Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #1

Red face Forester 3011DS Bunk Modifications

We are in our Class C for the winter months and struggle with "organized" storage for the bunk area. We are never going to use it for sleeping, and now have pull out plastic bins for the dogs stuff, and stuff we need as well but you can not utilize the front of the shelve area with small baskets without moving everything out of the way when needing to pull out the shelves. It is a mess. Have any of you modified this area with any built-ins or other shelving that you can easily get at without climbing up on the ladder.
We pulled out the "D" top dinette and built a bigger table so we can play games, etc. And removed the jackknife sofa for a better residential double recline love seat and a i Comfort queen size mattress. Also added a shower organizer to the wall next to the medicine cabinet and mirror for extra storage as well, the command hooks have worked great, and everything rides wonderful.

Also, has anyone removed the carpet and put down tile?

If you could send pictures of what changes you have done or adds that helped, that would be great.
lolasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:07 AM   #2

Look at post right above yours. I have pics of my carpet replacement in our 3011DS
Mach428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #3

I did see that, but was wondering if your tile in the kitchen ran under the carpet that is on the lower floor below the slide. Ours has a small strip that runs the full length and wraps around behind the cab seats.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #4

Yes, the vinyl was factory installed wall to wall underneath the slide as well
Mach428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #5

Over cab bunk conversion 3011DS

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV cabinets1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	195425

Last year shortly after taking delivery I decided to completely gut the over-cab area. Our needs were never going to include using the upper bed, but we really needed extra storage for bulky stuff. I regret not weighing the materials removed, but I would guess the mattress, console, etc. probably was 100 lbs.

The materials I used for the assembly probably weighed the same or a little less than 100lbs. The two center sections are sliding trays that pull out 24" to allow easy access to the far front area (the cabinet is 38" deep).

I used double faced foam tape under the front of the frame rather than permanent attachment with screws - meaning I could remove the whole assembly and not have any holes in the coach. The assembly has never moved a fraction in six thousand + miles

We use the center cabinets for personal stuff, meds, vitamins, etc. all stuff that we use several times a day each. The side cabinets are filled with extra bedding, extra clothing (I write this from Homestead Fl. and in the last month we have been thru 3 seasons Va.- Florida - a lot of clothes), space heater, other light things. I doubt the total cargo weighs 200 lbs.

Total cost was under $200, the most expensive parts were the plastic windows that cost 40 and custom mixed stain for 35.

For us it is a win-win project.
Tom
Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:30 PM   #6

Lolasmon,

From your earlier comment, is the love seat also a queen size bed? If so, do you have a make model number?

"removed the jackknife sofa for a better residential double recline love seat and a i Comfort queen size mattress".
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:17 AM   #7

Loveseat recliner

It is not a bed, did not need extra sleeping. It is a double reclining, got it at Hanks Furniture. We measured the area where the jackknife sofa was, went to a furniture showroom and started measuring and picked one that fit the space with about 6 inches spare on the sides so we could reach down and use the lever to recline. I don’t have the paperwork with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0670CC0B-CBA9-46CC-B78B-1A1D6D21045D.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	196207  

Tags
bunk, cat, forester, modifications