Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2021, 03:20 PM   #1

Forester 3051 / Sunseeker 3050 Bunk Cap

My wife and I just sold our Grand Design Imagine camper and we are looking at getting back to a Class C coach. We have looked at the 3050 and 3051 floor plans ..... looks like a great couples coach. With that said, does anyone have an opinion on the Trekker cap option vs. the standard bunk cap? We do not really need the extra bunk space and the RV appears to look more stream-line with the Trekker cap. I think the extra visibility without the bunk cap hanging over the cab might make a difference.

Also, we might have been spoiled by the GDRV fit and finish. Put a lot of miles on the camper and never had an issue. I am reading a bunch of Forest River owners who are not all that happy with quality control from the factory.

Thanks in advance for your advice and comments.
tryon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:43 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

.02˘

The trekker cap is like the replacement for the discontinued GTS series and Lexington coaches touted to be B+. Basically it is a conversion of a Class C when it comes to the E Series van builds. In the past there was an “Entertainment Center” conversion for the cab over for folks like you. Others bought the regular class C and built their own storage areas. I did not like the TV in the middle so I opted for the GTS 2800QS floor plan and love it. Keep in mind that the GTS is narrower and lower than a standard class C. That is probably why some manufacturers call them a B+.

There are other options to look at. Fleetwoods BT Cruiser, Nexus Viper, Winnebago’s Cambria and Aspect (used only), Phoenix Cruiser and Coachhouse are all like what you are looking for and tout a higher QC level than Forester/Sunseeker. Or you can wait for the new Coachmen Concord.

Comparing a mid range Motorhome to a higher level of towable is probably not going to get you to the answer you seek. Totally different animals.

The level of motorhome will greatly effect the cost. However, the floor plan is what is the most important. It has got to work for you.

Photos below are the GTS cap. I did add two more cabinets to on the ends…

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D62FC91D-72DF-407F-8847-E63F7A1AD652.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	265425   Click image for larger version

Name:	C110E341-4554-42EC-A1CC-B6B05497D9D4.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	265426  
Old 11-07-2021, 10:28 PM   #3

We have a 2017 3051 and love it. I used to hate what I call the "ball cap design" when we had a white 2860 2008 model. However with the new full body paint I really like it. It keeps the sun out of your eyes and you can crack the windows without blowing away, also great in a rain storm. We hardly ever use it to sleep in but the storage area it provides is great. I have considered building storage but it's awful handy the way it is.

We think it's a great floor plan for a couple also. Good luck shopping. We would really like to have a diesel for more pulling power. However while pipe dream shopping I really don't find a floor plan I like better than what we have. Thank goodness.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:16 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

If the topic is Trekker cap….

Regardless of the floor plan, because that’s such a personal preference that can’t be decided by all……we prefer the Trekker cap for a few reasons.

1. Aerodynamically, they drive so much better than those rigs with the overhanging compact the front. So much better.
2. We knew a bunk for us was never going to be used for additional sleeping….just extra junk would be carried up there.
3. We like the Trekker look……in the world of Class B+ or Class C Trekker….they’re a bit unique and always gather interest.
4. We don’t feel like we’re driving in a tunnel. The overhead units have that feeling. We also have much larger view upwards when in the mountains and valleys.
5. A number of bunk designs have the owners complain about the rain runoff from the roof drip rails, dripping right at the entry point where you climb into the cockpit. Sometimes they drip right onto the outside mirrors. Not all…..but it has been a topic of discussion.

We love being Trekkers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5A47EF54-813D-489F-8AB9-BC51507007CE.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	573.3 KB
ID:	265449   Click image for larger version

Name:	6D161C3A-3472-41F0-92E8-967AFC203046.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	608.0 KB
ID:	265450   Click image for larger version

Name:	668B2D0E-A496-4141-9D71-574D690D3032.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	610.5 KB
ID:	265451  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #5

Happy 3051

Good Morning!

While possibly biased, we are extremely happy with our 3051. The floorplan works very well for the two of us and our travels so far (nothing exceeding a month yet) have gone well. Based in Wisconsin, we've traveled as far south as Texas and to the east side of Montana. California for snowbirding is just around the corner.

We are lucky, as the second owners, the first guy had done all of the initial fixes/warranty challenges we hear so much about. That said, he didn't complain about needing much support, and we haven't ID'ed any significant work that would imply any quality issues out of the factory either.

We upgraded the jackknife couch to a (shorter) recliner loveseat, which allows the cab passenger seat to recline a little more; my wife really appreciates that on the longer legs of our travels.

We plan to use the cabover bunk for grandkid travel in the future, but it collects some of the light storage things at this time. blankets for lounging on the recliner, etc.

So, I think you're making a great choice, but... biased opion there,

Good Luck,

Larry

2 of us and a dog
2015 Forester 3051
2012 Ford Edge toad
after a couple of worn out pop ups!
ExFed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:24 PM   #6

Trekker cab on Forester 3051s

Love love love it. Nothing in the way to make our views less. We didn’t need the bunk nor did we want it. Didn’t need the storage either. So happy with it!!
Nancy0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:41 PM   #7

For us the bunk area is great for storage. We put blankets and pillows up there for couch use, DVDs, two tool bag type containers - one small one for meds and another for a catch-all for stuff taken but has to come back to the house. Hats, cords for charging phones, tablets, charging the TPM display, a couple of TV antennas, the swing out 40" TV mounted by FR. I store an electric 12v cooler after sitting on the floor after done traveling when we pick up the RV from storage. It take quite a while to get the refrigerator cool down for several hours to bring temperature down from 75 to 34 degrees. I don't know where else we would put stuff with out that bunk area.

It does help with the sun shining on the dash window, but I do hate the roof runoff spouts getting me and the door controls soaked when opening the doors.
Old 11-09-2021, 07:49 AM   #8

My interpretation of the original post is that the question is not about the floor plan, but it is about the Trekker cap.

We owned a class C with a bunk overhang for about 21 years. It was extremely rare that anyone slept on the bunk. It was just a dumping place for our motorcycle gear, coats, jackets, brochures from a place we visited, etc, etc. I hated cleaning the exterior of the bunk overhang. It was very difficult to reach the underside of it, and it made cleaning the windshield rather awkward. Lastly, I personally think the bunk overhang is ugly, and it appears less aerodynamic.

We searched for a new class C and one of our criteria was no bunk overhang. We looked at Cambria, Aspect, Nexus, Phoenix Cruiser, and other class Cs with no front bunk. So when we ordered our Sunseeker in 2019, we were sure to get the Trekker cap. We are very happy with it. It looks good and I can hand wash the whole front of the RV with an 8’ step ladder. I can’t say with certainty if it gets better gas mileage, but it’s not any worse. Forward visibility was not really an issue with the bunk, but it’s nice that the view is opened up with a Trekker cap.
Old 11-09-2021, 03:54 PM   #9

We have an older Lexington 283GTS with the trekker cap and love it. We had a motor home years back with the cabover bunk and it was just a junk collector. We’re well pleased with ours and anticipate it will see us to the end of our camping days.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:19 AM   #10
The Driver

Our Sunseeker has the Entertainment Option in the cab over. It has a very large drawer pullout on one side of the TV which is very nice for storage. And if you were handy, the TV could be mounted on a swinging bracket and there is lots of room behind. But I really like the Trekker cap.

If we had to choose, I guess I would leave it up to the DW.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sunseeker10.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	265594  
PoppySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:00 PM   #11

Class C Overhang

We have a 2017 3171 DS and have not been unhappy with the "big" front on top. Extra blankets, pillows, jackets, go up there and we don't add to the weight/stress on the roof joints The shade on the front and sides is great.
As noted the drip on the mirrors and doors is poorly planned, but what the heck, 24,000 + miles and no issues with this as 2nd owner.
retiredintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:01 PM   #12

I vote for trekker. That was the selling feature on my 2801QS. Absolutely loved it. Also, better engineering in my opinion. Hated the tunnel effect when driving the ones with the cap hanging over the front
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:20 PM   #13

Thank you all for the great input. Looks like we will be in the market for a 3051 with a Trekker cap if we can find one. Given the supply chain issues it appears that Forest River production and shipment of their 2022 Class C units has ground to a halt. MSRP pricing is moving upward and Dealer discounts are evaporating. Interesting times we live in ..... sure will miss our Fla get-away this winter.

Safe Travels!
tryon10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
305, bunk, forester, sunseeker