Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2020, 07:57 PM   #1

Forester 28 GTS mattress advice

I have a 2018 28 GTS with the aft bedroom slide. I am on the search for a good mattress that will work with the incoming slide. Present factory mattress just sucks, the diagonal slit that is required puts a hole right where your "butt" is. I had a "foreveraire" air mattress on a earlier unit and it worked well, but because of the "covo" virus they are out of stock and do not know, if ever, when more will be available. Has anyone retro-d these unit with another system and remedied the problem. Love the MH, just need a good nights sleep. Thanks.

Nomad
fordnomad 1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:24 AM   #2

If I follow, you have a similar mattress to us. We are looking at a custom mattress. Mattress insider will make what we need.

Had to repair the wood "flap". It is hollow, I made it solid the one piece of the mattress needs to be about an inch taller to offset the sliding piece.

Another issue is "mounting" the foot half. It comes snapped on three sides for stability. Our plan is to sew new flaps on the new piecez or to box in the bottom half on three sides.
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:28 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

I did not retro or modify the mattress itself however because I experienced the bubba divot I took steps to correct it. First I added a foam block across the head to keep that half from sliding off the ramp. I tried some contact grip shelf liner but it just rolled down with the top half.
Then with the separation issue solved, I added a 3” thick gel-memory foam topper and a quilted fitted mattress pad.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:08 PM   #4

Mattress issue

Thanks for your ideas. Have already tried the foam header fix with the xtra pad. Mattress itself must be filled with "corn husks" cause it still is terrible. Was hoping someone, short of a custom mattress, new of a quality airbed that was available. That I could just deflate and fold over when putting the slide in. Also it would be adjustable as to "hardness". My topper that i purchased would go on top for added comfort if needed. Foreveraire by Innomax would be my first choice, but not available due to "covo" they say. Any ideas of others??

Nomad
Old 11-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #5

All I’ve done is add a 3” memory foam topper with cover, I was surprised how easily it folded up when I bring in the slide with a fully made bed.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:51 PM   #6

Mattress issue

Still wonder why any of these manufacturers cannot put a decent mattress in from the start. Every RV I have had (from $$$$ to $) has had a (needs to be replaced) factory mattress. Just sayin!!!

Nomad
Old 11-24-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordnomad 1948 View Post
I have a 2018 28 GTS with the aft bedroom slide. I am on the search for a good mattress that will work with the incoming slide. Present factory mattress just sucks, the diagonal slit that is required puts a hole right where your "butt" is. I had a "foreveraire" air mattress on a earlier unit and it worked well, but because of the "covo" virus they are out of stock and do not know, if ever, when more will be available. Has anyone retro-d these unit with another system and remedied the problem. Love the MH, just need a good nights sleep. Thanks.

Nomad
Do you mean you have a Sunseeker 2800QS like Duckogram, with the (top half slides over the bottom half) mattress?
I’m assuming our wedge mattress is the same dimensions as yours, but ours is located in the full wall slide layout of the Sunseeker 2430S.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:11 PM   #8

We considered an inflatable as well. Look at the ones available for sofa beds. Some can inflate to 6 inches (if I remember correctly) instead of the normal for sofa bed 4 inches high.
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:21 PM   #9
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Do you mean you have a Sunseeker 2800QS like Duckogram, with the (top half slides over the bottom half) mattress?
I’m assuming our wedge mattress is the same dimensions as yours, but ours is located in the full wall slide layout of the Sunseeker 2430S.
Actually he has a Forester GTS 2801QS. I left the F off intentionally.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:48 PM   #10
Kanadian Kamper

I should have caught that!

2800 is a Sunseeker
2801 is a Forester.

2nd mistake this year.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:12 PM   #11

Mattress issue

Yes it is a Forester 2801. And at this point am seriously considering the air bed as a viable alternative. Have found a couple at 8" with built in pumps (120v). Even if I box in the foot, I have a built in box at the head. Can vary the pressure for firmness, use my "down 2" topper". Just want to make sure the matterial is tuff enough for inflate and deflate often. "Mc Giver" might win this one. We will see. Let you know.

Nomad
Old 12-05-2020, 11:38 PM   #12
DaLexusGuy

Strange, I have the same 2801QS (and split bed) but have never even noticed the split when sleeping.

I do think the bed is a bit firm (even though I generally prefer firmer beds) but nowhere near aggravating enough to go through the trouble of trying to replace it. Maybe I am just not camping enough!
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:12 AM   #13

Mattress issue

Well here is what I did.

Took out the split old mattress and replaced it with a very good adjustable air bed, which rhe brand of I have used before in other RVs. I sleep like a real person now, no morning aches or pains.

Upon removal I took the covering off the old one just to satisfy my curiosity. Foam was absolutely "crap". Would not return to shape when pressed readily. Was showing signs of degrading through major sluffing. Also was covered with thin visqueen type matterial so could not breath. The cover in itself was a work of art, but that is where it ended.

Very satisfied with the result. Took a chance, but it worked out for me.

Now on to perfecting my water softner regeneration unit so it actually works, but thats another story "Aqua Pro".

Nomad
Old 12-07-2020, 09:41 AM   #14
Certified Curmudgeon

Were you able to obtain a Foreverair?
Old 12-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #15

Mattress issue

Earlier I said that everywhere I looked was "out of stock" on these and unfortunately this is still the case. I did find one though on good old "Ebay" lightly used, ad said, took a chance, and other than not having manufactures warranty, is as stated. Plan to buy a "new" one when they finally come in.

They run about $150 for a queen if you shop around. They were actually designed for a replacement mattress in "sofa bed" so the material they are made of is very durable. Like the auto inflate/deflate, number setting, and auto inflate if it looses some air. Had a pump issue with one in the past and they stood behind the warranty. I just defate, fold forward. and pull in the slide. I think its comfort level for me is far superior to that of the original mattress. But that is just my opinion, Awaiting the new stock to come in, just in case there is a future issue with this one.

Nomad

Tags
forester, gts