edit: If the part with the hole is somehow a piece of the cataylic converter then you may be looking at an emissions control related issue which is a whole new ballgame.

Welcome to Lake Wobegon where Justin and David utilize abductive reasoning to help solve F/SS issues.
Happy Trails and Remember the Pequod.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Site Team

I'd try calling Ford's motor home service line at 800-444-3311. They should be able to help you find a dealer.
It is better to have too much truck than to have too much trailer.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #5

Exhaust leak

Check for a Ford Commercial or Semi Truck Service Center. Their racks should be able to do the work.
RetiredAF1955-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #6

Where are you located

Where are you at that there is no Ford dealer around that would service you?
mrpalmermr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #7

O2 Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Fixing a hole in an exhaust pipe is a safety issue. It also has nothing to do with your chassis warranty. My suggestion is that you find a Ford Fleet Service Center and have them fix it. If it is an OEM part, it will most likely be a warranty or good will repair due to
the low usage.

Edit: If the part with the hole is somehow a piece of the cataylic converter then you may be looking at an emissions control related issue which is a whole new ballgame.
It is quite possible that this hole is supposed to hold an O2 sensor. There are often sensors both before and after the catalytic converter. Don't just let someone weld a patch over the hole without finding out what's supposed to be there.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:17 PM   #8

Had the same thing happen to mine, Dime shaped hole, there used to be a exhaust hanger welded to it, Mine broke loose and fell off. That,s what left the hole. I just cut a new piece of metal from from a piece i got at the muffler shop) and tig welded it over the hole. Added a new hanger and have not had any problems,
Old 03-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #9

JerJ - any update ?
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:37 PM   #10

Forester 2016 3011DS Exhaust Pipe Update: Sorry for not updating sooner. I live in Leland NC and had been taking the RV to Capital Ford in Wilmington for oil changes and any other Ford related servicing the RV needed. Most recently, however, Capital Ford said they will no longer service RVs because they do not have the space.
I called Ford Customer Service, and three other local Ford dealers but to no avail. One Ford dealer did tell me Beach Ford in Myrtle Beach SC might be able to help. I called and they said they would. Very friendly staff but service is a bit slow. I had a 10 AM appt. on 3 April and picked up the RV today, 5 April.
The exhaust pipe was not covered
under Ford warranty because the section that had the hole was the exhaust pipe extension Forest River added when the RV was built. I called American Guardian to ask if it is covered under my extended warranty I have with them and was informed any part of the exhaust system is not covered. Since it was a safety concern I went ahead and had the Ford dealer in Myrtle Beach SC fix it.
Thank you to everyone who commented and provided suggestions. The FORUM is a great resource to have.
Happy RVing
JerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:30 AM   #11
Tinkerer and Putterer

If you can't find someone to weld up the hole you can fix it in your driveway or at a camp ground.

I believe the exhaust pipe is 3.5 inches. I was in a similar pinch and purchased a muffler clamp from Summit Racing and some muffler weld from the local parts store. Filed off the slag from the old tack weld where the old muffler clamp used to live, ran a bead of muffler weld on the clamp around the area where the clamp came into contact with the hole and bolted that sucker on. No more leak.

FR extended the exhaust on my 3011 when they stretched the frame. Logically they moved the exhaust hanger but the point where the hanger used to be was weakened. My hole popped up the second year I had the rig but hasn't leaked again the three years since.

Here is the band clamp. You can probably find one at the parts store. The only reason I went with Summit was that I ordered other items at the time:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-692350-1

The "muffler weld" is a tube of paste that cures when heated.

Permatex Muffler/Tail Pipe Sealer 3 oz.(80335) - Body Repair - Ace Hardware

The entire repair takes less than $20.00 and under 30 minutes.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #12

khybskid

I was wondering that with all this talk about exhaust if anyone has had to replace there tailpipe My daughter made a bad turn and wrapped the pipe against the driveshaft at 2am in new jersey. People came down and sawed off the pipe at the muffler and disposed of the mangled pipe. I cant find a replacement online anywhere. Is that tailpipe custom on the fr3 30ds with a v10 ford 53 chassis??
khybskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #13

Any good muffler shop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by khybskid View Post
I was wondering that with all this talk about exhaust if anyone has had to replace there tailpipe My daughter made a bad turn and wrapped the pipe against the driveshaft at 2am in new jersey. People came down and sawed off the pipe at the muffler and disposed of the mangled pipe. I cant find a replacement online anywhere. Is that tailpipe custom on the fr3 30ds with a v10 ford 53 chassis??
Any good muffler shop (e.g., Midas) can take a stock length of straight pipe and run it through their benders to make whatever is needed. Usually this is very inexpensive--labor rates are low and they like the challenge.

If you want to do them a favor, go find an RV of the same model, crawl under and take pictures so they have something to work from.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #14
Certified Curmudgeon

I believe the tailpipe is manufactured and installed by the shop that does the chassis modification. That also means that, like your defroster vents, there are probably no two alike. Lots of pipe benders out there but you will need one that does trucks. The auto exhaust shops will probably not be able to get the box inside. Also, you might want to be concerned with possible drive shaft damage. You can drive a long way without a tailpipe but not very far without a drive shaft. YMMV

Welcome to Lake Wobegon where Justin and David utilize abductive reasoning to help solve F/SS issues.
Happy Trails and Remember the Pequod.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester